Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This year I will be donating to the Ron Paul Institute.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    When it comes to substantively advancing the cause of liberty, I'll take the chops of Ron Paul, Daniel McAdams, et al. over those of "Teh Collinz" any day.
    Again, you fail to understand the difference between advocating for a change in policy, and actually changing policy.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Again, you fail to understand the difference between advocating for a change in policy, and actually changing policy.
    It's true that there is a notable difference, Matt, but we're effectively back to square one, my friend. Unless we start getting people into local office immediately, we're back to education. That's realistically where we are. It is necessary, first and foremost, to recognize that. We can't keep falling back on Ron. The man's done his time and it's wonderful that he continues but we need to pick it up on our end.

Policy cannot, does not and will not ever define Liberty. Principles do. Fundamental principles based on a specific foundation for moral code. They must be accepted as an Indivisible whole in order to have any legitimate right of claim to its benefits. Policy won't accomplish that. Education is the only way.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-24-2016 at 09:44 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Uh-huh. Sure. Okay.

Don't mind me ...

I'll just be over here eating mud pies with Ron Paul & Co. while you're busy conjuring up all those ex nihilo policy changes for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    It's true that there is a notable difference, Matt, but we're effectively back to square one, my friend.
    On the federal level, maybe, but honestly the federal level is not reformable. Yes if we get a few more Thomases and Rands in there then we can stop more stuff, but as far as getting stuff passed, it's highly unlikely.

Unless we start getting people into local office immediately, we're back to education. That's realistically where we are. It is necessary, first and foremost, to recognize that. We can't keep falling back on Ron. The man's done his time and it's wonderful that he continues but we need to pick it up on our end.
    I agree. Winning local office is often (relatively) easy. Go here and here to get an education on how to do it, and all of the sudden you and other liberty people can take over your town council, county commission, school board, etc.

A couple of liberty friends of mine stopped their local city council from giving themselves raises through proper activism. It works when it is applied.

Policy cannot, does not and will not ever define Liberty. Principles do. Fundamental principles based on a specific foundation for moral code. They must be accepted as an Indivisible whole in order to have any legitimate right of claim to its benefits. Policy won't accomplish that. Education is the only way.
    Except that principles don't define law, policy does. And policy is defined by politics. So if you want to change the government, you have to get involved in the political process which means dealing in electoral and legislative season.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I donated a small amount to the Institute a few weeks ago and will happily donate a larger amount when I can. I'm always happy to donate to anything Dr. Paul is doing. It helps us all as there's no better champion of liberty. I rely on the Liberty Report for real news. MSM focuses on non-stories, even most "independent media" is partisan mud-slinging as well, but none of that on anything Dr. Paul would put his name on.
    Last edited by MattRay; 09-07-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Uh no actually, I had as much employment as I wanted.

But think tanks are like giant circle jerks, yeah it is fun and can put out some good material, but it doesn't accomplish anything, especially on the federal level.

The RPI has zero influence over anyone in DC, Amash and Massie might be the only exceptions, and even then Justin has a couple of odd votes as I recall.

Looking to educate and gain influence is the quick way to become irrelevant. Functional politics is what actually changes policy, and that is very hard to do on the federal level.
    This is extremely silly. Dr. Paul's has done more for liberty with his campaigns, books, reports, articles etc. than any election ever could. It's why Romney's campaign was irrelevant the day after the election yet Dr. Paul's energized a major movement that will continue attracting new people. We're extremely lucky Dr. Paul continues his excellent work because there's really nobody comparable.

Functional politics can't accomplish anything significant unless the people are educated. Until they are, they'll continue to be seduced by outrageous falsehoods such as that government can pay for college, Iran is threatening our way of life, you have a "right" to other people's services such as healthcare and a "right" to other people's money to pay for it, terrorism can be defeated military etc. I shudder to think where we'd be without Dr. Paul fighting these horrifying ideas. Thanks to him, we can at least put up a fight against big government.

Dr. Paul's campaigns were among the few that meant anything because his primary concern was educating people by promoting principles and a philosophy. That's incredibly rare and I feel privileged to have witnessed it and to continue to benefit from his excellent work. He's fighting a tough battle, but he's fighting one that's actually worth fighting. Some weak welfare "reform" such as the 90's, a so-called balanced budget in a bubble meant nothing and quickly evaporated....after electing someone who essentially ran as a supposed "conservative." If we had more great men who ran on principles and ideas, we'd be in a lot better shape.

The reason Dr. Paul is still relevant is because he's educated so many. I have to express truly genuine gratitude for him introducing me to Mises and Rothbard as well as a sane foreign policy. Dr. Paul knows you can't change Washington from inside. Hell, outside of the bubble, the second biggest reason we nearly had a balanced budget in the late 90's was probably Ross Perot making it such a big issue, and he lost his election.

By the way, outstanding work, Daniel! I always enjoy listening to your discussions with Dr. Paul. You're really providing a valuable service and it's much appreciated!
    Last edited by MattRay; 09-07-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRay View Post
    This is extremely silly. Dr. Paul's has done more for liberty with his campaigns, books, reports, articles etc. than any election ever could.
    Educating doesn't accomplish anything unless it is tied to action.

Education is not what made his Audit the Fed bill pass the House, putting pressure on the Congressmen is what got it to pass.

Functional politics can't accomplish anything significant unless the people are educated.
    Absolutely incorrect. Any revolution is made up of very few people historically. And getting legislation passed (or killed) only takes a few people doing the right things at the right time.

For example, I passed Constitutional Carry in West Virginia recently and I can guarantee you that the general population wasn't for it, in fact most gun owners probably weren't for it either. It's all about political pressure and leverage. The progressives have been using the same playbook for decades. Most people AREN'T progressive, but yet they have been able to get their policies in place because they understand how to operate on the political level.

Until they are, they'll continue to be seduced by outrageous falsehoods such as that government can pay for college, Iran is threatening our way of life, you have a "right" to other people's services such as healthcare and a "right" to other people's money to pay for it, terrorism can be defeated military etc. I shudder to think where we'd be without Dr. Paul fighting these horrifying ideas. Thanks to him, we can at least put up a fight against big government.
    Again not true, but what I will agree to is that fighting on the federal level these days is largely an effort on futility. The real fight is on the state level; which is where most people can actually have an effect.

Dr. Paul's campaigns were among the few that meant anything because his primary concern was educating people by promoting principles and a philosophy.
    Again, unless it is followed up by political action, it doesn't matter. And education is NOT a required component of political action, and in fact a lot of times it is a distraction and hindrance.

Don't get me wrong, I love reading and watching speeches, and participating in the liberty cj, but it really isn't anything more than entertainment unless it is coupled with functional politics.

Education is not what made his Audit the Fed bill pass the House, putting pressure on the Congressmen is what got it to pass.

Absolutely incorrect. Any revolution is made up of very few people historically. And getting legislation passed (or killed) only takes a few people doing the right things at the right time.

For example, I passed Constitutional Carry in West Virginia recently and I can guarantee you that the general population wasn't for it, in fact most gun owners probably weren't for it either. It's all about political pressure and leverage. The progressives have been using the same playbook for decades. Most people AREN'T progressive, but yet they have been able to get their policies in place because they understand how to operate on the political level.

Again not true, but what I will agree to is that fighting on the federal level these days is largely an effort on futility. The real fight is on the state level; which is where most people can actually have an effect.

Again, unless it is followed up by political action, it doesn't matter. And education is NOT a required component of political action, and in fact a lot of times it is a distraction and hindrance.

Don't get me wrong, I love reading and watching speeches, and participating in the liberty cj, but it really isn't anything more than entertainment unless it is coupled with functional politics.
    While true that it only takes about 3% to start a revolution, real education is paramount.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.
    -Thomas Jefferson-
    There is no spoon.

Local politics are different, but even then, education is essential because right now, the Federal Government illegally prevents states from doing as much as they can. It will require educating the people about states rights and the constitution as well as why it's in their interest. Until then, there's a pretty disappointing ceiling as far as what you can accomplish in state politics.

As far his progressives, you can't discount the enormous influence that Hollywood as well as the media have had. Plus, progressives have pushed through their agenda by behaving like dictators. Most notably FDR and Woodrow Wilson, but also LBJ. Opportunism has also played a major role such as FDR during the depression and WWII and LBJ after Kennedy's assassination. Someone like Dr. Paul is at a natural disadvantage because he won't violate the constitution to pass his agenda, especially since part of his agenda is restoring the constitution. Basically, they don't play by the same rules as we do.

I'm not discounting political action either. Dr. Paul engaged in extremely productive political action campaigning in 2008 and 2012 in addition to his work in Congress. Running in elections itself is political action, but the excitement surrounding Dr. Paul's campaigns was undoubtedly a major factor in the increasing support for end the fed.

Without education, even if we did make some advances, it would only last until the next opportunist came along. The same thing that happened post-1847 would happen all over again. The people must be aware of the constitution and must care about liberty. They must know the truth about government promises. Unless they do, the next congress will just build the government back up.

Remember what Benjamin Franklin told the woman: "[We gave you] a Republic....if you can keep it."

And he was absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    While true that it only takes about 3% to start a revolution, real education is paramount.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.
    -Thomas Jefferson-
    Unfortunately, I don't appear to be eligible to give any rep, so consider this the same gesture. The premise that education is somehow secondary or even irrelevant undermines our entire system and nation.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unfortunately, I don't appear to be eligible to give any rep, so consider this the same gesture. The premise that education is somehow secondary or even irrelevant undermines our entire system and nation.
    Yep- the public system was invented to make compliant factory workers and had nothing to do with real education.

And thanks!
    There is no spoon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12