Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The dangerous nihilism of Trump voters

The dangerous nihilism of Trump voters

How can Trump voters be upset about systemic favoritism of the lazy and upset that immigrants are taking all the jobs? The same way they simultaneously express anger and distrust toward the federal government and believe Trump can order that feckless leviathan to wall off Mexico, stick it to China, wipe out the Islamic State and keep the Social Security checks flowing.

Like many Democrats who are feeling the Bern, Trump voters believe, with an instinctual passivity bred of being endlessly pandered to by politicians, that the political system is “rigged” — and it’s about time somebody re-rigged it, in their favor...

We can, and should, understand those feelings. We’re not obliged to appeal to them, though, or honor them — at least those of us who aren’t desperately backpedaling GOP politicians.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...f12_story.html
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Trump: The Nihilist We Deserve

So what does Trump tell us about ourselves, then?

By being loud and obnoxious and by having no allegiance to anything resembling the truth, Trump is the perfect personification of politics today.

It’s trite to blame the amorphous “media” for everything, but sometimes there are legitimate concerns that need to be addressed. The political press has responded to their own economic problems by advancing divisive and destructive discourse at the expense of almost everything else. This isn’t unique to any side or agenda, either. And it’s more than simple partisanship; every political outlet in the history of mankind has been partisan. No, it’s worse than partisanship—it’s for-profit nihilism...

There are animals that can survive in the sulfuric discharge of undersea volcanoes. It’s not the animals’ fault they can survive there and that they thrive in that environment—it’s evolution. Politics today is that sulfuric cloud and Trump is the apex invertebrate. The two sides not only understand each other, they need each other.

When you’ve turned politics into reality TV, you get reality TV personalities running for office. When you demand sound bites that only exist to drives clicks, you get politicians who speak only in sound bites that drive clicks. When you substitute brand management over being a real human being, you get the ascent of brands over human beings.

Trump is a brand, a logo, a simulacrum devoid of nuance and depth. Trump is a swindler offering empty anecdotes and meaningless solutions to nonexistent problems...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-e...b_7806520.html

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

And what of the dangerous nihilism of Clinton voters? What of the nihilism that convinces them that, in spite of the overwhelming evidence in her voting record, in her actions as Secretary of State, in her half-assed denial of the criminal charges levied against her, they can not only tell that she is less evil than the competition, but enough less evil to be fit for the job? Is that nihilism not dangerous?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    And what of the dangerous nihilism of Clinton voters?
    The danger is not mutually-exclusive.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

What about the danger of nihilism in general?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    The danger is not mutually-exclusive.
    Far from it. The Powers That Be are, in fact, trying to trap all reasonable people between these masses of hysteria in a classic pincers movement.

But evading being trapped in a pincers movement is as simple as saying, neither of these masses of hysteria is leading to a good end, and walking out from between them.

Far from it. The Powers That Be are, in fact, trying to trap all reasonable people between these masses of hysteria in a classic pincers movement.

But evading being trapped in a pincers movement is as simple as saying, neither of these masses of hysteria is leading to a good end, and walking out from between them.
    Perhaps you'd prefer this article http://www.thenation.com/article/ado...oral-nihilism/
    But here’s the thing: arguments for ignoring electoral realities, for backing some quixotic third-party candidate or imagining that leftists can sway the system through ultimatums, are based on precisely this fantasy. Movements lead politicians, not the other way around, and simply deciding that the politicians we have aren’t good enough won’t will a movement into being. A left that absented itself from the dirty work of electing a president would be indulging in the very reflex Reed decries: trying to send a message to those in power rather than contending for power itself...

So yes, for liberals, there is only one option in an election year, and that is to elect, at whatever cost, whichever Democrat is running. The rest of the time, those who find the current choices intolerable should join in the long, slow groundwork that would allow for better ones.

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Oh, yeah. That's as beautiful a piece of 'give up, you can't win!' as ever I have seen.

Pity that even those who aren't nihilists are liable to buy that b.s. without proof, too.

thenation.com has obviously taken to heart what Henry Ford said--and obviously will never, ever admit it:

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-05-2016 at 01:26 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    The people running our federal government are always dangerous. I think we have some people right now that are very worried that the focus of our federal government may change.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Poor neocon Jennifer Rubin seems to be crapping her pants.

http://www.infowars.com/ron-paul-secretary-of-state/

Last edited by Cleaner44; 05-05-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

This, this, a thousand times this. Waiting for some glacial transformation is a fools errand.
    "The Patriarch"

Oh, yeah. That's as beautiful a piece of 'give up, you can't win!' as ever I have seen.

Pity that even those who aren't nihilists are liable to buy that b.s. without proof, too.
    Amusing in that both msm parties seem to be having the same debates within their ranks. Am waiting so see how LP fairs now that they have a possible opportunity. Now why, pray tell, is msm not chatting up ballot access or any nitty gritty details when they are fanning the flames of voter anger? Hmm...

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Ah, the Washington Neocon Post. There is no doubt that the best part of this whole circus of an election cycle is the absolute fits that the neoconservatives are having.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post

LOL. Hadn't seen that one.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    LOL, perfect.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post

Never happen in a million years. Ron won't kiss the ring, and Trump won't have anyone near him who doesn't kiss the ring.

WTF with all these alt media outlets pandering to Ron Paul people?
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    WTF with all these alt media outlets pandering to Ron Paul people?
    "Now that we've completely offended every principle you have ever held, we want you to help us win."

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    "Now that we've completely offended every principle you have ever held, we want you to help us win."
    Ain't that grand?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Was thinking this exact same thing this morning as I attempted to sift through the...articles this morning. (And chuckling with a hearty few curse words thrown their way) GL /sarc with their efforts. Ain't gonna happen in this household.

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

The only problem with that reasoning is that the same thing could be said about those who voted for Ron and Rand. Basically, anyone who voted for a Presidential candidate.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    The only problem with that reasoning is that the same thing could be said about those who voted for Ron and Rand. Basically, anyone who voted for a Presidential candidate.
    As a Ron Paul voter, I never wanted the system rigged in my favor. I wanted the village out of my household. I want freedom, not authoritarian control that merely favors my position for as long as "my" authoritarian can maintain control. So, no, all voters do not use their ballot to achieve the same result.

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

The establishment doesn't like Trump because he isn't their little controlled puppet. Doesn't mean he will be any better, but he will stick it in the face of the elites to put himself over at their expense.

I don't think liberty supporters should be humoring the tantrums of these losers and crybabies in the mainstream media and rest of the political class.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    The establishment doesn't like Trump because he isn't their little controlled puppet. Doesn't mean he will be any better, but he will stick it in the face of the elites to put himself over at their expense.

I don't think liberty supporters should be humoring the tantrums of these losers and crybabies in the mainstream media and rest of the political class.
    Hmm, as Trump reaches for that Rolodex to start looking for deep pockets to finance this next act to whom do you believe he will be loyal to? Who was it that attended the victory speech at Mar-a-Lago again?

Go Forward With Courage

-- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

The establishment doesn't like Trump...
    Do you have any proof of that at all except what you hear in the mainstream media propaganda machine?

Because we happen to know that those the Establishment don't actually like they ignore. They do not give those people a trillion dollars' worth of free publicity. And we also happen to know they're happy to pretend not to like one of their own, if it suits their purpose.

This is perhaps the most bizarre aspect of that nihilism. They don't know anything except what they read in the newspapers, and as Will Rogers pointed out, that is nothing but an alibi for ignorance. Yet they get so arrogant with people who don't open their mouths and swallow what we're all being spoon fed. Failing to swallow everything that proven liars say is not a sign of dimness, people.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-06-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Do you have any proof of that at all except what you hear in the mainstream media propaganda machine?

Because we happen to know that those the Establishment don't actually like they ignore. They do not give those people a trillion dollars' worth of free publicity. And we also happen to know they're happy to pretend not to like one of their own, if it suits their purpose.

This is perhaps the most bizarre aspect of that nihilism. They don't know anything except what they read in the newspapers, and as Will Rogers pointed out, that is nothing but an alibi for ignorance. Yet they get so arrogant with people who don't open their mouths and swallow what we're all being spoon fed. Failing to swallow everything that proven liars say is not a sign of dimness, people.
    Perhaps your Trump derangement syndrome has made you blind, deaf and dumb, but the neocons are openly forming a third party to officially coronate Hillary.

The GOP establishment is in full-blown sky-is-falling panic mode.

But yeah, I'm sure it's all a big conspiracy cuz you say so, dude.

Perhaps your Trump derangement syndrome has made you blind, deaf and dumb, but the neocons are openly forming a third party to officially coronate Hillary.

I thought that is what Trump derangement syndrome did. Make Trumps supporters blind, deaf and dumb to any semblance of reason?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I thought that is what Trump derangement syndrome did. Make Trumps supporters blind, deaf and dumb to any semblance of reason?
    I already explained it to you in the other thread. Check it out, and then you won't make any more confused posts in the future.

They are openly forming a third party to coronate a Democrat.

And you claim this should make sense to someone with a brain.

Well, I guess it's just further proof that P.T. Barnum really knew what he was talking about.

I already explained it to you in the other thread. Check it out, and then you won't make any more confused posts in the future.
    You know, it would have been just as quick to quote that post in this thread, so a body could have a clue which of the tens of thousands of threads on this site you're talking about.

Assuming, you know, that one wants others to have a clue what one is talking about...
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast