Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom. You can't out tariff us. Period. This Trump knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Oh no! It fell one quarter of one percent!
    Little drops of water and little grains of sand make the mighty ocean and the mighty land.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Two surveys of Chinese manufacturing show demand is weak amid a mounting tariff war with Washington over trade and technology.A monthly purchasing managers' index released by a business magazine, Caixin, rose to 50.4 from July's 49.9 on a 100-point scale on which numbers above 50 show activity increasing.
    That indicates "renewed improvement" but said a gauge of new orders fell to its lowest level this year, the magazine said.
    A separate survey released Saturday by an industry group, the China Federation of Logistics & Purchasing, showed activity declining to 49.5 from July's 49.7. It said market demand was "relatively weak."
    Chinese exporters are struggling in the face of U.S. tariff hikes. Exports to the United States, their biggest market, fell 6.5% in July.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/surveys-show-...050356675.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Ministry of Industry and Trade is drafting a policy that will define a product as "made in Vietnam" if it has a domestic manufacturing added value of 30 percent of its price. Vietnam has not had a clear standard on what locally made goods is, the ministry said last month.
    The new policy will stop local manufacturers setting their own standards on using the "made in Vietnam" label for their products. Products made with imported material with slight changes will not qualify to claim Vietnamese origin.
    Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc has already signed a decision to prevent the circumvention of trade defense measures, and local government bodies are implementing this order.
    A representative of the Vietnam Directorate of Market Surveillance said Friday that the agency is focusing on reviewing companies that have posted a sudden rise in imports from China.

More at: https://ampe.vnexpress.net/news/busi...e-3965243.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The U.S. Commerce Department said on Wednesday it imposed duties on Chinese and Mexican structural steel after making a preliminary determination that producers in both countries had dumped fabricated structural steel on the U.S. market at prices below fair market value.The department said it imposed duties of up to 141% on Chinese structural steel and up to 31% on Mexican structural steel and will begin collecting cash deposits for imports based on those rates.
    Commerce said it had found that imports of Canadian fabricated structural steel did not violate U.S. anti-dumping laws.
    Most Chinese steel products have largely been excluded from the U.S. market by prior Commerce Department anti-dumping duties and President Donald Trump's 25% punitive tariffs. The latest order seeks to prevent Chinese downstream structural steel assemblies from skirting those duties and entering the United States.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/u-imposes-dut...051355862.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The Vietnamese government has vowed to increase its imports from the United States, including coal, natural gas and agricultural products, the Financial Times reported Sept. 6.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ase-us-imports

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    The Vietnamese government has vowed to increase its imports from the United States, including coal, natural gas and agricultural products, the Financial Times reported Sept. 6.

More at: https://worldview.stratfor.com/situa...ase-us-imports
    From the link:

Why It Matters: The decision to increase imports from the United States is likely an attempt by the Vietnamese government to avoid more severe U.S. tariff threats as Washington is looking to reduce its trade deficit with Vietnam.

Background: Vietnam's trade surplus has been growing exponentially in recent years and is expected to increase further because companies are relocating there to avoid the fallout from the U.S.-China trade war.
    The TPP which Trump walked away from would have reduced the US trade deficit with Vietnam.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-06-2019 at 06:41 PM.

From the link:
    And?

That's part of winning.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And?

That's part of winning.
    Yay! Winning! I thought winning was getting rid of trade deficits?

Vietnam's trade surplus has been growing exponentially in recent years and is expected to increase further because companies are relocating there to avoid the fallout from the U.S.-China trade war.

The U.S. Commerce Department said on Wednesday it imposed duties on Chinese and Mexican structural steel after making a preliminary determination that producers in both countries had dumped fabricated structural steel on the U.S. market at prices below fair market value.The department said it imposed duties of up to 141% on Chinese structural steel and up to 31% on Mexican structural steel and will begin collecting cash deposits for imports based on those rates.
    Commerce said it had found that imports of Canadian fabricated structural steel did not violate U.S. anti-dumping laws.
    Most Chinese steel products have largely been excluded from the U.S. market by prior Commerce Department anti-dumping duties and President Donald Trump's 25% punitive tariffs. The latest order seeks to prevent Chinese downstream structural steel assemblies from skirting those duties and entering the United States.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/u-imposes-dut...051355862.html
    U.S. Steel and NuCor will probably fire up their furnaces they cooled on this news. Think there was only five though Zip tried to make it sound they were shuttering entire plants.

Winning is:

#1 stopping China from destroying us and taking over the world
    #2 repairing our economy and reducing trade deficits

In case you missed it, this does both, Vietnam is going to buy more of our stuff to reduce the trade deficit.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    U.S. Steel and NuCor will probably fire up their furnaces they cooled on this news. Think there was only five though Zip tried to make it sound they were shuttering entire plants.
    More winning.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Winning is:

#1 stopping China from destroying us and taking over the world
    #2 repairing our economy and reducing trade deficits

In case you missed it, this does both, Vietnam is going to buy more of our stuff to reduce the trade deficit.
    How much stuff? Article is very short on details.

The TPP which Trump walked away from would have reduced the US trade deficit with Vietnam.
    It also would have surrendered our sovereignty.
    That's just stupid, we are winning easily.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How much stuff? Article is very short on details.
    More than China, if you want details go find them.
    It says it is quoting FT.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It also would have surrendered our sovereignty.

That's just stupid, we are winning easily.
    Actually it would have given the US more control. Read it sometime instead of just posting the keyword phrases.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gotta choose your enemies. Vietnam is no where near the threat of China. You should be happy we're trading with a global partner. One that is not in the game to crush us financially and militarily. Vietnam is not subsidizing it's industries, like steel and stolen solar panel technology, to dump on the U.S. market destroying American industry. You really do not get what is happening, do you?

Actually it would have given the US more control. Read it sometime instead of just posting the keyword phrases.
    It would have given globalists more control.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

The U.S. Commerce Department said on Tuesday that it found that imports of ceramic tile from China are unfairly subsidized and it imposed preliminary duties on them ranging from about 104% to 222%.The decision affects tile imports worth about $483.1 million in 2018, the Commerce Department said in a statement.
    The agency opened its anti-subsidy and anti-dumping investigation of Chinese tile imports in May after receiving a petition from a coalition of eight U.S. tile producers claiming injury.

Glazed ceramic floor and wall tiles from China, which are popular items at major U.S. home supply chains, including Home Depot, Lowe's and Floor & Decor, are also currently subject to a 25% tariff as part of the U.S. Trade Representative's "Section 301" penalties on China. This rate is scheduled to increase to 30% on Oct. 1.
    Commerce said it would impose a preliminary anti-subsidy duty of 222.24% on tile from Temgoo International Trading Ltd and 103.77% on all other Chinese ceramic tile exporters and producers.
    A final determination in the investigation is expected around Jan. 21, 2020. The U.S. International Trade Commission is working on a separate probe to determine whether U.S. producers suffered injury from the Chinese imports.

More at: https://news.yahoo.com/1-u-sets-prel...155642401.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

J.P. Morgan estimates that President Trump’s tariffs will cost American families up to $1,000 next year. We have heard this before and we’ll hear it again. But the fact is that tariffs have not yet—nor will they likely—increase the cost of living.
    Further, the myopic obsession with the price of goods ignores the more pressing problem: millions of Americans remain chronically unemployed, and millions more have been reduced to surviving on part-time McJobs and welfare. Turns out, cheap goods aren’t so cheap if you don’t have a job.
    Crying Wolf

Every time President Trump threatens to impose more tariffs on China liberals lose their marbles. Tariffs will make Americans poor! Tariffs will turn America into a fascist dictatorship! Tariffs will—dare I say it—ruin Christmas!

Time and again, reality proves the doomsayers wrong. Tariffs have not increased the cost of living in America. This is obvious to anyone who paid attention back in 2018, when Trump imposed effective tariff rates of 40 percent on imported washing machines. What happened?
    Nothing.

I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s worth repeating. According to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) the cost of laundry equipment increased by 6.8 percent in 2018. The inflation rate was 2.44 percent. In 2019, the cost of laundry equipment decreased by 0.48 percent, compared to an expected inflation rate of 2 percent. Yes, washing machines prices rose slightly faster than inflation—but nowhere near 40 percent.

In any event, we don’t even know if tariffs caused the increase. Prices in 2012 rose by 8.56 percent. And guess what? There were no tariffs to blame. The 2018 price change may just be a random walk. Children find faces in clouds: economists find meaning in randomness.
    The reason tariffs barely affect consumer prices is that they aren’t levied on retail prices. They are levied on the first sale price—the price paid to foreign vendors by American companies or their agents. As such, tariffs are applied on a very small base rate, which harms foreign producers without really affecting American consumers.
    And of course, tariffs can be completely avoided by simply buying American-made products.

I will not go into too much detail on this point as I have written about it ad nauseam. Suffice it to say that the Washington Post does not appear to have the faintest understanding of how tariffs actually work—they really do seem to think tariffs are just sales taxes.
    Lastly, global free trade is underpinned by the theory of comparative advantage. The problem for free traders—of which they are blissfully unaware—is that comparative advantage is domain-specific, meaning that it only applies when certain preconditions are satisfied.
    One of these preconditions is that capital is immobile, i.e. industries cannot simply pick up and move from country to country. Obviously, capital is mobile—American factories move to China all the time. As such, comparative advantage does not apply and free trade lacks any sort of theoretical justification.
    The only reason the Washington Post or Conservatism, Inc. support free trade is because they are ignorant, or on the payroll of the international banks who are profiteering America’s dispossession.
    Upstairs, Downstairs

The free-trade brigade focuses exclusively on the effect of tariffs on consumption. In doing so, they miss the forest for the trees.
    In reality, every consumer is also a producer, and therefore what harms producers—for example, moving millions of jobs to China—necessarily harms consumers down the road. In fact, production always precedes consumption for the simple fact that you cannot consume what you have not produced. You cannot spend what you do not earn.
    You cannot reap what you do not sow.
    The truth of this logic is readily apparent when you look at the actual data. Take, for example, NAFTA. In 1993, President Bill Clinton promised that the North American Free Trade Agreement would create “a million [American] jobs in the first five years.” How?
    NAFTA would eliminate America’s tariff wall with Mexico so that both nations could trade freely. This would allow them to maximize their respective comparative advantages and produce more material wealth. Win-win. Right?
    Wrong.
    Multinational corporations relocated their factories en masse to Mexico—the prospect of saving billions by hiring low-cost Mexican labor was just too good to pass up. Conversely, very few industries moved from Mexico to America. In total, a net 840,000 American manufacturing jobs have been displaced by NAFTA and the resultant trade deficit.
    On top of this, America lost all of the service jobs that depended upon those factories. This is because manufacturing is an anchor industry: factories, like mines or oilfields, generate new exportable wealth and in doing so support predicate industries.
    Predicates, like restaurants or banks, are important because they diversify the economy and make it more efficient, however, they are not self-sustaining. This is why hairdressers and lawyers move to mining towns, but not vice versa.
    The Bureau of Economic Analysis estimates that each dollar of manufacturing output supports roughly $1.48 in spinoff service output—this is called a multiplier effect. When the lost predicate jobs are accounted for it becomes clear that NAFTA cost America a net 2.1 million jobs.
    The problem of offshoring is not unique to NAFTA. Market asymmetries have caused many millions of American jobs to move abroad. China is the biggest culprit and is responsible for the bulk of the 8 million American manufacturing jobs which have been lost—never mind the millions of predicate jobs.
    We often forget about the other sectors which are vulnerable to offshoring, however. For example, over 1 million people in the Philippines work in call centers—most of whom service American clients. Likewise, hundreds of thousands of coding jobs have been offshored to India.
    The list goes on and on.
    To make matters worse, these millions of jobless Americans saturated the labor market. Some found new jobs, although they didn’t pay as well as the lost jobs. A study from Princeton University found that the average wage cut for displaced manufacturing workers was 17.5 percent—waiting tables does not pay as much as building cars!
    Without tariffs to level the playing field between America and the Third World, multinational corporations will continue to move their factories, call centers, and laboratories abroad. At this point, very few industries are safe from the ravages of globalization.
    America will hemorrhage jobs. Small towns will decay. And the middle class will die.
    Tartini’s Trill

Some claim that offshoring has actually improved America’s economy because it has actually bolstered consumption—the benefit of cheap goods outweighs the harms caused by job loss.
    The argument is devious but wrong. The only reason that America has been able to offshore production without simultaneously decreasing its consumption is that we have thus far been able to buoy our consumption by raffling off our assets and debt to Third World buyers.
    For example, American sells $150 billion in real estate to foreigners every single year. Likewise, foreigners have bought up roughly 38 percent of all American corporate shares and 44 percent of our national public debt. In exchange, we got Halloween masks and saved a few bucks on our iPhones. We sold our souls for foreign luxuries.
    Of course, this paradigm is not sustainable—soon we will run out of assets and debt to sell. When that happens, the bubble will burst and we will wish we had not spent our economic summer idly consuming while the Chinese worked hard, storing fat for the winter. Then, we will sing for our supper.
    After all, the Devil always claims his prize.

https://amgreatness.com/2019/09/11/a...inese-imports/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

[/CENTER]
    I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s worth repeating. According to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) the cost of laundry equipment increased by 6.8 percent in 2018. The inflation rate was 2.44 percent. In 2019, the cost of laundry equipment decreased by 0.48 percent, compared to an expected inflation rate of 2 percent. Yes, washing machines prices rose slightly faster than inflation—but nowhere near 40 percent.
    2015, Kenmore 26132, $650
    2019, Kenmore 26132, $513

Turiffs breakin' muh bank!

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

President Trump’s tweet that he was delaying by two weeks an increase of tariffs on some $250 billion of Chinese imports is right out of the Harvard Law School’s Program on Negotiation (PON). Tweeted the President: “At the request of Vice Premier of China, Liu He, and due to the fact that the People’s Republic of China will be celebrating their 70th Anniversary on October 1st, we have agreed, as gesture of good will, to move the increased Tariffs on 250 Billion Dollars worth of goods (25% to 30%), from October 1st to October 15th.”
    This is laughable on its face but indicative of the sort of hard-bargaining both sides are engaging in. It’s laughable because only the communists in China are celebrating that 70th anniversary of their oppression of the Chinese people. It’s a communist dictatorship, after all, and any celebration will be carefully planned, managed, staged, and performed for a world press enamored by (and deceived by) claims that China has raised itself (all by itself) from third-world status to first-world challenger to the United States.

The PON rule? “Extreme demands followed up by small, slow concessions.” This strategy, according to Harvard Law, “protects dealmakers from making concessions too quickly.”
    It’s not the only rule Trump is following. There’s the “delaying and stalling” technique, the “precondition” technique and the “withdrawn offer” technique, among others.
    Consider: Delaying implementation of the increase gives negotiators on both sides time to come to terms before the new deadline. It provides additional incentive for the Chinese to hold serious conversations. It’s interesting to note that the Chinese negotiators are coming to Washington for those preliminary conversations, another tactic of making a minor concession in order to advance a major conversation.
    China knows the rules. On Wednesday the communists published a short list of American products that would be exempt from its own tariffs (including shrimp, lubricants, alfalfa meal, and some other minor items) in response to Trump’s concession. Those tariffs were imposed by the communists last July as part of the “tit-for-tat” game being played out in the tariff war.
    In addition the communists on Wednesday said they would be announcing more exemptions in coming weeks, provided that the United States continued negotiating in good faith.
    On Thursday the Chinese communists let it be known, through its Ministry of Commerce, that “some Chinese companies were beginning to make inquiries about resuming purchases of American agricultural products.” This is aimed squarely at Trump’s need to reduce tariff pressure on American farmers before the upcoming election.
    The Chinese have touted various changes they claim to have made to certain laws governing foreign investment and intellectual property without being specific.
    It’s all part of a high-level game of poker, following standard negotiating tactics. But the ultimate strategy is not only “advertising what you have” but “having what you advertise.” In Trump’s case, he is holding the high cards: a stronger, larger, and more rapidly growing economy that is much less dependent upon exports than his opponents across the table.
    There’s another factor to consider as well, as revealed by the Chinese communists’ response to the Hong Kong uprisings. They moved mightily to tamp down those protests knowing that they might just give encouragement to others in the homeland to challenge their communist dictatorship. The most current information available is that the communists ruling China face more than 200,000 such protests every year. That is a present reminder of just how tenuous their hold is over the peasantry.
    Trump knows all of this. That’s why he greeted the news of the exemptions as a sign that China would soon compromise, saying that the trade war “was only going to get worse” if they didn’t come to the table, and considered the announcement as a sign that “they want to make a deal.” Said Trump: “They took tariffs off, certain types. I think it was a gesture. It was a big move. People were shocked. I wasn’t shocked.”

https://www.thenewamerican.com/world...ing-strategies

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Where do you see that model for $513?

$704
    https://www.sears.com/kenmore-4.8-cu...en-pdp-buy-cta

$629
    http://www.searshometownstores.com/p...STAR-Certified

$612
    https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/k...rtified/141774

Just FYI but Kenmore isn't a good example any way since it's a brand in limbo. Sears is trying to divest the brand and so far unsuccessfully. Got any other, more relevant examples that aren't a dying brand attached to a company in bankruptcy reorganization?
    Last edited by devil21; 09-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Where do you see that model for $513?

$704
    https://www.sears.com/kenmore-4.8-cu...en-pdp-buy-cta

$629
    http://www.searshometownstores.com/p...STAR-Certified

$612
    https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/k...rtified/141774

Just FYI but Kenmore isn't a good example any way since it's a brand in limbo. Sears is trying to divest the brand and so far unsuccessfully. Got any other, more relevant examples that aren't a dying brand attached to a company in bankruptcy reorganization?
    Can you not Google?

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/k...saApclEALw_wcB

And just shut up with your other non-sense.

"But," "but," "but,"...is all the bull$#@! you got. Same model. One before the tariffs. One after. The one after is actually cheaper. Even by 2/3rds of your examples.

Can you not Google?

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/k...saApclEALw_wcB

And just shut up with your other non-sense.

"But," "but," "but,"...is all the bull$#@! you got. Same model. One before the tariffs. One after. The one after is actually cheaper. Even by 2/3rds of your examples.
    LOL!

The $512 models are "NEW WITH COSMETIC DAMAGE". Come on man. New condition in box is $612 through the outlet. There's no way to verify what the 2015 price was but again, you're using DAMAGED goods prices from a dying brand tied to a bankrupt company to try to make a point about tariffs.

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

LOL!

The $512 models are "NEW WITH COSMETIC DAMAGE". Come on man. New condition in box is $612 through the outlet. There's no way to verify what the 2015 price was but again, you're using DAMAGED goods prices from a dying brand tied to a bankrupt company to try to make a point about tariffs.
    New-Floor model. Nothing wrong with that. That's usually how I shop.

And let's not forget TWO of your examples come in cheaper than the 2015 price on this model.

Just shut the $#@! up already. You anti-tariffistas are just ridiculous. Would rather sell your country and fellows down the river for cheap imports. Done with the likes of you, your lies, obfuscations and your ilk.

New-Floor model. Nothing wrong with that. That's usually how I shop.

And let's not forget TWO of your examples come in cheaper than the 2015 price on this model.

Just shut the $#@! up already. You anti-tariffistas are just ridiculous. Would rather sell your country and fellows down the river for cheap imports. Done with the likes of you, your lies, obfuscations and your ilk.
    Where's your source on 2015 price? Or am I supposed to trust that figure just like your $512 damaged floor model example? lol

Btw, you're letting your mask slip a bit. That post was remarkably like something SS would write. Who's paying y'all to spread this bs?

Where's your source on 2015 price? Or am I supposed to trust that figure just like your $512 damaged floor model example? lol

Btw, you're letting your mask slip a bit. That post was remarkably like something SS would write. Who's paying y'all to spread this bs?
    How much does Xi pay you?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

How much does Xi pay you?
    And, as expected, SS pops up with the next post. Hmm, it's almost like you and Phill4paul are the same poster.

But seriously, the washer price thing was a load of horse$#@!. Just admit it and move on to the next fake narrative MSM article you're about to post.

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast