Thread: Diet Soda Habit as Bad for Teeth as Meth Addiction, Study Claims

Diet Soda Habit as Bad for Teeth as Meth Addiction, Study Claims

There goes diet coke off my "lesser evil" drinks list.
    Before I used to drink lot of OJ with amlost every meal thinking it was healthier choice, my dentist recently said that it was causing damage to teeth enamel, brsushing teeth after drinking OJ is also bad apparently and should just rinse mouth with water.

Is there any feel good beverage left to drink other than plain boring water?

Diet Soda Habit as Bad for Teeth as Meth Addiction, Study Claims

. Coca-Cola is winning the fight for America's soda drinkers. Diet Coke bubbled up into the second spot in the U.S. soft drink market, ending Pepsi's decades-long run as the perennial runner-up to regular Coca-Cola. Regular Coke remains the undisputed champion at 1.6 billion cases. (AP Photo)

Story Highlights

• Heavy consumption of diet soda can damage teeth as badly as methamphetamine or crack cocaine.
    • All are highly acidic and can cause similar dental problems.
    • Without good dental hygiene, constant exposure can cause erosion and significant oral damage.

Thursday, May 23, 2013, 2:00 PM

THURSDAY, May 23 (HealthDay News) -- Heavy consumption of diet soda can damage teeth as badly as methamphetamine or crack cocaine, a new study contends.
    "You look at it side-to-side with 'meth mouth' or 'coke mouth,' it is startling to see the intensity and extent of damage more or less the same," said Dr. Mohamed Bassiouny, a professor of restorative dentistry at the Temple University School of Dentistry in Philadelphia.
    Methamphetamine, crack cocaine and soda -- sweetened or not -- are all highly acidic and can cause similar dental problems, Bassiouny said in a study published recently in the journal General Dentistry.
    The acid in soda is in the form of citric acid and phosphoric acid, Bassiouny said. Without good dental hygiene, constant exposure can cause erosion and significant oral damage, he said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/...dy_Claims.html

Related info:

Soda’s Effect on our Teeth

Soda can do some remarkable damage to your teeth. Some research suggests it may be just as corrosive to teeth as drinking battery fluid, and this can occur as soon as the first three minutes of consumption. This is caused by a combination of mostly three factors, one is the sugar (which is really a minor factor compared to the others) then comes the phosphoric acid present in some sodas and finally the staining effect that they can have on your teeth.

The sugar problem is caused by acid creating bacteria on the surface of your teeth that feed on sugar and use it to create acid, which destroys your teeth. The sugar in sodas is easily used by the teeth as opposed to the sugars in say, whole grain bread which does not break down in the mouth.

The phosphoric acid is worth avoiding in general. This is the same substance that dentists use to scour enamel so you know it's effective in removing it. Of course it's not present in the same concentrations as in a dental application but it could be worth avoiding all the same. Erosion is far more harmful than decay, and can cause hypersentivity.

Finally comes the cavities and the staining of the teeth. Sodas add layers of sugars to your teeth that create plaque and offer food for hordes of bacteria that happen to be in your mouth. Over time this layer can produce a yellowed effect on your teeth that is unsightly and will need to be treated by a dentist.

So what can you do to prevent this? The most obvious answer is to reduce or altogether stop consuming sodas. Substitute with fresh fruit juices or just have milk or better yet, water. Citrus juice should be consumed in moderation, and if possible, in one sitting, as the highly acidic nature of these juices can cause harm teeth. Energy drinks and power drinks should also be avoided as they can have as much or even more sugar than sodas.

If you do have soda, use a straw to reduce contact with your teeth. Also, rinse out your mouth and teeth with water, to wash out the sugars and stop them from wearing away the enamel in your teeth. Reduce your cavities and stop the erosion of enamel by using toothpaste and mouth rinse with fluoride.

http://www.dentistry.net/dental-nutrition/soda-on-teeth

Some interesting semi-scientific tips found here:

Try to drink soda as quickly as possible to limit the time of contact of the acids with your teeth. Acid erosion occurs while dietary acids from foods and drinks are in direct contact with your teeth. Gulping soda quickly is the best way to limit the time of contact.
    [Why not just use a straw and gulp less, drink less]

Do not brush immediately after drinking soda. The acids in the soda will soften your enamel slightly making it more easily abraded by your toothbrush. If this is done often enough, major damage can be done. It is best to wait a minimum of 30 minutes (if you have good saliva flow) or to use a re-balancing rinse before brushing.

Avoid eating abrasive foods while you are drinking soda. This will compound the erosive effects of soda.

10 Tricks to Keep Soda from Rotting Teeth | Slow Acid Erosion from Sodas

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting. I drink a can or two a day and havent haf a cavity in a long time. Another reason I should probably stop drinking the stuff though.

Okay after reading the article I see its not real science. The "study" looked at only a single person who did not go to the dentist in 20 years and then tried to claim her problems were due to drinking a 2 liter a day.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Okay after reading the article I see its not real science. The "study" looked at only a single person who did not go to the dentist in 20 years and then tried to claim her problems were due to drinking a 2 liter a day.
    Moderate use likely is not that damaging. Similar claims have been made by other studies also though.

The Acidity (pH) of Soda Pop

More bad news for soda drinkers (that includes both regular and diet sodas). In 2007 a study was published in General Dentistry on the acidity of some common soft drinks, and what effect those soft drinks had when a recently extracted tooth was submerged in them for 2 days. This study was done to cause the tooth decay that soda causes.

What is pH?

Acidity ranges in general go from 0 to 14, with a pH of 7 being neutral. Pure water is typically considered neutral at pH 7, where tap water has been measured having a pH of 7.67, a slight base.
    For more on Acids, Bases, and pH.
    Here is a chart of the ph of some common household items:

Solution
    pH
    Acidic Lemon Juice 1.6-1.8
    Vinegar 2.5
    Milk 6.3-6.6
    Saliva 6.2-7.4
    Neutral Pure Water 7.0
    Basic Blood 7.4
    Egg Whites 7.6-8.0
    Milk of Magnesia 10.5

The pH of soda pop

So how did soda fare in this study? As you could probably guess, not too well.
    Here is a chart of the acidity levels of some common sodas:

Soda Name
    pH
    Coke 2.525
    Diet Coke 3.289
    Pepsi 2.530
    Diet Pepsi 3.031
    Dr. Pepper 2.899
    Diet Dr. Pepper 3.169
    Cherry Coke 2.522
    RC Cola 2.387
    Mr. Pibb 2.902
    Mountain Dew 3.229
    Diet Mountain Dew 3.365
    Squirt 2.898
    Surge 3.004
    Slice Orange 3.059
    Sprite 3.202
    7 Up 3.202
    Diet 7 Up 3.706
    Lemon Brisk 2.868
    Lemon Nestea 2.969
    Mug Root beer 4.038
    Tap Water 7.67

The worst offender was RC Cola, Cherry Coke, Coke and Pepsi not far behind. The least acidic soda was Mug Root Beer at a pH of 4. Results of Study

The study was done by submersing teeth in soda, so although this does not show real-life drinking patterns, it does show that the longer soda is exposed to teeth, the more corrosion does occur. The authors of the study suggest drinking soda through a straw to mitigate any contact with your teeth – and that definately means no swishing.
    Finally, as you can tell, the pH of some sodas equals the pH of Vinegar! If that isn’t enough to turn your stomach, I don’t know what is!

http://quittingsoda.com/post/the-acidity-ph-of-soda-pop

Article reports that the woman drank two liters a day and kept the soda in her mouth-swishing it around. And hadn't been to see a dentist in 20 years.

The woman said concerns about weight gain led her to choose diet soda over regular, and admitted that she had not seen a dentist in many years, according to the study. She also associated sweetened beverages with a higher risk of tooth decay.

Her teeth were soft and discolored, with many destroyed by erosion. She usually sipped the beverage directly from a can or a bottle, and held the soda in her mouth before swallowing, Bassiouny said.
    "The woman referenced in this article did not receive dental health services for more than 20 years -- two-thirds of her life," the American Beverage Association said in a statement. "To single out diet soda consumption as the unique factor in her tooth decay and erosion -- and to compare it to that from illicit drug use -- is irresponsible.

"The body of available science does not support that beverages are a unique factor in causing tooth decay or erosion," the group said. "However, we do know that brushing and flossing our teeth, along with making regular visits to the dentist, play a very important role in preventing them."

Dr. Eugene Antenucci, spokesman for the Academy of General Dentistry, said he was not surprised by Bassiouny's findings.

"From my experience, the damage that happens to people's mouths from cocaine or methamphetamine are degrees greater than what I see from soda, but I see a lot of damage from soda," said Antenucci, a dentist in Huntington, N.Y.

Damage from excessive soda consumption can cause "very deep brown stains, where it's actually eroded into the tooth, and the teeth are soft and leathery," he said.

Prevention is the best cure, Bassiouny said. How often you drink soda, how much you drink and how long it's in your mouth all are important factors. "You can help prevent it from happening by reducing any of those," he said.
    There is no indication of if or how often she brushed her teeth.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-17-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Is there any feel good beverage left to drink other than plain boring water?
    Exactly what is it about water's life-sustaining, body and soul lubricating, and refreshing nourishment at the very cellular level that you find so boring?
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

I've read meth mouth isn't from the meth but bad dental habits.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Exactly what is it about water's life-sustaining, body and soul lubricating, and refreshing nourishment at the very cellular level that you find so boring?
    Really. Gee, can't someone suggest SOMETHING for me to breath besides plain boring air?

I guess if you just can't bear to drink something so pedestrian as water, you can tart it up a bit with some herb tea.
    Last edited by Acala; 08-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Really. Gee, can't someone suggest SOMETHING for me to breath besides plain boring air?
    try cigarettes. or meth

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    try cigarettes. or meth
    lol
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post

I guess I asked for this.

It's just that I drink a lot of water, 4-6 pint bottles everyday for years and wanted to add some flavor as great as this source of lif is.

Maybe the old saying ' "they never taste who always drink" applies to me. I'm pretty sure the second part "they always talk who never think" doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    It's just that I drink a lot of water, 4-6 pint bottles everyday for years and wanted to add some flavor as great as this source of lif is.
    Add a slice of lemon or other fruit to your water

It sounds weird but a few slices of cucumber in a pitcher of water makes it more refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Add a slice of lemon or other fruit to your water
    Tried that , it is pretty good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    It sounds weird but a few slices of cucumber in a pitcher of water makes it more refreshing.
    It does sound strange, but i will try it. Ever in quest to find the healthy drink.

Meth is approved by the FDA for treating ADD and obesity, diet soda isn't.

Meth 1 Diet Soda 0

Love water, but only ice cold. I keep half-filled bottles in the freezer and drink from those. On longer treks I have a 2/3 full frozen gallon jug to refill the smaller bottles. I only like lime or lemon in it on occasion, but I think the cucumber sounds interesting.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Love water, but only ice cold. I keep half-filled bottles in the freezer and drink from those. On longer treks I have a 2/3 full frozen gallon jug to refill the smaller bottles. I only like lime or lemon in it on occasion, but I think the cucumber sounds interesting.
    Very highly carbonated, ice cold water with a slice of lemon or a cucumber is delicious. Nothing better than that on a hot summer day...except beer.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Very highly carbonated, ice cold water with a slice of lemon or a cucumber is delicious. Nothing better than that on a hot summer day...except beer.
    I've tried a couple brands and haven't really liked any of them so far. Not worth the money to me since I drink a lot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I've tried a couple brands and haven't really liked any of them so far. Not worth the money to me since I drink a lot of it.
    Don't know how much carbonated water costs where you live, but for me it's the same price usually as normal bottled water, much cheaper than brands such as Evian.

You could also carbonate at home, the equipment isn't too expensive, especially in the long run.