Thread: Cruz calls hoop a 'basketball ring' and Twitter erupts

Cruz calls hoop a 'basketball ring' and Twitter erupts

IndyStar
    http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...upts/83573574/

Ted Cruz has repeatedly stated his devotion to the classic movie "Hoosiers." In fact, he even held a rally Tuesday night in the gym where the iconic movie was filmed. Yet he stumbled a bit when it came to basic basketball terminology.

"The amazing thing is, that basketball ring in Indiana, it's the same height as it is New York City and every other place in this country," Cruz said during the rally, according to video from the scene. Traditionally, we call that a "hoop" here in Indiana.

Twitter, as you might imagine, had thoughts about the gaffe.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Yeah, Kentucky 15 delegates bound to Cruz for the first ballot can take note as well.

Ted Cruz Desecrates Classic Movie Scene By Calling Hoop a "Basketball Ring"

While stumping in Indiana tonight, Ted Cruz attempted to recreate a classic scene from Hoosiers in the very same gym
    in which part of the movie (thought not this particular scene) was filmed.

In the process, Ted Cruz managed to both alienate humans everywhere and ruin a beloved, classic film.
    In other words, just another Tuesday night for Rafael E. Cruz.

What Cruz was trying to do from Hoosiers . . .

Ted Cruz may have lost every state tonight, but don’t say he never accomplished anything.
    Because just when you thought Hoosiers couldn’t be ruined, here comes Ted Cruz.
    http://gawker.com/ted-cruz-desecrate...oop-1773255447

Cruz re-creates 'Hoosiers' scene; Twitter mocks 'basketball ring' reference
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...dale/83568962/

Last edited by Jan2017; 04-27-2016 at 07:14 AM.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

While campaigning in Indiana, Ted Cruz butchers famous scene from movie ‘Hoosiers’
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...l-hoop-a-ring/

At a campaign rally Tuesday night in Knightstown, inside the very gym where the famous movie “Hoosiers” was filmed, the Republican senator from Texas attempted to recreate one of the film’s classic scenes. With the entire gym’s attention on him, Cruz gestured excitedly to the end of the court, where a man in a sweater vest stood in front of the goal atop a red ladder.

In his hands he held a measuring tape, a nod to the scene in Hoosiers where the coach of the underdog basketball team from rural Indiana tries to calm the nerves of his awestruck players. Right after they amble into the Butler Fieldhouse in the movie, where the team was set to play in the state final game, the coach measures the height of the goal, then says this: “Ten feet. I think you’ll find that’s the exact same measurements as our gym back in Hickory.”

Here’s Ted Cruz’s version: “You know, the amazing thing about that basketball ring here in Indiana, it’s the same height as it is in New York City and every other place in this country. And there is nothing that Hoosiers cannot do.”

He called it a ring. In the land of the free and the home of the basketball lover, where children are bred to love the sound of tennis shoes squeaking on hardwood floors and Bobby Knight is a household name, Ted Cruz called the basketball hoop a basketball ring.

Are we sure Canadian's don't call it that? Heck, look at what they call "bacon" and "beer"...

Trivia...wtaf?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Are we sure Canadian's don't call it that? Heck, look at what they call "bacon" and "beer"...
    Nope.

look at what they call "bacon" and "beer"
    Its just for fun.

Isn't that a sport people who can't skate play during hockey season?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Trivia...wtaf?
    Nope. Cruz will lose Indiana because of this. I'm calling it right now.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1776_J4 View Post
    Nope. Cruz will lose Indiana because of this. I'm calling it right now.
    And neighbor state Gov. Kasich will get second with this and new Cruz superPAC anti-Kasich attack ads in Indiana . . . some deal.

I don't think anybody has called a basketball hoop a 'basketball ring' in history

Cruz is just another dumby out of touch politician, he must of had somebody in Wisconsin remind him where the Packers play because I remember John Kerry refering to Lambeau Field as Lambert Field.

If you don't watch sports, don't pretend like you do like come on

Can SpiritOf1984 please stop posting every pro-trump/anti-cruz article ever made?

Thanks...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Can SpiritOf1984 please stop posting every pro-trump/anti-cruz article ever made?

Thanks...
    Fo realz. Sheesh. Heh.

Guess basketball is more important to some of us

Looks like Ted didn't get the memo...

There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way.
    -- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    I don't think anybody has called a basketball hoop a 'basketball ring' in history
    some northern Indiana Kasich supporters might know what a basketball ring is . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    If you don't watch sports, don't pretend like you do like come on

Last edited by Jan2017; 04-27-2016 at 10:00 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Carly mentioned at her Cruz VP announcement how Cruz was so fun watching the Final Four game - throwing money on the table
    with seconds to go and game tied.

Trump receives a boost from famed Indiana basketball coach Bobby Knight
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...htmlstory.html

Trumped again.

Countless Americans play Fantasy Sports, but this is ridiculous.

In the imaginary world that Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)97%
    apparently now resides, the mathematically eliminated presidential hopeful let the world know this week that his running mate is his former GOP presidential opponent Carly Fiorina. Usually, candidates unveil their pick for veep after they have secured their party’s nomination. At the very least, they wait until ‘perceived nominee’ status is cast upon them—but not Cruz. The Texas Senator has tabbed Fiorina despite the fact that Cruz is a distant second behind Republican front runner Donald Trump and fresh off of losing five states to Trump in a single night. He is down three games to none and trailing big late in Game 4. It’s over. But Cruz hopes to somehow undo this reality.
    Perhaps former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin put it best. Palin swatted Cruz on Facebook, writing, “It’s smarter to actually put the ball through the HOOP before you claim victory.” Palin included some great vintage photos of her basketball playing days. The state champion hoopster knows a thing or two about what it takes to win.
    I wonder if he was planning this the whole time, and paid 500k for her. I think that's a violation of election laws if he did.

Wait so people in this country vote based on a candidates knowledge of sports?

Totally not worth discussing. We should never make the press the subject of discussion like they do anything worthwhile.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by fcreature View Post
    Wait so people in this country vote based on a candidates knowledge of sports?
    They do in Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Totally not worth discussing. We should never make the press the subject of discussion like they do anything worthwhile.
    Yep. There is more substance here then most political stories.

Things can get uncivil in the basketball ring.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, it's not over till the count of ten.

Jan2017

Did #TedCruz just call it a "basketball ring"? While trying to recreate a scene from #Hoosiers?
    5:57 PM - 26 Apr 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    What Cruz was trying to do from Hoosiers . . .

Ted Cruz may have lost every state tonight, but don’t say he never accomplished anything.
    Because just when you thought Hoosiers couldn’t be ruined, here comes Ted Cruz

A staged campaign event to be noticed and recorded at the high school gym used in the iconic movie about Indiana basketball -
    some people might notice, ya' think ?

Next . . . can we have CruzFiorina sing a duet for the residents of the state of Indiana ?

A hoop?

You, know--- for kids.

There is no spoon.

Donald Trump just put Bobby Knight up to speak for him again, his first rally the next day.

Mark what I said above, Cruz is going to lose Indiana over basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1776_J4 View Post
    They do in Indiana!
    I'm a Hoosier, and no we don't. Or at least, not anyone I know of.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic