Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump didn't need congressional approval because there was no declaration of war

Exclamation Trump didn't need congressional approval because there was no declaration of war

Such was the logic laid out by an acquaintance of mine tonight.

The points were two fold:

A - A flight of Tomahawk missiles was not an act of war.

B - Congress never declared war, so there was no war, therefore no Congressional approval was needed.

SMMFH
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-07-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ya, if Putin did it to us it would totally be war though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

It was a po-lice action!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

John Mcain said he could do it because of the 2001 AUMF.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

War Powers Act gives the POTUS 90 Days to start WW3 to conduct military exercises in a time sensitive situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

B - Congress never declared war, so there was no war, therefore no Congressional approval was needed.

SMMF
    Right. Striking another country with missiles and bombs isn't an act of war. That's why we stayed out of WWII, because Pearl Harbor was not an act of war.

We can't go to war unless Congress declares it, and it's not a war if Congress didn't declare it. It sounds like this guy just put an end to war by using circular logic. This is great, now we can blow things up whenever we want without the negativity associated with war.

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    We can't go to war unless Congress declares it, and it's not a war if Congress didn't declare it. It sounds like this guy just put an end to war by using circular logic. This is great, now we can blow things up whenever we want without the negativity associated with war.
    That's pretty much word for word what I told him.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    War Powers Act gives the POTUS 90 Days to start WW3 to conduct military exercises in a time sensitive situation.
    It provides that the U.S. President can send U.S. Armed Forces into action abroad only by declaration of war by Congress, "statutory authorization," or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces."

...In a national emergency following an attack on the country or territories. Which one was this?!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

It provides that the U.S. President can send U.S. Armed Forces into action abroad only by declaration of war by Congress, "statutory authorization," or in case of "a national emergency created by attack upon the United States, its territories or possessions, or its armed forces."
    Beat me to it by a second.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

SMMF
    There's always that gung ho attitude people get, think of it like when Trump was for Iraq- you know after we invaded and there was so much American pride because we were making the middle east safe for democracy and we were getting them back for hating us for our freedom and for 9/11 and we were going to take their oil to pay for the war. Then after we lost the war, we got rid of the fourth amendment- people started to hate the war and Trump was against it. I think the problem is not that Americans hate war, I think its the opposite. I think our culture loves wars like we're some great conquerors of the world, we just hate losing them even more.

Meet the new boss...

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    There's always that gung ho attitude people get, think of it like when Trump was for Iraq- you know after we invaded and there was so much American pride because we were making the middle east safe for democracy and we were getting them back for hating us for our freedom and for 9/11 and we were going to take their oil to pay for the war. Then after we lost the war, we got rid of the fourth amendment- people started to hate the war and Trump was against it. I think the problem is not that Americans hate war, I think its the opposite. I think our culture loves wars like we're some great conquerors of the world, we just hate losing them even more.

SMMFH
    So he wouldn't mind if someone fired a rocket into his living room?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    ...In a national emergency following an attack on the country or territories. Which one was this?!
    Someone killed a puppy in China and ate it for dinner tonight. Trump was very affected by the video. Fire some missiles into China, it's not an act of war.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Someone killed a puppy in China and ate it for dinner tonight. Trump was very affected by the video. Fire some missiles into China, it's not an act of war.
    If child safety was a paramount concern, Trump could fire cruise missiles into the Hollywood Hills.

<utter_bollocks>Under our "living" U.S. Constitution, were there are no boots on the ground, such is merely a defined 'kinetic action' and not an act of war--and this includes the usage of unmanned drones.</utter_bollocks>
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Ya, if Putin did it to us it would totally be war though.
    According to Dick Cheney the phony, Russia allegedly hacking the DNC and revealing to the world what Bernie Sanders already knew, which is that Hillary cheated, was an act of war.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Meet the new boss...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

Obama = Trump = Bush = Clinton

Don't you ever get sick of being right all the time? I do. It's like we got the Cassandra gene or something. (For those who don't know that was the Greek prophetess who was cursed that nobody would ever believe her prophecies until it was too late. Kind of like the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah.)

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

SMMFH
    What is actually an act of war?

If child safety was a paramount concern, Trump could fire cruise missiles into the Hollywood Hills.
    You are so cruel to the artists.

SMMFH
    Your acquaintance gets this.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

Obama = Trump = Bush = Clinton

Don't you ever get sick of being right all the time? I do. It's like we got the Cassandra gene or something. (For those who don't know that was the Greek prophetess who was cursed that nobody would ever believe her prophecies until it was too late. Kind of like the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah.)
    Also pretty much what I told him, after he dragged an opinion out of me and then started arguing about it:

"Why the hell did you ask then? You've known me for over twenty years, what do you suppose my answer was going to be? I'm tired of talking about it, tired of shouting about it, tired of marching about it, tired of writing about it, tired of voting about it, but most of all just tired of being right all the time, and having to listen to and watch the nonsense unfolding all around me, utterly helpless to do a damn thing about it because nobody $#@!ing cares and nobody will pull their heads out their asses long enough to clean the $#@! out of their ears and $#@!ing listen! Trump outraged that he was placed under surveillance during the campaign? Assenholes! We warned you this was going to happen. The man Trump wants executed warned you this would happen! Why did Trump say in 2013 that ObombYa needed Congressional approval prior to bombing Syria? Because he does! $#@!! And here we go round and round again....$#@! me, I don't care any more."

This is so much fun, I cannot wait until 90% of the world's population is incinerated in a thermonuclear... non-declared police action. Good times!
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

It's usually a lot easier to get approval after you're already 50% through it with no going back anyway.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    It's usually a lot easier to get approval after you're already 50% through it with no going back anyway.
    There is no going back on this with Russia, the "fog of the election" was lifted. Is what the Russians said- a military clash with Russia in Syria is now inevitable, and Trump is not going to go to congress.

SMMFH
    Sounds like the same discussion I had yesterday with a co-worker. After we finished talking I punched him in the face, when he tried to punch me back I told to stop because we weren't in a fight. Angrily he said we were in a fight because I punched him. I told him he's wrong because I never declared we were in a fight as I punched him so we weren't in a fight, just like he said dropping bombs on a foreign military base "isn't a war."

Okay, I didn't punch my co-worker but I did state my analogy to him but he still insisted what Trump did wasn't an act of war thus didn't need to be declared by Congress.

- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    Sounds like the same discussion I had yesterday with a co-worker. After we finished talking I punched him in the face, when he tried to punch me back I told to stop because we weren't in a fight. Angrily he said we were in a fight because I punched him. I told him he's wrong because I never declared we were in a fight as I punched him so we weren't in a fight, just like he said dropping bombs on a foreign military base "isn't a war."

Okay, I didn't punch my co-worker but I did state my analogy to him but he still insisted what Trump did wasn't an act of war thus didn't need to be declared by Congress.

- ML
    Well, let's be honest. We had the best intentions. That should count for something, shouldn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast