Thread: Airlines put off plans to serve alcohol after passenger disruptions, assault on board

Exclamation Airlines put off plans to serve alcohol after passenger disruptions, assault on board

@Danke , do something

American, Southwest put off plans to serve alcohol after passenger disruptions, assault on board

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/29/sout...t-assault.html

Published Sat, May 29 202111:46 AM

Southwest Airlines says it’s delaying a planned return of alcohol sales on board.

The decision comes after one of its flight attendants was assaulted on board.

The FAA this week said incidents, some of them violent, against flight attendants have surged this year, even though passenger numbers are below normal levels.

Southwest Airlines and American Airlines said they are holding off on resuming alcoholic beverage services, after a flight attendant was assaulted and the industry grapples with a surge of other passenger incidents on board.

A Southwest flight attendant suffered injuries to her face and lost two teeth after she was assaulted by a passenger, according to a May 24 letter from Southwest flight attendants’ union president Lyn Montgomery to CEO Gary Kelly. Between April 8 to May 15, there were 477 passenger misconduct incidents on Southwest flights, Montgomery wrote.

Airlines have been slowly bringing back some meal snack and beverage service that they had paused early in the pandemic.

American Airlines said it won’t sell alcoholic beverages in the main cabin through Sept. 13, when the federal mask mandate is set to expire. It will still offer alcohol beverages in first and business class but only in flight.

“Over the past week we’ve seen some of these stressors create deeply disturbing situations on board aircraft,” Brady Byrnes, managing director of flight service at American, said in note to flight attendants. “Let me be clear: American Airlines will not tolerate assault or mistreatment of our crews.”

Dallas-based Southwest had planned to resume alcohol sales in June for Hawaii flights, and in July for longer domestic flights in the continental United States. A Southwest spokesman said there is currently “no timetable” for the alcohol sales to resume.

“As alcohol sales are added back into this already volatile environment, you can surely understand our concern,” Montgomery wrote in the letter.

On Monday, a day after the incident on board the Sacramento to San Diego flight, the Federal Aviation Administration said it has received approximately 2,500 reports of unruly passenger behavior this year, approximately 1,900 of those cases involving travelers who refused to follow the federal mask mandate during air travel.

The Biden administration still requires that people wear face masks on planes, at the airport, and on buses and trains through Sept. 13, though the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has loosened guidelines for vaccinated individuals in other settings.

“We also recognize that alcohol can contribute to atypical behavior from customers onboard and we owe it to our crew not to potentially exacerbate what can already be a new and stressful situation for our customers,” Byrnes said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If no alcohol has been served, why does alcohol have anything to do with the disruptions?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    If no alcohol has been served, why does alcohol have anything to do with the disruptions?
    Common sense these days, you crack me up.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    @Danke , do something
    I can go through security with all the liquids I want. There, I did something.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Wonder if these 'incidents' have anything to do with diversity?

But psychotropic drugs are totally okay.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Wonder if these 'incidents' have anything to do with diversity?
    From witness reports, it sounded like a cat fight. Ban cats?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Nothing to do with the fight on Southwest that according to witnesses was equally caused by the flight attendant and the passenger.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Airport bar + travel mug.
    “Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H.L. Mencken

Southwest flight attendants’ union president Lyn Montgomery to CEO Gary Kelly.
    Just like teacher’s unions don't want things to return to normal. I’d imagine that snack and drink service is a big pain, and the hardest part of the job. Can flight attendants work from home like teachers? The Union would probably like that solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    @Danke , do something
    Why would he want to do something? That leaves him more drinks in the cockpit and Oyarde won't get drunk in the passenger section and insist on going forward to try to fly the plane. Win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I can go through security with all the liquids I want. There, I did something.
    Bladder transport does not count.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This is crazy, some people are definitely nicer people when drinking on a plane, others are not. Judge by situation, that's how airlines have always decided who to serve alcohol and who to stop serving.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    This is crazy, some people are definitely nicer people when drinking on a plane, others are not. Judge by situation, that's how airlines have always decided who to serve alcohol and who to stop serving.
    That is often the precursor to the bigger confrontations.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That is often the precursor to the bigger confrontations.
    I did not say it always works.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    Airport bar + travel mug.

See those prices in airport bars?

Care to make that a double sir? That’ll be $19.00
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    See those prices in airport bars?

Care to make that a double sir? That’ll be $19.00

Ask for the Air Crew discount next time.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Drinking alcohol on planes sounds like something only the political elite would be allowed to do.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Ask for the Air Crew discount next time.
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll actually try that next time I fly...
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson