Thread: This New Piece Of Legislation Could Demolish State Gun Control Laws Across The Country

This New Piece Of Legislation Could Demolish State Gun Control Laws Across The Country

The Second Amendment Guarantee Act, which was recently proposed by New York Congressman Chris Collins, could prove to be the most significant attack on gun control laws that we’ve seen in generations. According to a press release issued by Collins’ office:
    “This legislation would protect the Second Amendment rights of New Yorkers that were unjustly taken away by Andrew Cuomo,” said Collins.

“I am a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and have fought against all efforts to condemn these rights. I stand with the law-abiding citizens of this state that have been outraged by the SAFE Act and voice my commitment to roll back these regulations.
    SAGA would provide an intimidating bulwark against gun control advocates in blue states. In a nutshell, it would prevent these states from passing restrictive laws that exceed the scope of federal gun laws.
    In the Collins’ bill, States or local governments would not be able to regulate, prohibit, or require registration and licensing (that are any more restrictive under Federal law) for the sale, manufacturing, importation, transfer, possession, or marketing of a rifle or shotgun. Additionally, “rifle or shotgun” includes any part of the weapon including any detachable magazine or ammunition feeding devise and any type of pistol grip or stock design.

Under this legislation, any current or future laws enacted by a state or political subdivision that exceeds federal law for rifles and shotguns would be void. Should a state violate this law, and a plaintiff goes to court, the court will award the prevailing plaintiff a reasonable attorney’s fee in addition to any other damages.

More at: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...across-country

This should move CALExit forward.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds great but should be handled at state level.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikezelot View Post
    Sounds great but should be handled at state level.
    The 2nd amendment trumps the states, as does the entire bill of rights, some would argue that it originally did not but I disagree (Article 4 Section 2 1: The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.), and in any case the 14th Amendment made sure of it. (1: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States)

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

And I agree that no state should be allowed to make guns illegal. But if states want to make laws regarding guns then that's up to them. A prescient will be set now that all gun related laws should be handled at the federal level and that's no good when team blue is in power.

And I agree that no state should be allowed to make guns illegal. But if states want to make laws regarding guns then that's up to them. A prescient will be set now that all gun related laws should be handled at the federal level and that's no good when team blue is in power.
    It says that states can't be more restrictive than the feds, that won't affect the feds status quo since they already have laws more restrictive than some states, this is only good.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Do you also believe that states should be allowed to make laws regarding "freedom of speech" or "freedom of religion" also?

"We're not telling you that you can't say anything offensive, the law just states you can't say anything offensive when someone else can hear it. Your freedom of speech is intact."
    "We're not telling you that you can't worship God, the law just states you can't worship God outside the privacy of your home or in a government sanctioned religious facility. Your freedom of religion is intact."

- ML