Thread: Any good thing about lockdown?

A Guide To Choosing A Beginner Sewing Machine For Quilters

A Guide To Choosing A Beginner Sewing Machine For Quilters
    Picking the best beginner sewing machine for quilting is not exactly like choosing one for garment-making or doing general crafts. So to help you navigate through all the extra choices, I gather this list of the criteria you want your future sewing machine to have.
    When I first learned to sew, what I used was a 1970’s Kenmore machine. I found it in the attic and to my surprise, it still worked well after all these years no one touched it.

A vintage Kenmore
    It has cams that you could add to its peg so that you had a variety of different styles. I did not like making garments with it because the machine made it a lot harder to sew buttonholes. However, it was wonderful for quilting. This is why I am confident that you don’t really need an advanced sewing machine or the one with a wide range of stitch options to make beautiful projects.
    It came with a lot of feet that even until now, I have not yet found their uses. However, speaking of feet, what you really need for quilting is a walking foot.
    Then came my next sewing machine when the sweet old Kenmore gave up after so many years of working without a single slip.
    This one was the best affordable sewing machine for beginners at that time. I did not have much of a choice back then because my budget was tight back then. It was more of a machine for making clothes. Its throat was small and the feet it came with were for garments, not quilting.
    So now you know my quilting history. After that, I switched to many other sewing machines so I have gathered decent knowledge about what a quilter needs in a sewing machine.
    I am not going to give you a brand name directly because I know different quilters have different preferences and budgets.
    My Recommendations For Good Beginner Sewing Machines
    1 - Stitch options
    Check the sewing machine’s stitch options. The more there are, the more expensive the machine so you want to think carefully. Many experienced quilters never use more than a handful of stitch options on their machine so there is no need to purchase one that offers too many stitches. The most common stitch options are the zigzag, blanket, and straight stitches.
    2 - Needle positions
    The drop-in bobbin is the easiest to use. It does not need a bobbin case so there are fewer parts to worry about.
    You will want to choose the best cheap sewing machine for beginners with needle positions that can be changed. As you know, the golden ratio for seam allowance in quilting is ¼”. This type of machine will make it a lot less hassle to achieve that allowance.
    You have to pivot and turn quite a lot in quilting so you want a good sewing machine that allows you to lift or lower the needle easily. If you can lower the feed dog when quilting, it will make free-motion quilting a lot easier.
    3 - Auto-threading function
    When you piece and quilt, the project will look a lot neater if your first sewing machine can cut the thread automatically. The machines with auto threading functions will make your life a lot easier. You can thread a machine by hand if you don’t have one like this. However, I still prefer this option because I want to save time for other tasks. I used to have the best sewing machine for beginners making clothes and it can auto-thread.
    4 - Large throat & bed
    Pick the sewing machine with the largest throat width you can possibly purchase with the money you can pay.
    You will need a larger bed for quilting so pay attention to this too. A lightweight machine is good in many ways, but this also means that the actual bed size is not so much. The larger the bed, the easier it is for you to piece and quilt. Some manufacturers offer extended beds so you may consider purchasing them and fixing them to your machine.
    5 - Speed control
    Speed Control is another thing I love about a sewing machine for quilters. It allows you to slow down when you need to sew intricate patterns or speed up for borders.
    A free-arm is a feature that is handy if you need to sew tight spaces often.
    You will need a lot of thread for quilting so to save yourself some time, pick a good cheap sewing machine for beginners that can accommodate larger spools.
    6 - Sewing feet
    A quilter should have the following feet: a darning foot (or some people may call it a quilting foot), a walking foot (I will explain below), and a ¼ foot.

¼” foot
    Walking foot has a set of feed dogs on it so your quilts will be fed through the machine at an even pace. The majority of quilting projects have 3 layers so if you don’t use a walking foot, these layers may slide off course.
    A ¼ foot is what quilters use to keep the golden ratio for the seam allowance. Not all projects will call for a ¼ allowance but a lot of them do. So if you quilt a lot, think about buying one.
    Many sewing machines have most of or all of these feet accompanying the machine. If you can find one like that, it’s wonderful! But if you cannot, the manufacturers do offer them at a decent price. There are many basic sewing machine models that offer a wide array of feet nowadays. If you want to know what they are, this website Top Sewing Products CraftsSelection might point you in the right direction.
    Final Words
    To conclude this guide, I want to repeat something I said earlier. You don’t need an advanced model of sewing machine to start quilting. In fact, my all-time favorite is the 1923 Singer 221 Featherweight. It’s vintage, lightweight, and runs like a dream.
    For quilting only, I highly regard the vintage models. But I don’t say that you should bring home one. Sewing machines nowadays can do things that our previous generation could not dream of. So why don’t you take advantage of that and buy a modern one?
    Last edited by yanyan; 04-22-2022 at 07:06 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wouldn't know. Never stopped working. But, I do hate that the drive-thrus aren't 'fast food' anymore.<shrug>

Well I certainly do appreciate that the kids were able to get away from their government schools.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

No , not really .Any possible good is entirely erased by Governors killing the economy and forcefully shutting down private businesses . So , no.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I wouldn't know. Never stopped working. But, I do hate that the drive-thrus aren't 'fast food' anymore.<shrug>
    What are you talking about? I get in and out of fastfood places easy. Now, if you're stuck behind a minivan with a family of 5 and everyone keeps changing their minds, you'll be stuck a while.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I don't use bootlicking terms like lockdown, essential business, etc. If nothing else, that stupidity made me revisit Orwell's 1984.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I don't use bootlicking terms like lockdown, essential business, etc. If nothing else, that stupidity made me revisit Orwell's 1984.
    Every time I hear "essential worker" I remember the episode of The Twilight Zone that was now censored on youtube, entitled "The Obsolete Man" where a man is sentenced to death for his job being non-essential.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

The only thing that could be good about it is that families maybe getting closer. Not much has changed in my life except what I see in public but, I don't have a real strong public life any more. My son is working as much as ever but he has become more organized and efficient at his work so he works out of his home now. So his children actually do see more of him now. I am glad for that. He sells real estate so he goes out to meet with buyers and sellers everyday he does all his paper work at home. He is making more now than he ever has. He sells high end homes and commercial property now. He will hand off any property to another agent that is under a million dollars. He says it is easier to sell a million dollar property than it is to sell something worth under $100,000. I told him I heard the real estate market is being hit hard he said "mom what are you talking about"?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    What are you talking about? I get in and out of fastfood places easy. Now, if you're stuck behind a minivan with a family of 5 and everyone keeps changing their minds, you'll be stuck a while.
    Not around here depending on the time of day. A good 15 minute wait most places. From 4-5 cars to 20-30.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    The only thing that could be good about it is that families maybe getting closer. Not much has changed in my life except what I see in public but, I don't have a real strong public life any more. My son is working as much as ever but he has become more organized and efficient at his work so he works out of his home now. So his children actually do see more of him now. I am glad for that. He sells real estate so he goes out to meet with buyers and sellers everyday he does all his paper work at home. He is making more now than he ever has. He sells high end homes and commercial property now. He will hand off any property to another agent that is under a million dollars. He says it is easier to sell a million dollar property than it is to sell something worth under $100,000. I told him I heard the real estate market is being hit hard he said "mom what are you talking about"?
    In our area homes for $150k have a dozen offers within hours of being placed.