Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand not pro marijuana?wth?

Rand not pro marijuana?wth?

"If I thought it would allow marijuana to take off in our state I wouldn't be for it"

"we don't want that to happen"

WTH? I'm really starting to change my mind about him.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand doesn't endorse marijuana but that has nothing to do with his views on decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level.

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/US_Senat...na_legislation

http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/21/ra...uld-be-free-to

Paul himself does not favor legalizing marijuana, but he says individual states—such as Washington and Colorado, which both voted to legalize in November—should be allowed to make marijuana legal.

"States should be allowed to make a lot of these decisions," Paul says. "I want things to be decided more at a local basis, with more compassion. I think it would make us as Republicans different."

Rand wants to win the GOP primary in 2016. Rand smoked plenty of cannabis in college, and while I can't tell you what his personal views actually are now and if those differ from the views he expresses to his wife or his family, he doesn't care if you use it in your own private residence and deep down he is probably much more libertarian on the issue than he will be making himself out to be in the next few years, so be prepared.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This was a state committee meeting, and his point was he is not pushing them to legalize it. The Kentucky State Police are claiming "hemp helps marijuana" as the primary argument against the bill, and he is defusing that. As Tsai points out, he's for states making their own decisions.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

It might help him win the GOP primary in 2016, but I don't think it's worth it if he becomes another Generic Republicantm and loses to a Democrat that isn't sliding to the right on issues that aren't terribly strong, even if he is secretly awesome after all.
    для каждого злодея есть герой

I think he's basically just trying to fight one battle at a time, and if he comes across like a big advocate for legalizing marijuana it might hurt his effort to legalize hemp, because certain people might think he has ulterior motives for wanting to legalize hemp. It seems like he was basically just conceding the marijuana issue in this hearing in order to address the concerns that police officers have and push for the legalization of hemp. At least that's what I got from it. I think deep down Rand is probably more libertarian on these issues than he lets on, but he just thinks that he can't take it too far if he wants a shot at the GOP nomination in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Rand smoked plenty of cannabis in college
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    Source?
    The media came out with the AquaBuddha story and tried to spin it like they had kidnapped this girl and tried to force her to take drugs. The woman even commented later that it wasn't anything like that, it was just a college prank. In other words, it happened like she described it, but she was playing along so it wasn't kidnapping, she could have left any time if she really wanted to. She never took drugs, so obviously he didn't force her to take drugs. Rand himself denied kidnapping anybody and forcing anybody to take drugs, he did not deny participating in these types of college pranks. There is no reason to believe that the woman's story was completely fabricated, and in the story all of the guys were smoking bongloads during the prank and they were trying to get her to take bongloads. AquaBuddha is a reference to smoking bongloads.

Although I don't think there is any hard proof that he did it, if you need hard proof for everything in life then you probably won't ever get the big picture.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-13-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's a Senator. Senators represent their constituents. An interesting case study is our own Glen Bradley. In N.C. we had Amendment One to keep gays from marrying. Glen opposed it because he didn't feel the government has a role in marriage. However, his vote reflected his constituents. Don't like what Rand is doing then get his base to support legalization.
    Politicians aren't elected to "go their own way" after election. They are elected to do what their constituents wish.
    If you are from KY then let him know your views. Every email and phone call counts. It's the only way a politician knows what "the people" want.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 02-13-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Dude... there is already a thread for this in Rand Paul's sub forum... where this belongs.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

This was about legalizing hemp, not marijuana. Rand was simply diffusing the argument used against hemp. As far as marijuana goes I would imagine his position is similar to Ron's in that he would leave it up to the states, that doesn't mean either endorse it.

ZOMG! This is terrible! What's next? Are we gonna find out Rand is not pro-prostitution?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Drugs are a freedom of religion issue not a states rights issue.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

weed is a minor issue compared to economy and the wars at the current moment.

doesnt particularly bother me, although id like to see weed addressed later on.

I think Rand realizes how important hemp is. It woulf create many new jobs.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    weed is a minor issue compared to economy and the wars at the current moment.

doesnt particularly bother me, although id like to see weed addressed later on.
    Weed is also a major issue because our per capita prison population is the highest in the world and most of our prisoners are non-violent drug offenders with a roof over their head and a 3 square on uncle sam subsidies to the tune of 30-50k per head to the private prison industrial complex not to mention federal subsidies to the drug war. If the economy is important to you, then the billions we spend keeping pot heads in prison should be important to you and the billions we spend fighting the "war on drugs" should bother you.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

"Weed is also a major issue because our per capita prison population is the highest in the world and most of our prisoners are non-violent drug offenders with a roof over their head and a 3 square on uncle sam subsidies to the tune of 30-50k per head to the private prison industrial complex not to mention federal subsidies to the drug war. If the economy is important to you, then the billions we spend keeping pot heads in prison should be important to you and the billions we spend fighting the "war on drugs" should bother you."

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    Bunch of goddamn hippies all of you.

Slutter McGee
    Right...., because we don't believe a person should be harassed, imprisoned, fined, extorted, and made a criminal because the State said so when in fact, there are no victims and self-propriety is an inviolable principle and right. So, yeah, if that makes us Hippies, I'm proud to be one! Rand on the other hand seems to think it's fine for the State to kidnap, cage, and steal from people all because they decided to use their body in a manner in which some uppity puritanical douchebags didn't like. Wow, he is so great!
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Rand has said that the states should have the right to legalize marijuana, which should really be all that matters since Rand will likely be running for President, not Governor of a state. It's not necessary for him to make the case for outright legalization of drugs. I support that, but most Americans aren't at that point yet, and certainly not most Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Rand has said that the states should have the right to legalize marijuana, which should really be all that matters since Rand will likely be running for President, not Governor of a state. It's not necessary for him to make the case for outright legalization of drugs. I support that, but most Americans aren't at that point yet, and certainly not most Republicans.
    If you never take a stand on principle and simply float in the wind of public opinion you're no different than the other 500 establishment hacks that continuously pillage, loot, enslave, and imprison us. President is the best marketing position in the U.S. If you're not using it to its full extent what is the point of getting there. It would be like if some Progressive ended up winning the Presidency, but never making a peep about progressive issues and policy, and even taking opposite stands because 'most american's aren't there yet'. That's why you make the case and persuade folks especially when you have such a large arena to do so! In any event, I don't expect him to make an outright case for it, but when asked questions don't give a completely anti-libertarian answer just to placate the tyrannical views of some bull$#@! puritans.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui męme

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

LOL. To the OP, you want Rand to undo the progress he's made on even getting Mitch McConnell to go along with legalizing hemp by saying "Oh by the way, next we need to legalize marijuana?" I don't like the way Rand does everything he does, but this is a good move. One of the most important thing to educate people on WRT hemp is that you can't actually get high off of it.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    LOL. To the OP, you want Rand to undo the progress he's made on even getting Mitch McConnell to go along with legalizing hemp by saying "Oh by the way, next we need to legalize marijuana?"
    YES! He should also tear off his suit revealing a t-shirt with a big picture of Ron and yell "RON PAUL R3VOLUTION!" and proceed to light one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    ZOMG! This is terrible! What's next? Are we gonna find out Rand is not pro-prostitution?
    You don't have to be 'pro'-prostitution to be pro-Liberty. I'm sure you know this, though.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Weed is also a major issue because our per capita prison population is the highest in the world and most of our prisoners are non-violent drug offenders with a roof over their head and a 3 square on uncle sam subsidies to the tune of 30-50k per head to the private prison industrial complex not to mention federal subsidies to the drug war. If the economy is important to you, then the billions we spend keeping pot heads in prison should be important to you and the billions we spend fighting the "war on drugs" should bother you.
    Amen. That is the type of discussion that needs to get more mainstream. (especially WRT the prison industrial complex and slave labor) I do like that Rand Paul is behind the push to legalize hemp. (It should be common sense for every member of Congress but I appreciate him taking the time to spoon feed them- not that I'd doubt some powers that be are behind why hemp was made illegal in the first place, and have 'swayed' [bought] some votes against this effort.)
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    I'm sure he'll lose dannno's support if he doesn't support marijuana and prostitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    I'm sure he'll lose dannno's support if he doesn't support marijuana and prostitution.
    This is not about supporting prostitution and marijuana. Quit being so obtuse.

It's all political posturing.

a Rand Paul administration would not see federal interference in the state rights in California or Colorado etc
    as being in the purview of the federal government.

Enjoy . . .

decriminalizing pot is not an obtuse political posture to take these days, particularly if you dangle the "tax revenue" cherry out there for republicans to drool over.

i'd have preferred that marijuana mention to sound more freedom-centric, but I can only imagine the audience he had in Kentucky

bongloads?
    Last edited by surf; 02-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast