Thread: Where can I learn more about Austrian Economics?

Where can I learn more about Austrian Economics?

Are there any podcasts, apps, or programs on iTunes U which offer education relating to Austrian Economics that someone would suggest please? It needs to be in audio format as I travel a long trip for work and use that time for education. Thank you to anyone who can help

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't use itunes, so I don't know how Mises Institute's iTunes selections are. But these are the Mises.org rss feeds:

Mises University
    Austrian Economics Research Conference
    Austrian Scholars Conference
    Courses on Economics
    Courses on History
    Fiscal Theory
    Lecture Series
    Mises Audio Books
    Mises Circle Seminars
    Other Schools of Thought

I use an rss reader app to subscribe and listen to them.
    Last edited by Nolan; 11-08-2015 at 11:47 PM.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...135066958?mt=2

EconTalk

By EconTalk: Russ Roberts, Library of Economics and Liberty

Description

EconTalk is an award-winning weekly talk show about economics in daily life. Featured guests include renowned economics professors, Nobel Prize winners, and exciting speakers on all kinds of topical matters related to economic thought. Topics include health care, business cycles, economic growth, free trade, education, finance, politics, sports, book reviews, parenting, and the curiosities of everyday decision-making. Russ Roberts, of the Library of Economics and Liberty (econlib.org) and George Mason U., draws you in with lively guests and creative repartee. Look for related readings and the complete archive of previous shows at EconTalk.org, where you can also comment on the podcasts and ask questions.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/econtalk/id135066958?mt=2

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I don't use itunes, so I don't know how Mises Institute's iTunes selections are. But these are the Mises.org rss feeds:

Mises University
    Austrian Economics Research Conference
    Austrian Scholars Conference
    Courses on Economics
    Courses on History
    Fiscal Theory
    Lecture Series
    Mises Audio Books
    Mises Circle Seminars
    Other Schools of Thought

I use an rss reader app to subscribe and listen to them.
    great thank you. which rss app do you use?
    are these all essay/papers being read by someone?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    great thank you. which rss app do you use?
    are these all essay/papers being read by someone?
    They are mostly speeches from many great Austrian economists. The Mises University have their summer program on there, which is in a class setting so it's great for learning if that's what you're looking for.

I'm using an app called DoggCatcher on Android phone to subscribe to those feeds. I don't know the equivalent for iPhone if that's what you're using. But should be a easy task of searching for podcast app from their app store.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    They are mostly speeches from many great Austrian economists. The Mises University have their summer program on there, which is in a class setting so it's great for learning if that's what you're looking for.

I'm using an app called DoggCatcher on Android phone to subscribe to those feeds. I don't know the equivalent for iPhone if that's what you're using. But should be a easy task of searching for podcast app from their app store.
    wonderful, thank you.
    which one is the summer program: Courses on Economics, or the Lecture Series or something else?

wonderful, thank you.
    which one is the summer program: Courses on Economics, or the Lecture Series or something else?
    It's in the main feed "Mises University". It's just a couple items down and there are at least 30 lectures from last summer.

I also suggest an app call Feedly. It's available for iOS. Feedly have those feeds archived, so you can literally browse all of the lectures from the last several years.
    Last edited by Nolan; 11-11-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Here's a list of all the lectures from this year's Mises University (from four months ago): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-25-July-2015)

There are links to both Youtube videos and MP3 audio files.

If you are a beginner at Austrian economics, you may be especially interested in the "Mises Boot Camp" selections from the last day of this year's Mises U (they're included in the links mentioned above).

There are lots (and I do mean LOTS) of this kind of thing at mises.org (including readings of essays, books, etc.).
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Read "Human Action", you will get much more than you really want to know. Free PDF is available online.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    How are you not listening to Tom Woods daily podcast?

Meanwhile: https://soundcloud.com/odinsfleshlig...ises-boot-camp

I am. He is the main person to peek my interest. But I wish to more specifically dive into Austrian Economics.
    thanks for your link, i started listening and am enjoying it
    Last edited by TommyJeff; 11-12-2015 at 10:31 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

A good website despite being anti-theonomic... but at least they are fair.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

www.mises.org, as others have suggested

Fundamentals of Economic Analysis: A Causal Realist Approach (10-part lecture series) would be an excellent start.

Podcasts I enjoy:
    Tom Woods and Bob Murphy's Podcast - Contra Krugman (Only Weekly)
    Part of the Problem - Dave Smith (Weekly - Humorous approach to the Austrian/Libertarian Position)
    Jason Stapleton - More of a minarchist than a An-Cap but is enjoyable to listen to

Or you could do the smart thing and not limit yourself to Austrian Economics. Models are fun. Math is fun. Why not use them? Taking steps outside of the Austrian Economics realm does not make one a statist or non-libertarian.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    Or you could do the smart thing and not limit yourself to Austrian Economics. Models are fun. Math is fun. Why not use them? Taking steps outside of the Austrian Economics realm does not make one a statist or non-libertarian.
    Models and math may be fun, but Austrians don't reject them because they're "statist" or "non-libertarian." If you want to understand things in terms of mathematical models, study physics or some other field that doesn't involve human action as a fundamental factor. At least then, your tools might actually be useful for what you're tyring to do ...

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee
    While I don't have a problem with those things, austrian economics are a truly fantastic and accessible introduction to a very high level of economic understanding, and second to none on capital theory and monetary policy. Most schools of economics don't even bother reaching the lay person in any depth.
    Carthago Delenda Est

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.