Thread: Sports Reporter Chokes in Big Debut, turns it into immigration issue

Sports Reporter Chokes in Big Debut, turns it into immigration issue

Summary: Sideline reporter chokes/freezes under the pressure on his Monday Night Football debut. He releases a video explaining that he was born in Mexico and is an immigrant. Now he is a hero.

Awkward 'Monday Night Football' debut makes ESPN's sideline reporter an online star

ESPN sideline reporter Sergio Dipp has become an unlikely star of "Monday Night Football" thanks to an awkward debut.

Play-by-play commentator Beth Mowins, who became the first woman to call an NFL regular-season game since 1987, went to Dipp for a report on new Denver Broncos coach Vance Joseph during the first quarter of the Chargers-Broncos "Monday Night Football" nightcap.

Dipp hesitated and finally gave some scant details about Joseph's background before emphatically saying the coach was having "the time of his life." It turned out to be Dipp's only report of the night, but it instantly made him a trending topic online.
    More: http://www.businessinsider.com/sergi...ebut-ap-2017-9
    Videos at link.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The real game was on before that one .

The 29-year-old Mexican-born Dipp has been with ESPN since 2013, but he has reported mostly for the Spanish-language ESPN Deportes.
    I'm not sure how explaining that he stumbled in his English because it is his second language and that he has done most of his work in Spanish is "turning it into an immigration issue." Anyone who speaks multiple languages can tell you this is fairly common, especially in high stress situations like your first big prime time gig.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    I'm not sure how explaining that he stumbled in his English because it is his second language and that he has done most of his work in Spanish is "turning it into an immigration issue." Anyone who speaks multiple languages can tell you this is fairly common, especially in high stress situations like your first big prime time gig.
    I'm curious, have you ever heard of the phrase "reading between the lines" ?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

That's not what he said. People can watch it for themselves and decide what he was trying to do. He talked about 9/11, about being born in Mexico, about being a minority. That's a lot more than "sorry, English is my second language".

https://www.twitter.com/SergioADippW...60822301270017
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

His diversity and his background is helping him a lot tonight.
    There's some irony.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

"wow. I totally choked. lol."

That's all ya gotta say.

Would have been a bit more endearing than the faux-poignancy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    This girl gets it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheBlueMa...70373348282368

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hinojos_7...62826889342978

Have you heard of the idea of reading your own biases into the text?

Have you heard of the idea of reading your own biases into the text?
    Ya whenever I read your posts there always seems to be a really strong anti-intellectual bias.

Especially considering I was right and he actually talked about immigration per Brian's post.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-12-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That's not what he said. People can watch it for themselves and decide what he was trying to do. He talked about 9/11, about being born in Mexico, about being a minority. That's a lot more than "sorry, English is my second language".

https://www.twitter.com/SergioADippW...60822301270017

It amounts to the same thing:

"What I wanted to do was show some respect, making my debut as a minority on American national TV, the biggest stage out there, on the most heartfelt day in this great country made up by immigrants and, on some people’s perspective, it all went wrong. But I truly meant no disrespect. Because all I wanted to do was to show some love to these two historical head coaches. Hopefully I’ll have another chance and be sure I’ll make the most out of it.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...912-story.html
    He bombed it on his first day in a stressful situation where the language he is speaking isn't his own because he is an immigrant.

You're trying to make something out of nothing.

Ya whenever I read your posts there always seems to be a really strong anti-intellectual bias.

Especially considering I was right and he actually talked about immigration per Bryan's post.
    The problem is with pseudo-intellectuals. That you think empty headed airbags like Molyneaux qualify as "intellectuals" is the problem.

And I never denied he mentioned being an immigrant. The assertion is that he turned his flub into "an immigration issue." He did not. This is a false assertion. You are reading your biases into what the guy said.

It amounts to the same thing:

He bombed it on his first day in a stressful situation where the language he is speaking isn't his own because he is an immigrant.

You're trying to make something out of nothing.
    You're trying to spin and misrepresent what actually happened. He definitively talks about being a minority and immigrant. He does not talk about language barriers. Who are you trying to fool? Look in the mirror spin-master.

The problem is with pseudo-intellectuals. That you think empty headed airbags like Molyneaux qualify as "intellectuals" is the problem.

And I never denied he mentioned being an immigrant. The assertion is that he turned his flub into "an immigration issue." He did not. This is a false assertion. You are reading your biases into what the guy said.
    Uh, ya he did..

You are a great advertisement for Molyneux.

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    "wow. I totally choked. lol."

That's all ya gotta say.

Would have been a bit more endearing than the faux-poignancy stuff.
    Yeah, that was all it was about.

I saw this happen live. Both his complexion and lack of accent made me think he was just a white American kid who won a contest or something to try to be a broadcaster for a day. And then he choked.

Today on ESPN, he's a hero, and it's not for choking.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kind of unamerican to have some dude trolling the sideline that is a soccer reporter .