Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rand votes to confirm Buttgigeig

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Ah, yes. South Bend. That was the place with the pothole problem. Dominoes even did a "Paving for Pizza" grant. Lol. Perfect pick for Transportation Dept. Lol.
    SMH. Yeah...that's pretty bad.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    ETA: And let's not forget the last transportation secretary was Mrs. Mitch McConnell!
    LOL. True!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Right? I mean, let's not forget that Trump put a brain surgeon in charge of Housing and Urban Development because of his skin color. No one questioned Carson's intellect, but it's not like the skills are transferable. In truth, you don't need many qualifications to serve as a political figurehead for a bureaucracy.
    Rand voted yay to Carson

ETA: And let's not forget the last transportation secretary was Mrs. Mitch McConnell!
    Rand voted yay to Chao

And Rick Perry
    And Sessions
    And Pompeo
    And... huh... all of Trump's cabinet nominations.

Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Rand voted yay to Carson

Rand voted yay to Chao

And Rick Perry
    And Sessions
    And Pompeo

Weird.
    Who are you arguing with???
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Who are you arguing with???
    I'm not arguing with anyone, just pointing out his voting record relevant to what you were saying and nominations in general.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

I'm not arguing with anyone, just pointing out his voting record relevant to what you were saying and nominations in general.
    Maybe go back and read post 17 instead of cherry picking.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I don't see the big deal here. It's a largely ceremonial position. Career non-political government employees make all the decisions and do the real work. Approving non-controversial opposing party appointees build you some political capital that you can cash in later.

Gotta pick your battles. This isn't one to go to the mat over.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Gotta pick your battles. This isn't one to go to the mat over.
    There was no battle. All he had to do was vote "no"
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I don't see the big deal here. It's a largely ceremonial position. Career non-political government employees make all the decisions and do the real work. Approving non-controversial opposing party appointees build you some political capital that you can cash in later.
    Are you kidding?

Yes what you wrote is true but what is also true is that these cabinet members have enormous power if they want to use it; especially the DOT.

This isn't a cush retirement job for Pete, the guy has ambition, so he will be flexing his muscles and pushing his agenda hard while he can.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Right? I mean, let's not forget that Trump put a brain surgeon in charge of Housing and Urban Development because of his skin color. No one questioned Carson's intellect, but it's not like the skills are transferable. In truth, you don't need many qualifications to serve as a political figurehead for a bureaucracy.

And, tell me what qualifications Monsieur Trump had to be POTUS?
    There is no spoon.

Rand voted yay to Carson

Rand voted yay to Chao

And Rick Perry
    And Sessions
    And Pompeo

Weird.
    I think it's not a bad tradition to just accept a nominee unless there are obvious integrity issues or similar issues. As I indicated in my previous post, it's good to know when to act and when not to. Politics is not about facts or logic, right?
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    And, tell me what qualifications Monsieur Trump had to be POTUS?
    Natural born citizen, over 35, living longer than 14y in the country. All he needed.
    Similarly, it should not matter that a brain surgeon is in charge of a certain government body. If it's the right person at the time for the job, that's all that matters. I turned out to be really good in something I never studied for, maybe a brain surgeon can also be a really good manager.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Natural born citizen, over 35, living longer than 14y in the country. All he needed.
    Similarly, it should not matter that a brain surgeon is in charge of a certain government body. If it's the right person at the time for the job, that's all that matters. I turned out to be really good in something I never studied for, maybe a brain surgeon can also be a really good manager.
    Or, in today's world, a manager can also be a really good brain surgeon.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    If you weren't bitching about every awful Trump pick in the past four years then you don't have legitimacy to bitch now. And I really don't care if you rebutt with some "TDS" bvllshyt response. Most of the people who voted against Bootyjudge would have voted for his equivalent if Trump had made the appointment. And I didn't hear your "Rand was working for the establishment" BS when Rand derailed the Trump impeachment.
    Obviously you did not read what I typed. Otherwise you would know that I believe Rand wants wants to play both sides. In the end, he will please none.

Quote Originally Posted by familydog View Post
    Obviously you did not read what I typed. Otherwise you would know that I believe Rand wants wants to play both sides. In the end, he will please none.
    Rand Paul pleases Constitutionalists like me. If Buttgig wants to screw up the DOT like he screwed up South Bend that's great. Maybe it'll become such a nuisance it gets closed down.

Fighting every appointment is stupid, and fighting appointments just because they're Democrats and you recognize their names is more stupid. Have you not noticed that liberals are turning on Pelosi and PETA? If now that their common orange enemy is gone they want to do some infighting, why distract them? Save the fights for situations where they try to further erode the Constitution. If Buttgig wants to go out of the closet and into the Cabinet, let him. His bureaucrats won't listen to him anyway.
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Rand Paul pleases Constitutionalists like me. If Buttgig wants to screw up the DOT like he screwed up South Bend that's great. Maybe it'll become such a nuisance it gets closed down.
    Uh no, they never close down a failed government program.

And the head of DOT is an immensely powerful position. They could bring the country to its knees. If it moves the DOT tries to regulate it. Just think about all of the potential ramifications of that.

Fighting every appointment is stupid
    He doesn't have to fight every appointment, he just has to vote no on the bad ones. And Pete was a bad appointment.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Uh no, they never close down a failed government program.
    You're funny. You've been here preaching go along to get along compromise for years, but when one of the only two principled people in the Senate does it, you try to rally his own forces against him.

You also talk out of your ass a lot. Ever hear of the Interstate Commerce Commission? Where is it now? Are you telling me it was a myth? When it was screwing up the American rail scene by choking private enterprise passenger rail service and screwing up every logical merger that would have led to a fiercely competitive, but efficient system, was it a figment of my imagination?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-05-2021 at 11:17 AM.

You're funny. You've been here preaching go along to get along compromise for years
    Uh no, not at all.

Ever hear of the Interstate Commerce Commission? Where is it now? Are you telling me it was a myth? When it was screwing up the American rail scene by choking private enterprise passenger rail service and screwing up every logical merger that would have led to a fiercely competitive, but efficient system, was it a figment of my imagination?
    Yes and now we have something much bigger and much worse.

Uh no, not at all.
    Uh, yes, very much so.

I can do this all day.

Yes and now we have something much bigger and much worse.
    Are you implying the destruction of the ICC led to the creation of the DOT?

Handy tip: If you want to distract everyone from the fact that what you said is patently untrue, don't do it by implying something which is ridiculously easy to disprove. We had the bigger and worse DOT for a couple of decades before the ICC made such asses of themselves they were finally disbanded.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 02-05-2021 at 01:15 PM.

The 2020 election was blatantly unconstitutional. Constitutionalists like Rand Paul just shrugged. They had every Constitutional right to object to what happened in Pennsylvania, for example, but chose to stay silent.

Fighting every appointment is stupid, and fighting appointments just because they're Democrats and you recognize their names is more stupid. Have you not noticed that liberals are turning on Pelosi and PETA? If now that their common orange enemy is gone they want to do some infighting, why distract them? Save the fights for situations where they try to further erode the Constitution. If Buttgig wants to go out of the closet and into the Cabinet, let him. His bureaucrats won't listen to him anyway.
    As stated by Matt, all Rand had to do was vote no. It would literally cost him nothing. Besides, Ron Paul fought or voted no on everything. Was he acting stupid in Congress?

In-fighting always increases when a side gains power. However, the left almost always sticks together in the end. I do not anticipate some great split.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12