Thread: A Ron Paul Presence on Diaspora (a privacy friendly soc-net)

A Ron Paul Presence on Diaspora (a privacy friendly soc-net)

Disapora is a new social network that does not have the privacy problems of FB/G+/Twitter.

Here is an an excerpt from an article about it

Diaspora is open-source software that duplicates the functions of a social network like Facebook while ensuring that users retain full control and ownership of everything they share on the network; instead of first uploading photos to Facebook and then choosing who gets to see them, Diaspora users can simply share photos directly with each other without having to go through a corporate middleman or agree to a company privacy policy.

There is no central Diaspora network or Website; since the Diaspora code is freely available online, anyone with a server handy can host a Diaspora server that you can join. The software is still in development, but an alpha version is already available and several Diaspora servers are already operational. These servers (known as “pods”) allow registered users to store data (like mail and photos) and maintain their own personal profile. Every pod is different: Some are invite-only, some have space limits, and some are more secure than others. You can even host your own Diaspora pod to retain absolute control of your online identity. It’s like living in your own private Idaho (on the Internet.)
    It is in alpha right now (not a whole lot of functionality). I signed up on the list early, and got in a week or so ago. It looks good.

If anyone wants an invite, send me a PM with an email address you want to use for this. I'd like to see a strong RP presence there, and imagine many members here who stay away from FB/G+/Tw will be able to expand their reach without sacrificing their privacy

Onward!
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have any screen shots of the UI?

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets_Race View Post
    Have any screen shots of the UI?
    Looks alot like G+
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DiasporaScSh.jpg  
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

invites sent to alex and newbi

~ C.Coolidge

I definitely plan on checking out any privacy-friendly social networks. Facebook just gets more and more frightening by the day.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Wow. I need to look into this. Then I need to get my kids to look into this....
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I was just reading about hosting a POD. I have a spare PC, think I will host up a POD so everyone can have a cool liberty home pod =). Give me a week or so. Thanks RPH, I had forgotten all about this for some reason.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Invites sent to all who sent a PM...

~ C.Coolidge

bump for the evening crew

~ C.Coolidge

I own the domain liberty-seeds.com. I was intending on setting up a pod when it gets out of alpha.

Thanks! I will definitely be using this.

I just got my account set up (look for Barrett R.) Thanks again, RPH!
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 10-03-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Wow. I need to look into this. Then I need to get my kids to look into this....
    The trick is getting your kids friends to look at it, otherwise they will be in a sandbox all by themselves, so to speak and/or literally.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    I just got my account set up (look for Barrett R.) Thanks again, RPH!
    np

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The trick is getting your kids friends to look at it, otherwise they will be in a sandbox all by themselves, so to speak and/or literally.
    I'm hoping it becomes like a base for soc-netting. Right now you can automatically post from any one of the big three into the others via things like publishsynch. Diaspora only has Tumblr synchable at the moment, but I'm sure that will change as this develops...

I suspect this will grow steadily. Open source distributed networks are attractive for many reasons, (and IINM hard for authorities to control...).

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    Disapora is a new social network that does not have the privacy problems of FB/G+/Twitter.

Here is an an excerpt from an article about it

It is in alpha right now (not a whole lot of functionality). I signed up on the list early, and got in a week or so ago. It looks good.

If anyone wants an invite, send me a PM with an email address you want to use for this. I'd like to see a strong RP presence there, and imagine many members here who stay away from FB/G+/Tw will be able to expand their reach without sacrificing their privacy

Onward!
    El bumpo
    Diaspora recently updated, and things are looking more functional/polished.

PM sent
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    El bumpo
    Diaspora recently updated, and things are looking more functional/polished.

PM sent
    6 years later??
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    6 years later??
    Is FedBook still vile??
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

I'd forgotten about that place... Good to see still around.

Handle is:
    rph@joindiaspora.com

Join link:
    https://www.joindiaspora.com/i/c8c5af00044f

Wonder how blockchain tech is gonna impact this...

~ C.Coolidge