Thread: Trump: Environmental laws making California wildfires 'so much worse'

Trump: Environmental laws making California wildfires 'so much worse'

President Trump appeared on Sunday to place blame for massive wildfires in California on the state's environmental laws, including its water and forest management policies, saying that such regulations have made the blazes "so much worse."
    "California wildfires are being magnified & made so much worse by the bad environmental laws which aren’t allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized," Trump tweeted. "It is being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Must also tree clear to stop fire spreading!"

More at: http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...&utm_content=1
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Known this for over 30 years, when the first widespread restrictions on logging went into place.

People were warned that this would happen.

But of course, it can never be the fault of bone headed government fatwas, no, it's climate change.

I would state more to do with population and the environment is more the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    As if you would know.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

All of the above.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

but you are already known to be full of crap. of course you could Flaunt your ignorance like a hero's cape if you like.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Harvest rates (logging) have dropped 2/3.

Over half of all CA forested land (57%) is owned by the fedgov.

Only a tiny percentage of the population lives on forested land, owned by anybody.

https://lao.ca.gov/reports/2018/3798...ent-040418.pdf

Massive fires were the pre-historic norm.

Human intervention reduced those over the last century.

Now human intervention and action is considered evil and to be eliminated, so the fires have, literally, come roaring back.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    but you are already known to be full of crap. of course you could Flaunt your ignorance like a hero's cape if you like.
    No it is just you who thinks everything is the government's fault.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone with a brain knows that is the case for most things.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

-rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Dammit, I forgot to switch the rep to neg... Force of habit plus little coffee absorption I guess. Anybody got a double ding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross ordered the National Marines Fisheries Service, which is under his jurisdiction, to take control of water use in California and override any efforts to protect endangered species. "The protection of life and property takes precedence over any current agreements regarding the use of water in the areas of California affected by wildfires," Ross said in a statement.
    The directive asks the federal agency to “make clear” that water can be used as necessary to fight the fires, even if they impact endangered species.
    The National Marine Fisheries Service works with the state to protect the delta smelt and Chinook salmon, two fish species under threat because of California's drought, according to ABC News. The two agencies limit the amount the water taken from rivers to protect fish.

“American lives and property are at stake and swift action is needed,” Ross said.

More at: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-at-stake.html

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by fedupinmo View Post
    Dammit, I forgot to switch the rep to neg... Force of habit plus little coffee absorption I guess. Anybody got a double ding?
    I hit him once for you.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Maybe California should start banning people from camping in forests. Surely that'll stop all the wildfires from happening.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

It’s a zoo out there. Nobody seems to understand that forests need to be managed. Wood is a renewable resource.
    Last edited by euphemia; 08-09-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An article in the guardian by Matthew Hurteau, a New Mexico biology professor.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...est-management

An article in the guardian by Matthew Hurteau, a New Mexico biology professor.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...est-management

But that is not what’s going on. For one thing, a large portion of the area burning is not forest.

Uhh.. ok...

PARADISE, CA - NOVEMBER 09: Smoke rises beyond PG&E's Poe Dam off I-70, in Pulga, Calif., November 9, 2018, near the reported start of the Camp Fire blaze that destroyed the town of Paradise and killed at least six people. (Karl Mondon/Bay Area News Group)

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Is the biology professor wrong entirely?

California Gov. Jerry Brown’s decision to veto a 2016 bipartisan bill aimed at mitigating wildfire risks from power lines and utility equipment has become the focus of critics as fires rage across the state.
    Wildfires have scorched more than 221,000 acres across California since Thursday, and Brown’s critics are pointing to the two-year-old veto as news reports suggest power lines may have sparked the deadliest wildfire in California’s history.
    “He has done nothing to harden those assets,” state Sen. John Moorlach, a Republican, told The Daily Caller News Foundation. (RELATED: Jerry Brown Is ‘Not Correct’ About California Wildfires, Scientist Says)
    Moorlach sponsored the 2016 bill, called SB 1463, which would have given local governments a bigger role in putting together fire risk maps with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and Cal Fire, the state’s firefighting agency.
    The bill also required the CPUC to work with utilities to mitigate wildfire risks, including putting transmission lines underground if necessary. The bill passed through both state legislative chambers, but Brown vetoed the bill in September 2016. Brown said state officials “have been doing just that through the existing proceeding on re-threat maps and re-safety regulations.”

Two years later, Moorlach said the state agencies and utilities have made little progress in mitigating the risk of wildfires faced by communities across the state.
    “Well they’ve been working on it for like eight years and they haven’t gotten it done. This is really simple stuff,” Moorlach said. “Utilities are just sort of hanging onto the money.”
    Journalist Katy Grimes also criticized Brown’s veto. The conservative journalist tweeted that “Brown had many chances to address CA’s increasing wildfires since his election in 2011, but instead chose to play politics.”

More at: https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/13/c...rown-wildfire/

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment