Thread: Nancy Pelosi's favorite bible verse? Not in the bible...

Exclamation Nancy Pelosi's favorite bible verse? Not in the bible...

Channeling Jules Winfield.

I wonder why Slate is throwing her under the bus?

Not lefty enough I suppose.

Nancy Pelosi Keeps Quoting Her Favorite Bible Verse. The Mystery: It’s Not Actually in the Bible.

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...ter-needs.html

By RUTH GRAHAM

FEB 04, 2019 5:50 AM

Nancy Pelosi addressed a gathering of presidents of Christian colleges this week in Washington, where she thanked the evangelical community for its leadership on immigration and refugee policy reform. To this end, the speaker of the House quoted a favorite bit of biblical wisdom in her opening statement: “To minister to the needs of God’s creation is an act of worship. To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us.”

OK, actually, she said, it might not technically be from the Bible. “I can’t find it in the Bible, but I quote it all the time,” Pelosi said as she introduced the quote. “I keep reading and reading the Bible—I know it’s there someplace. It’s supposed to be in Isaiah. I heard a bishop say, ‘To minister to the needs of God’s creation … ’ ”

To clarify: It is not “there someplace.”

“The Pelosi passage is not in the Bible,” Will Kynes, an associate professor of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament at Whitworth University, told me by email. The closest analog he could find was Proverbs 14:31, which switches the order of the two main ideas and focuses specifically on the poor: “Those who oppress the poor insult their Maker, but those who are kind to the needy honor him.” Greg MaGee, an associate professor of biblical studies at Taylor University, independently suggested the same verse as the closest approximation of the sentiment in Pelosi’s version.

Pelosi got one thing right: She does in fact “quote it all the time.” The earliest example I found comes from the Congressional Record in 2002, in a speech honoring a prominent Catholic priest in San Francisco who had recently died. “The Bible tells us that to minister to the needs of God’s creation is an act of worship,” she said on the House floor. “To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us.”

It’s the next best thing to the Prophet Isaiah himself appearing on the House floor.

Between 2002 and 2018, the quote appears 12 times in the Congressional Record, with Pelosi responsible for all but one of the entries. (The other time, Texas Republican Louie Gohmert was quoting Pelosi.) She has deployed it in speeches to recognize genocide in Darfur (“to ignore God’s creation, which are these children, is to dishonor the God who made them”), to strengthen the Endangered Species Act (“to minister to the needs of God’s creation, and that includes our beautiful environment”), twice to honor Catholic schools (“my Catholic education taught me that to minister to the needs of God’s creation”), and to express condolences after the 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia (“it is appropriate on many occasions, but I thought of it the minute I saw the tsunami”).

It’s easy to see why the line is useful for a politician. It suggests that to do any kind of earthly good—“to minister to the needs of God’s creation”—is a holy act. The quote is a dollop of ancient wisdom on top of a dry discussion of policy. It’s the next best thing to the Prophet Isaiah himself appearing on the House floor to, say, oppose a particular iteration of the Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013 (“to ignore those needs, as this bill does, is to dishonor the God who made us”).

Pelosi has faced surprisingly little pushback over the years for her repeated citation of a nonexistent Bible verse. There was a flurry of harrumphing on conservative websites in 2008, after one site called around to some Bible scholars to confirm that the line didn’t come from the Bible. But she kept on using it, and there’s been little objection from the left or the right in the decade since. That may be because of the fact that politicians mangle quotes and their sources constantly. And Pelosi’s hemming and hawing in her speech this week suggests that she’s aware by now that she has it wrong.

As for the actual source material, it remains a mystery for now. An inquiring phone call to Pelosi’s office on Thursday was not returned. The entire internet contains zero examples of the line apart from its many uses by the speaker of the House. If “a bishop” is responsible for it, as she suggested this week, he or she has not put it in writing in a location accessible to search engines. If anyone reading this has any leads on the origins of the quote, I hope you will share your insight with those of us who are curious. After all, to minister to the needs of God’s creation is an act of worship. To ignore those needs is to dishonor the God who made us.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doubt shes ever picked up a bible in her life.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

OK, actually, she said, it might not technically be from the Bible. “I can’t find it in the Bible, but I quote it all the time,” Pelosi said as she introduced the quote. “I keep reading and reading the Bible—I know it’s there someplace. It’s supposed to be in Isaiah. I heard a bishop say, ‘To minister to the needs of God’s creation … ’ ”
    ...What the hell is wrong with these people? If you can't find it in the bible...there's a good chance it's not actually in the bible. $#@!ing post-reality man...

Traditions of men that make void the word of God.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Doubt shes ever picked up a bible in her life.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Trump has made errors too.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...icle-1.2364282

Donald Trump butchers Bible, quotes non-existent verse during TV interview about his love for holy book

Don't take a page out of Donald Trump's holy book.

The Republican presidential candidate who has preached about how much he loves the Bible butchered the Book of Proverbs and nearly invented his own scripture in an interview Wednesday.

"There's so many things that you can learn from it," Trump said in an exclusive sit-down with the Christian Broadcasting Network from his California golf course. "Proverbs, the chapter 'never bend to envy.' I've had that thing all of my life where people are bending to envy."

But the bombastic billionaire horribly misquoted the verse. While the topic of envy appears a few times in the Book of Proverbs, the line he cited does not, CNN reported.

Trump's campaign later told CBN the GOP hopeful was referring to Proverbs 24:1-2: "Be not thou envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them. For their heart studieth destruction, and their lips talk of mischief."

The gaffe comes after Trump declared the Bible to be his favorite book without sharing his favorite verse.

"I wouldn't want to get into it because to me, that's very personal," the real estate mogul told Bloomberg news last month. "The Bible means a lot to me, but I don't want to get into specifics."

Trump also compared the Bible to a "great movie" during his CBN interview with host David Brody before Wednesday night's GOP debate.

"I don't like to use this analogy, but like a great movie, a great, incredible movie," he said, wearing his infamous red "Make America Great Again" cap.

"You'll see it once, it will be good. You'll see it again. You can see it 20 times and every time you'll appreciate it more," Trump added. "The Bible is the most special thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Thanks for the information.

When Trump does that for 15 years and keeps insisting it's right, get back to me, OK?

In the meantime:

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Proverbs 3:31 (KJV)

31 Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Thanks for the information.

When Trump does that for 15 years and keeps insisting it's right, get back to me, OK?
    More importantly it won't be the same until he uses a misquote to justify some increase in government.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Nancy Peyote's Bible was written by the author of Mein Kampf.

I know one that is actually in the Bible and directly contradicts her implementation of her made up verse; Thou shall not steal.

Another imagined Bible Quote;
    Those who shall not have prospered through their own sloth shall take
    from those that have laboriously toiled for theirs.