Thread: Loophole could allow double voting in California Primary Election

Loophole could allow double voting in California Primary Election

There is a loophole that potentially allows California voters to cast two ballots and some local elections officials say that they are powerless to stop it. Hundreds of voters have attempted to vote more than once because the state’s automated system sends a new vote-by-mail ballot if personal information or party preference changes.
    The issue has gone largely unaddressed for nearly four years, opening the door to potential voter fraud. The California Secretary of State has ignored calls to fix the flaw, leaving the responsibility up to counties to police thousands of votes.

“I do not trust this state and the voting practices,” Alameda County resident Rene McClure said. “I was anticipating it and it happened.”
    Like many California voters, McClure wanted the ease of voting from her home but Alameda County Elections sent her a second vote-by-mail ballot after she applied for a California Real I.D., changed the spelling of her name and changed her political party preference.
    “They’re counting me as two people,” she said.
    Election safeguards are supposed to stop or flag the original ballot, but it’s hard to catch because the state gives voters the choice to vote-by-mail or at the polls and switch between the two. It’s increasingly murky during a primary election when nonpartisan voters are allowed to obtain a partisan ballot, if they ask for one.
    “The unintended consequence of that is there are a lot of ballots floating around out there,” Contra Costa County’s assistant registrar Scott Konopasek said.
    Those extra ballots allow someone to mail-in one of their ballots and then surrender the blank ballot at the polls and cast a second vote on Election Day. Poll workers can see who received a vote-by-mail ballot but have no idea if it has been counted or if a voter received more than one.
    In the 2016 primary, Contra Costa County crosschecked Election Day voters with mail-in ballots and discovered 113 cases of double voting. Public records requests show Santa Clara County found 76 and Marin County about 19 votes counted twice. Other counties were either slow to respond or found similar problems long after Election Day was over.
    “However remote the possibility is, it is possible. And because you know it’s possible, you have to check.” Konopasek said. “It’s a vulnerability that could easily be closed.”
    County elections officials pushed for a fix after the 2016 election, suggesting anyone who brings a mail-in ballot to the polls on Election Day vote provisionally. That means those votes would be set aside, checked, their eligibility verified, and then counted after Election Day.
    However, Secretary of State Alex Padilla said that it’s against the law and told KTVU he stands behind the open process.
    “The first one that comes back is the one that gets counted,” Padilla said. “That same voter tries to return another ballot by mail or in person, that second one’s not going to get counted, only the first.”
    But that’s not entirely true. KTVU found some slip through the cracks without an easy way for poll workers to verify if a vote-by-mail ballot has been received and counted.

More at: https://www.ktvu.com/news/loophole-c...imary-election
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    in b4 zip tells us that...oh, wait
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It's a nice feeling, isn't it?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It seems that by default, they are trying to send out as many ballots as possible. Every registered voter gets one in the mail, and they can also go to a polling place and vote a second time. Democrats believe it is to their advantage, and they are probably right.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It's a nice feeling, isn't it?
    refreshing
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

It will be a record ballot harvest this year!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The talking point for today is that 73 double votes were discovered in 2016 in the county with the biggest problem. Sorry, not gonna bother with graphics.

Of course this would only be possible in a state like California.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So ... people can vote harder in California than they can anywhere else in America ...

As @TheTexan would ask: How is that a problem?

Shouldn't every state be doing it like this?
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 02-25-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    So ... people can vote harder in California than they can anywhere else in America ...

As @TheTexan would ask: How is that a problem?

Shouldn't every state be doing it like this?
    +rep
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his