Thread: To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.

To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.

I get the Words of Trump on his Telegram channel. Very convenient. https://t.me/trump

I will also assuage you fears about Telegram. You can follow Durov on his channel. Here is what he says

I hear Facebook has an entire department devoted to figuring out why Telegram is so popular. Imagine dozens of employees working on just that full-time.

I am happy to save Facebook tens of millions of dollars and give away our secret for free: respect your users.

Millions of people are outraged by the latest change in WhatsApp Terms, which now say users must feed all their private data to Facebook’s ad engine. It’s no surprise that the flight of users from WhatsApp to Telegram, already ongoing for a few years, has accelerated.

At about 500 million users and growing, Telegram has become a major problem for the Facebook corporation. Unable to compete with Telegram in quality and privacy, Facebook’s WhatsApp seems to have switched to covert marketing: Wikipedia editors have recently exposed multiple paid bots adding biased information into the WhatsApp Wikipedia article [1].

We have also detected bots which spread inaccurate information about Telegram on social media. Here are the 3 myths they are pushing:

Myth 1. “Telegram’s code is not open-source”. In reality, all Telegram client apps have been open source since 2013 [2]. Our encryption and API are fully documented and have been reviewed by security experts thousands of times. Moreover, Telegram is the only messaging app in the world that has verifiable builds both for iOS and Android [3]. As for WhatsApp, they intentionally obfuscate their code, making it impossible to verify their encryption and privacy.

Myth 2. “Telegram is Russian”. In fact, Telegram has no servers or offices in Russia and was blocked there from 2018 to 2020 [4]. Telegram is still blocked in some authoritarian countries such as Iran, while WhatsApp and other “supposedly secure” apps have never had any issue in these places.

Myth 3. “Telegram is not encrypted”. Every chat on Telegram has been encrypted since launch. We have Secret Chats that are end-to-end and Cloud Chats that also offer real-time secure and distributed cloud storage [5]. WhatsApp, on the other hand, had zero encryption for a few years, and then adopted an encryption protocol funded by the US Government [6]. Even if we assume that the WhatsApp encryption is solid, it’s invalidated via multiple backdoors and reliance on backups [7].

In 2019 alone, Facebook spent almost 10 billion dollars on marketing [8] (I guess this includes paid bots on Wikipedia and other sites).

Unlike Facebook, Telegram doesn't spend any money, let alone billions of dollars, on marketing. We believe that people are smart enough to choose what is best for them. And, judging by the half a billion people using Telegram, this belief is justified.
    Last edited by Mordan; 01-08-2021 at 12:59 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nobody is going to go to Biden's inauguration because it's going to be virtual. Can't invite people to it because he know's nobody will actually show up.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

What's up with the thread title? Is that supposed to be a quote from Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    What's up with the thread title? Is that supposed to be a quote from Trump?
    yes you would know if you followed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    yes you would know if you followed him.
    OK. But that's not the way thread titles work.

I too will not be going to the inauguration .