Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Person of the Year

Time Person of the Year

Donald Trump did not win yet again. He did win in 2016.

2019 PERSON OF THE YEAR
    Greta Thunberg

ATHLETE of the year
    U.S. Women’s Soccer Team

GUARDIANS of the year
    The Public Servants

ENTERTAINER of the year
    Lizzo

BUSINESSPERSON of the year
    Bob Iger

Greta Thunberg sits in silence in the cabin of the boat that will take her across the Atlantic Ocean. Inside, there’s a cow skull hanging on the wall, a faded globe, a child’s yellow raincoat. Outside, it’s a tempest: rain pelts the boat, ice coats the decks, and the sea batters the vessel that will take this slight girl, her father and a few companions from Virginia to Portugal. For a moment, it’s as if Thunberg were the eye of a hurricane, a pool of resolve at the center of swirling chaos. In here, she speaks quietly. Out there, the entire natural world seems to amplify her small voice, screaming along with her.

“We can’t just continue living as if there was no tomorrow, because there is a tomorrow,” she says, tugging on the sleeve of her blue sweatshirt. “That is all we are saying.”

It’s a simple truth, delivered by a teenage girl in a fateful moment. The sailboat, La Vagabonde, will shepherd Thunberg to the Port of Lisbon, and from there she will travel to Madrid, where the United Nations is hosting this year’s climate conference. It is the last such summit before nations commit to new plans to meet a major deadline set by the Paris Agreement. Unless they agree on transformative action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the world’s temperature rise since the Industrial Revolution will hit the 1.5°C mark—an eventuality that scientists warn will expose some 350 million additional people to drought and push roughly 120 million people into extreme poverty by 2030. For every fraction of a degree that temperatures increase, these problems will worsen. This is not fearmongering; this is science. For decades, researchers and activists have struggled to get world leaders to take the climate threat seriously. But this year, an unlikely teenager somehow got the world’s attention.

Thunberg began a global movement by skipping school: starting in August 2018, she spent her days camped out in front of the Swedish Parliament, holding a sign painted in black letters on a white background that read Skolstrejk för klimatet: “School Strike for Climate.” In the 16 months since, she has addressed heads of state at the U.N., met with the Pope, sparred with the President of the United States and inspired 4 million people to join the global climate strike on September 20, 2019, in what was the largest climate demonstration in human history. Her image has been celebrated in murals and Halloween costumes, and her name has been attached to everything from bike shares to beetles. Margaret Atwood compared her to Joan of Arc. After noticing a hundredfold increase in its usage, lexicographers at Collins Dictionary named Thunberg’s pioneering idea, climate strike, the word of the year.

The politics of climate action are as entrenched and complex as the phenomenon itself, and Thunberg has no magic solution. But she has succeeded in creating a global attitudinal shift, transforming millions of vague, middle-of-the-night anxieties into a worldwide movement calling for urgent change. She has offered a moral clarion call to those who are willing to act, and hurled shame on those who are not. She has persuaded leaders, from mayors to Presidents, to make commitments where they had previously fumbled: after she spoke to Parliament and demonstrated with the British environmental group Extinction Rebellion, the U.K. passed a law requiring that the country eliminate its carbon footprint. She has focused the world’s attention on environmental injustices that young indigenous activists have been protesting for years. Because of her, hundreds of thousands of teenage “Gretas,” from Lebanon to Liberia, have skipped school to lead their peers in climate strikes around the world.

“This moment does feel different,” former Vice President Al Gore, who won the Nobel Peace Prize for his decades of climate advocacy work, tells TIME. “Throughout history, many great morally based movements have gained traction at the very moment when young people decided to make that movement their cause.”

Thunberg is 16 but looks 12. She usually wears her light brown hair pulled into two braids, parted in the middle. She has Asperger’s syndrome, which means she doesn’t operate on the same emotional register as many of the people she meets. She dislikes crowds; ignores small talk; and speaks in direct, uncomplicated sentences. She cannot be flattered or distracted. She is not impressed by other people’s celebrity, nor does she seem to have interest in her own growing fame. But these very qualities have helped make her a global sensation. Where others smile to cut the tension, Thunberg is withering. Where others speak the language of hope, Thunberg repeats the unassailable science: Oceans will rise. Cities will flood. Millions of people will suffer.

“I want you to panic,” she told the annual convention of CEOs and world leaders at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, in January. “I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act.”

Thunberg is not a leader of any political party or advocacy group. She is neither the first to sound the alarm about the climate crisis nor the most qualified to fix it. She is not a scientist or a politician. She has no access to traditional levers of influence: she’s not a billionaire or a princess, a pop star or even an adult. She is an ordinary teenage girl who, in summoning the courage to speak truth to power, became the icon of a generation. By clarifying an abstract danger with piercing outrage, Thunberg became the most compelling voice on the most important issue facing the planet.

Along the way, she emerged as a standard bearer in a generational battle, an avatar of youth activists across the globe fighting for everything from gun control to democratic representation. Her global climate strike is the largest and most international of all the youth movements, but it’s hardly the only one: teenagers in the U.S. are organizing against gun violence and flocking to progressive candidates; students in Hong Kong are battling for democratic representation; and young people from South America to Europe are agitating for remaking the global economy. Thunberg is not aligned with these disparate protests, but her insistent presence has come to represent the fury of youth worldwide. According to a December Amnesty International survey, young people in 22 countries identified climate change as the most important issue facing the world. She is a reminder that the people in charge now will not be in charge forever, and that the young people who are inheriting dysfunctional governments, broken economies and an increasingly unlivable planet know just how much the adults have failed them.

More at link.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump will probably be Person of the Year next year when he wins reelection.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Now they're just trolling.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Greta Thunberg is mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
    Greta Thunberg is mentally ill.
    So is TIME.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

How dare you!
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

The Hong Kong protestors should have been the winners.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

"You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who the $#@! is "Lizzo"?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Who the $#@! is "Lizzo"?

And what are "The Public Servants"
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Now they're just trolling.
    They're creating the false narrative, like all media.

TIME Magazine, like all globalist publications, has got to be a huge financial loser. The globalists have so much money they can prop up these fake news organs to push their propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    They're creating the false narrative, like all media.

TIME Magazine, like all globalist publications, has got to be a huge financial loser. The globalists have so much money they can prop up these fake news organs to push their propaganda.
    Yes indeed. How else could this person be foisted upon us without a concerted effort to do so? It sure doesn't feel organic.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

Who the $#@! is "Lizzo"?
    Come on man, don't be that guy. Nothing pains me more than going to yahoo comment section and seeing some old head asking "what is a lizzo?", "what is a miggos?"...... some latest rap name. I will clue you in with the hope that this is the last time you ever ask this question. Lizzo is a nickname, a moniker, a handle, a sobriquet, an appellation ......... sometimes they mean something but other times it doesn't mean anything. I am sure you guys had those in your days.

You never see millennial asking "what is a Lynard Skynyrd?", "what is a ZZtop?", "what is a bee gees?", "what is an aerosmith?" etc etc.

Who the $#@! is "Lizzo"?
    Your type?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Come on man, don't be that guy. Nothing pains me more than going to yahoo comment section and seeing some old head asking "what is a lizzo?", "what is a miggos?"...... some latest rap name. I will clue you in with the hope that this is the last time you ever ask this question. Lizzo is a nickname, a moniker, a handle, a sobriquet, an appellation ......... sometimes they mean something but other times it doesn't mean anything. I am sure you guys had those in your days.

You never see millennial asking "what is a Lynard Skynyrd?", "what is a ZZtop?", "what is a bee gees?", "what is an aerosmith?" etc etc.
    +rep lizzo is totally the aerosmith of this generation
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Your type?

Is that an African singing whale? There was an article about them in Nature
    - Kim Kardashian

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Yes indeed. How else could this person be foisted upon us without a concerted effort to do so? It sure doesn't feel organic.
    What? Don't all sixteen year olds have a yacht and crew at their disposal so they can trot the globe without flying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

https://twitter.com/RaheemKassam/sta...smi%3D80865497

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 12.14.44 PM.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	798.0 KB 
ID:	7295
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post

I do all the time.

I just watched a video where a millennial could not work a manual can opener.

So to say I am not hip to what their idiot idioms may be at any moment, is a badge of honor to me.

Even when I was young, I was never "hip" and never "with it".

Because those who are, get caught by time:

That still doesn't explain what a "Lizzo" is...is it a Nigerian Lesbian?

Do they speak Ebonics in Oshogbo?

Who the $#@! is "Lizzo"?
    That crossed my mind and then I thought , nah , I don't want to know .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    That is how you know they are trolling you . They are so retarded it is at least possible greta and lizzo are legit , no way though anyone is retarded enough to believe public servants are your guardian . What are they guarding , your paycheck ?
    Last edited by oyarde; 12-16-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Do something Danke

It's a wonder why the anonymous whistleblower didn't get Time Person of the Year. I guess we'll never know who it was.
    - Kim Kardashian

I just watched a video where a millennial could not work a manual can opener.
    lol

If societal collapse ever happens, just think of all the bartering you can do with them.
    "Give me 3/4 of your canned food and I'll show you how to work that can opener, sonny..."
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 12-16-2019 at 11:14 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That is how you know they are trolling you . They are so retarded it is at least possible greta and lizzo are legit , no way though anyone is retarded enough to believe public servants are your guardian . What are they guarding , your paycheck ?
    Their paycheck.

Every time I hear that "public servant" bull$#@! I want to puke.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    It's a wonder why the anonymous whistleblower didn't get Time Person of the Year. I guess we'll never know who it was.

That crossed my mind and then I thought , nah , I don't want to know .
    I found out...

This is Lizzo.

Right up @Danke 's alley.

And to @juleswin , no, I seriously had no idea that Lizzo was, in fact, a caterwauling 350 lb black woman.

I found out...

This is Lizzo.

Right up @Danke 's alley.

And to @juleswin , no, I seriously had no idea that Lizzo was, in fact, a caterwauling 350 lb black woman.
    I am not really sure what that attire is but it looks like it should have pants .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Looks like Time is total garbage across the board.

I am not really sure what that attire is but it looks like it should have pants .
    Chip-In to pay her to Christmas carol at AF's residence.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast