Thread: How Complaining Is Literally Killing You & Making You Sick ( Here's How To Srop)

How Complaining Is Literally Killing You & Making You Sick ( Here's How To Srop)

HOW COMPLAINING IS LITERALLY KILLING YOU & MAKING YOU SICK. (HERE’S HOW TO STOP)

SHARMINI GANA DECEMBER 1, 2017

We all do it — you know, complain about people or situations in our life. We may even call it “venting” in an effort to disguise our complaining, but when it all boils down to it, they’re both the same behaviour.

On the surface, complaining may seem harmless — perhaps even helpful, as venting may make us feel better — but complaining can have serious physical and mental ramifications.

Society itself seems to encourage complaining — we complain about work and being overworked, we complain about lack of time and being too busy to enjoy life, we complain about politics (a favourite past- and present- time activity for many), we complain about family members and issues, we complain about lack of sleep and feeling exhausted, and we love to complain when we get sick— the list goes on and on….

Even if we ourselves don’t complain much (or so we think, though I hope this article makes you take a hard, honest look at your own habits, as it did for me), we all know of people who incessantly complain and how draining it is to be around these “negative Nellies.”

So, how does complaining affect us? From a brain perspective, “synapses that wire together fire together” — this is a basic premise of neuroscience. Every time you complain, you are reinforcing that wiring and making it easier to trigger it. Do it often enough and it can become your default setting. Negative thoughts beget more negative thoughts and you can easily fall into a cycle of negative thinking and chronic complaining.

In addition, misery loves company, so complainers tend to have friends who also complain, which further reinforces the pattern. Complainers also affect people around them. Ever find yourself sympathizing and sharing your own personal similar experience when someone complains to you about something specific? It can happen easily and unintentionally, even to the least complaining and most positive person. Sometimes this can lead to a long conversation comprising entirely of complaints, ie. focused on politics in a negative way or the fear and anger of what is going on in the world. Ask yourself, how do you feel afterwards?

Prolonged complaining leads to stress, and it’s well documented that prolonged stress makes us sick: weakening the immune system, raising blood pressure, increasing the risk of heart disease, obesity, and diabetes, and causing a plethora of other ailments.

Scientists have known for years that elevated cortisol levels (the stress hormone) interfere with learning and memory, lower immune function and bone density, promote weight gain and heart disease, and increase blood pressure and cholesterol. Chronic stress and elevated cortisol levels also increase risk for depression and mental illness, and lower life expectancy.

How To Stop Complaining

Being human, however, we may need to vent once in a while, so here are some tips to help you avoid over-complaining:

Take time out to cool off and step back from whatever is bothering you so you can diffuse your emotions/anger. Try some deep breathing, go for a walk in nature, hit the gym, meditate, or do something fun or relaxing to calm yourself.

Write down what is bothering you — writing helps us to better understand why we are upset and can help us see the situation with a more balanced perspective.

Take responsibility for your part in the situation; don’t just blame the other person as the wrongdoer. What is the learning for you? What is this situation teaching you? Introspection is helpful for finding balance and being open to a solution or determining if it’s best to let it go at this time.

If you need to vent, let the Listener know ahead of time, so they can prepare themselves or let you know that now is not a good time.

Keep it short — this is very important, as we humans tend to go into stories when we moan and groan. It’s best to keep your share to under 2 minutes to avoid drama and dumping. Ask your Listener to intervene and gently yet firmly stop you if you go past the 2 minutes — you will both be thankful.

Remember that complaining affects your energy, mood, brain activity, and stress levels. If you need to vent, keep it short and sweet, for everyone’s sake — especially your own.

Sources

http://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/...ence-says.html
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...lic-enemy-no-1
    http://psychpedia.blogspot.ca/2015/1...iness-why.html
    http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/stress-body.aspx
    http://www.collective-evolution.com/...zen.yandex.com
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Complaining is a defense mechanism we developed to shift responsibility for mishaps in our lives onto others.

When you are negative all the time, you bring negativity around you like a cloud of dirt that surrounds Pig Pen.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    When you are negative all the time, you bring negativity around you like a cloud of dirt that surrounds Pig Pen.

Thank you. I could not agree more.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries

I've been look for a pdf of that for a while.

This thread sucks.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    This thread sucks.
    Maybe it's not the thread that sucks?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This thread sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Maybe it's not the thread that sucks?
    -rep
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

What are you doing up so late? Shouldn’t you be washing sailor boy’s dirty bloody underwear?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

What are you doing up so late? Shouldn’t you be washing sailor boy’s dirty bloody underwear?

You know what grinds my gears...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You know what grinds my gears...

Automated vehicles?
    Cops?

Automated vehicles?
    Cops?
    Everything!

Automated vehicles?
    Cops?
    Among other things, yes.

But what really grinds my gears is being told not to worry and complain, by people who have nothing to worry and complain about, because I worry and complain about making things right.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sex medically has been proved to reduce stress, worry and negativity.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.XrhoPYeco_g

Of course, reading through those articles, half are devoted to woemen and their hamster wheels of petty worries that $#@! up sex for them.

OK, three things:

A - No underwear. I go commando 24/7. Nothing says freedom like an unfurnished basement.

B - I do my own laundry on the vessel. We have proper washing machines onboard, not an eco friendly hi tech "dirtier" like I have at home.

C - Daily sanitary routines prevent "embarrassment". Didn't they teach that at the Air Farce Academy?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Yep!

Sex medically has been proved to reduce stress, worry and negativity.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.XrhoPYeco_g

Of course, reading through those articles, half are devoted to woemen and their hamster wheels of petty worries that $#@! up sex for them.
    Fo sho!

Women are their own worst enemies when it comes to enjoying sex. I have to admit, it's hard to stop the hamster wheel but once you do, it's very relaxing. People need to relax more.

Also, if you're having a lot of sex, you fight less. Sometimes, it's hard for me to forgive and forget but my vagina is pretty good at it. As a matter of fact, we got into an argument back in October and I held out for almost a week. I wasn't finished being mad but my vagina was and I just gave up because it's really not effective to be mad AND still having sex with with him. Plus, I could tell he was sorry because he made me some shrimp the way I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Yep! Fo sho! Women are their own worst enemies when it comes to enjoying sex. I have to admit, it's hard to stop the hamster wheel but once you do, it's very relaxing. People need to relax more.Also, if you're having a lot of sex, you fight less. Sometimes, it's hard for me to forgive and forget but my vagina is pretty good at it. As a matter of fact, we got into an argument back in October and I held out for almost a week. I wasn't finished being mad but my vagina was and I just gave up because it's really not effective to be mad AND still having sex with with him. Plus, I could tell he was sorry because he made me some shrimp the way I like them.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

He has totally nailed my favorite dish - Whiskey Shrimp at Oyster Bay. http://www.oysterbayseafoodcafe.com/

He doesn't really care for the shrimp but I let him have my sauce soaked bread.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

He has totally nailed my favorite dish - Whiskey Shrimp at Oyster Bay. http://www.oysterbayseafoodcafe.com/

He doesn't really care for the shrimp but I let him have my sauce soaked bread.
    I had dialed in a shrimp saltimbocca recipe that I had one time only at a little hole in the wall Italian place in Morehead City NC.

Made it once or twice for Mrs. AF years ago, but don't bother anymore as she no longer eats shrimp or prosciutto.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-03-2017 at 11:09 PM.

///
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 12-03-2017 at 11:09 PM.

I had dialed in a shrimp saltimbocca recipe that I had one time only at a little hole in the wall Italian place in Morehead City NC.

Made it once or twice for Mrs. AF years ago, but don't both anymore as she no longer eats shrimp or prosciutto.
    Name?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As far as complaining goes I've known, and know, some damn fine and old curmudgeons. Never seemed to bother them a wit. don't think it will me.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Name?
    $#@!, wish I could recall...it was something simple like "Casa Romano" or "Italiano".

This was well over twenty years ago now.

I say it was a hole in the wall because it was, at one point, a residential home, converted to a small restaurant.

On the north side of the main drag, there in Morehead City, about two or three blocks down from the City Marina.

Stunningly good food for where and what this place was.

I'm gonna have to try that.

Made it once or twice for Mrs. AF years ago, but don't bother anymore as she no longer eats shrimp or prosciutto.
    Shrimp and salted cured meats are my favorite food groups and when they're in one dish...OMG. I have to give her props for giving those up. That had to be tough.

I'm gonna have to try that.
    This was pretty close:

http://www.closetcooking.com/2013/11...bocca.html?m=1