Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flu season ramping up, vaccine not a good match for current flu

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Flu shot does not use any aluminum adjuvant. You are safe on that. You will get exposed to more aluminum by eating food. Only ones in the US which use it are the hepatitis and diptheria vaccines.
    comparing an IM injection to eating something is foolish. you are so full of $#@!.
    Last edited by Kotin; 03-19-2016 at 02:43 PM.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    comparing an IM injection to eating something is foolish. you are so full of $#@!.
    Amen

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Weird. I've been feeling like crap and wasn't sure if I just had a really bad cold or mild flu. Been feeling randomly tired in the middle of the day and taking naps, but yet no fever.

I did get a vaccine last Fall so I've been wondering if I would have been down with major flu now if I didn't get that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    How much aluminum is in a vaccine? How much is considered harmful? How many hepatitus vaccines do you get in a day/ year?

Warning: Flu Season Peak Hits Late This Year — Like Maybe Now

It knocked me flat. Then it hit me with chills so violent only piles of blankets could calm them. It left me too weak to do anything but watch brainless TV all weekend, wondering how I’d become such a wimp that some garden-variety virus could lay me so low.

Then, Monday morning, my weekend misery suddenly all made sense.

“Believe it or not, flu season still hasn’t peaked,” said the email from Flu Near You, which crowdsources flu surveillance. “In most years, cases of the flu virus peak in February or early March, but as of this week, flu is still spreading and the height of it is not in sight yet, according to epidemiologists at the CDC.”

Aha. Nice to know that I wasn’t hit by sudden sloth. Though I got no lab diagnosis, chances are I was felled by the common virus that scares me most, far more than Ebola or Zika: the flu. Here on the Eastern Seaboard, we’d been largely spared our annual flu woes this year — until now. And nationwide, as of last week, flu reports were spiking in more than half of states, amounting to what’s looking like an unusually — though not uniquely — late peak to the flu season.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The nasty swine flu bug that’s putting thousands in hospital by mutating and getting MORE vigorous

Swine flu — officially called the H1N1 flu virus — is not only still with us, but has been the main strain of the virus circulating this flu season
    Overall intensive care admissions with flu are up from 1,187 in 2015 to 1,557 so far this year

By Grace Mccann - 21 March 2016

Something was terribly wrong. I’d just missed a call on my mobile from my 76-year-old father and while he’d usually leave a message, this time he immediately rang again.

In a barely audible voice, he said he was with his GP, who’d made an emergency home visit as he was feeling frighteningly unwell with flu-like symptoms. The doctor grabbed the phone to say he’d rung for an ambulance.

I was worried, naturally, but also shocked — Dad’s usually in perfect health and only three days before he’d been on great form, telling jokes and demonstrating his new hobby: playing the ukulele.

I met the ambulance at King’s College Hospital in London as Dad was stretchered in. His face was flushed and his hands felt hot and moist. He told me that he hadn’t eaten and had barely drunk for three days, and felt desperately weak.

It was horrifying to see him in such a state, but the biggest shock was yet to come. Swabs of his nose and throat revealed that Dad had the scary sounding swine flu, which I naively thought had disappeared after the 2009 pandemic.

In fact, swine flu — officially called the H1N1 flu virus — is not only still with us, but has been the main strain of the virus circulating this flu season, explains Dr Richard Pebody, head of flu surveillance at Public Health England.

Indeed swine flu has been one of four main strains of flu in circulation since 2009, says Professor Wendy Barclay, chair in influenza biology at Imperial College London.

It’s known to particularly affect pregnant women, adults with long-term conditions such as diabetes, and children — last week a three-year-old from Corby, Northamptonshire, died from suspected swine flu.

This year there has been a surge in the number of swine flu cases and in the number of flu cases ending up intensive care — nearly half of these intensive care admissions were for H1N1, compared with just 10 per cent last year.

Overall intensive care admissions with flu are up from 1,187 last year to 1,557 so far this year.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Overall intensive care admissions with flu are up from 1,187 last year to 1,557 so far this year.
    Out of 330 million, eh?

Sorry- I guess that is in the UK. 64 million people.

From the article:

Patients are usually admitted to hospital with flu only if they develop complications such as pneumonia.

Complications occur more often in the over-65s and under-twos, says Professor Oxford — which is why my father was sent to hospital. But this year the hospital admissions for flu have seen a spike in younger and middle-aged adults.

This is not a surprise when swine flu is about, explains Dr Pebody, as the elderly have tended to avoid the virus because they have immunity from the strain circulating between the 1918 pandemic and the late Fifties.

Swine flu also hits younger adults because they’re not given the jab. Yet despite the rise in swine flu cases and hospital admissions, the virus is less harmful than it was in 2009 (when it caused at least 388 deaths in the UK), partly because many of us have had it or been exposed to it.

That means we’re less likely to catch it again, and if we do, it wouldn’t be as severe. However, experts are concerned about the high level of swine flu cases and the rise in hospital and intensive care admissions.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-22-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Out of 330 million, eh?

Now you question government statistics? Shame on you. Obviously, that government statistic is like most, it's only good for year to year comparison. That is until they change the criteria (which they also love to do). It in no way indicates how many people have actually come down with this flu.

Out of 330 million, eh?

From the article:

Swine flu also hits younger adults because they’re not given the jab. Yet despite the rise in swine flu cases and hospital admissions, the virus is less harmful than it was in 2009 (when it caused at least 388 deaths in the UK), partly because many of us have had it or been exposed to it.
    Nice of you to highlight the part of the article that is bull$#@! propaganda. Some viruses hit young people with healthy immune systems harder due to cytokine storm effect. It has nothing to do with vaccines.

Confirmed flu hospitalizations in this country as of February 6th: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/w...cid=mm6506a3_e

During October 4, 2015–February 6, 2016, a total of 896 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations were reported, with a cumulative incidence for all age groups of 3.2 per 100,000.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Out of 330 million, eh?

From the article:
    Yea but if one person had died from not getting a vaccines, you guys would be all over RPF making a scene about the loss of that one person.

Confirmed flu hospitalizations in this country as of February 6th: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/w...cid=mm6506a3_e
    We have already established that this is a late season flu and those old statistics are meaningless. Or was that a different person assigned to the Zippy account on the first page of this thread?

Just pointing out that despite having five times as many people as the UK we have so far had fewer confirmed flu hospitalizations than they have. But if you are indeed so panicked about the recent spread of the flu, perhaps you could consider a flu shot. Or just relax. Stress makes you more susceptible to things like the flu.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-23-2016 at 01:45 PM.

"This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

Heard today that a family friend had the flu/possible pneumonia and couldn't be checked into their hospital due to it being filled. Had to be taken to a non-member hospital as an overflow measure.

There are definitely two things going around right now. One is the high-fever flu, the other is more like a cold, but mostly effects the chest. Some people have had both.

Report: Number of Arizona confirmed flu cases spikes compared to last year
    By Kaitlyn Ahrbeck/Cronkite News | April 4, 2016

PHOENIX — The number of confirmed flu cases in Arizona has increased 68 percent compared to the previous flu season, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services influenza summary report.

“Right now, we are seeing very high levels of flu in the state,” said Shane Brady, 29, an epidemiologist at the Arizona Department of Health Services. “We’re seeing almost 18,000 cases for this season, which is much more than previous seasons.”

The predominant strain is H1N1, but AH3B is also circulating at a high level, Brady said. H1N1 was commonly known as swine flu when it caused global pandemic during the 2009-2010 flu season. Back then it was a novel strain. Now, it is among the common flu viruses.
    http://ktar.com/story/999771/report-...-to-last-year/

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/mone...-flu/82617880/

Banner extends visitor restrictions due to flu
    Pat Ferrier - April 4, 2016

Because of a growing number of late-season flu cases, Banner Health is extending its restrictions on some visitors through the end of April at its three Northern Colorado hospitals: Banner Fort Collins, North Colorado Medical Center in Greeley and McKee Medical Center in Loveland.

UCHealth has similar restrictions in place at Poudre Valley Hospital and Medical Center of the Rockies until the threat is over.

http://wset.com/news/local/flu-seaso...alth-officials

Flu season widespread and late this year, say health officials
    By Suri Crowe

Flu season widespread and late this year, say health officials

LYNCHBURG, Va.(WSET)-The flu is overstaying its visit this year - according to the Virginia Department of Health.

The 2015-2016 Influenza activity Level is labeled as "Widespread" by the VDH.

It's difficult to track every case of the flu because not every person with the flu goes to the doctor.

But there have been enough confirmed cases for the health department to call for an extended flu season.

Flu remains widespread in Kentucky
    Kentucky health officials say that the flu is continuing to rage across the state and is expected to continue to be a problem well into next month.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am in my first full day of recovery and take my word for it. YOU DO NOT WANT A CASE OF WHATS GOING AROUND.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    I am in my first full day of recovery and take my word for it. YOU DO NOT WANT A CASE OF WHATS GOING AROUND.
    That's why I warned you a month ago.

Everyone says it's bad. I may have had a variant of it years ago, and after that, you understand how people could die from the flu. Took about a month to recover.

Did you have a flu shot?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12