View Poll Results: Which Would You Focus On?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • finance libertarian political candidates

1 7.14%
  • create a libertarian mass-media network to convert the general population

8 57.14%
  • create the "libertarian Harvard" to convert the best and brightest

1 7.14%
  • create a libertarian think-tank to finance serious libertarian scholarship

0 0%
  • other

4 28.57%

Thread: If I Had $1 Billion To Spend On Promoting Libertarianism, I Would...

If I Had $1 Billion To Spend On Promoting Libertarianism, I Would...

The options are not mutually exclusive, but select the one which would be your primary focus.

If "Other," please explain.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would buy 10,000 acres of forest.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I voted candidates. But would also spend it to push pro-liberty ballot propositions, lobby for pro liberty legislation/repeal of bad laws. Other things too.

I really don't see your other options having as much of an impact. Did the Judge having a show on Fox help us? Maybe a little, but Ron Paul's campaigns did 1,000 times more, I love Judge Nap but he encouraged us more than he converted us. 10 million could win a guy like him a damn senate seat.

Colleges and think tanks have an influence on our society but I doubt you could reverse things just by having some libertarian ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Dear @William Tell,

Do you really think that it's feasible (given any amount of money) to sustainably win elections?

...given the irrationality of the electorate?

I do not.

I mean, we can win here and there, but, ultimately, it's Sisyphus' workout routine.

So...how about converting the masses?

Well, this is like painting a frog; it keeps jumping in the water. Kind of a futile enterprise.

Alternately, I voted for the "libertarian Harvard" (or, better, Eton: ...young child's fragile eggshell mind).

With enough money, and good taste, and wisdom, we could cause the 0.01% to be hardcore libertarians.

...and how much money will they have?

...to then donate to libertarian causes?

...think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    I would buy 10,000 acres of forest.
    ...with which you would dick about and play Rambo (I would too)?

What else would you do with that land?

Put a school on it and you've got something..

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Dear @William Tell,

Do you really think that it's feasible (given any amount of money) to sustainably win elections?

...given the irrationality of the electorate?

I do not.
    I do actually. The electorate might seem irrational, but they are pretty predictable. Rand won because he was able to fund a better Senate campaign than his opponent. Same with Massie and the others. Our guys usually do pretty good but get outspent and out smeared. Combining the grassroots with money wouldn't guarantee we always win but if you are talking a billion $ absolutely we could win a good percentage of the races we pick.

I mean, we can win here and there, but, ultimately, it's Sisyphus' workout routine.

So...how about converting the masses?

Well, this is like painting a frog; it keeps jumping in the water. Kind of a futile enterprise.
    Well yes and no. Spending a billion on trying to convert the general population to liberty in general would be a waste. But we could successfully fund certain issue campaigns. I mostly agree though.

Alternately, I voted for the "libertarian Harvard" (or, better, Eton: ...young child's fragile eggshell mind).

With enough money, and good taste, and wisdom, we could cause the 0.01% to be hardcore libertarians.

...and how much money will they have?

...to then donate to libertarian causes?

...think about it.

I get your point. I just am not convinced making a "libertarian Harvard" or Eaton could attract and convert the people you want. Or ensure the success for their careers we want or see coming out of the current colleges. The Ivy League is a gateway for/from the elite. We wouldn't be the elite. Also we currently do have some very wealthy supposed friends of liberty and most of them don't do anything for us. Every now and then one might give 500,000 + to a super pac but that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Hard to chose just one because if I had that kind of money I'd probably try all of them but I'd focus on the mass media and the school.

I chose create a libertarian mass-media network to convert the general population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Other: Fund an awareness campaign teaching people how to subvert the system. How to live their own lives in peace and harmony without funding or interacting with the beast. How to make the state irrelevant in their day-to-day lives.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Other: Fund an awareness campaign teaching people how to subvert the system. How to live their own lives in peace and harmony without funding or interacting with the beast. How to make the state irrelevant in their day-to-day lives.
    You could do that with a mass media network. You can host a living free show on mine.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You can host a living free show on mine.
    Only if I can call myself a "performance artist" to shield me from liability.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Only if I can call myself a "performance artist" to shield me from liability.
    Only if you wear a costume and have a stage name.

I think creating a libertarian mass-media network would have the most impact.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    I think creating a libertarian mass-media network would have the most impact.
    It appears there are going to be a lot of them. I wish I knew who else voted for it so I could size up muh competition.

In addition to CaptUSA's free living show, I would want a Hannity and Colmes type show with an anarchist and a statist. I'm thinking of hiring Occam and TheTexan as co-hosts but I'm not set on that if someone else would like to try out.

I would call it, Banana and Texan. No first names.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It appears there are going to be a lot of them. I wish I knew who else voted for it so I could size up muh competition.
    Mike Cernovich is making an announcement this Friday.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I would create an underground network of freedom fighters whose sole mission was to subvert and expose the federal government.

*Note to Federal Agents/NSA/CIA bots: I in no way endorse bringing a much needed culling of the federal beast, nor do I advocate violence such as razing the white house, capitol building, scotus building, irs building, and FED building to the ground allowing this once great nation a chance to survive.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Develop and offer participation in a voluntary economy. Buy in with aloha, gold, or horsepower/sweat equity.

Toot the horn about the value of the voluntary economy and the good relationships and peace it helps promote.

Prepare to die by the state's hand.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Buy media time and make it repetitive. Things like radio and billboards.

Oh and buy off people too.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.