Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If you look close Pete, it looks to me like they are still, to this day, using Amal slide valve carbs.

It's a shame they swapped the gear/rear brake around to the "right" sides, and the water cooling I don't care for, but it's still a sweet ride.
    no sir those "carbs" are throttle bodies, that monster twin is fuel injected. I rode one of the thruxtons a few month ago, great motor, wheelies were easy, I think they all have the 270 degree crank now, no more classic Bonnie sound.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh yeah, that one speaks to me..."Rat Bike" vibe, no visible oil tank, no battery, Morris Magneto ignition.

Tough is right...tough as steel balls.
    'You might get tired of the oil on your leg, but that never kept me off my bosses flathead any chance I got.

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    no sir those "carbs" are throttle bodies, that monster twin is fuel injected. I rode one of the thruxtons a few month ago, great motor, wheelies were easy, I think they all have the 270 degree crank now, no more classic Bonnie sound.
    Aha yeah I should have known that.

And they opposed the pistons?

ETA - Help me out here, it's been so long I'm trying to recall without Screwgling...

The British horizontal twins all used a parallel crank and piston configuration: meaning that both pistons traveled up and down at the same time, Norton, BSA, Triumph...but some fired at the same time, Norton comes to mind, but the Triumph's fired opposed, one piston would be the top of the exhaust stroke and the other at the top of the compression/ignition stroke.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    You couldn't pay me to take anything 150 or 200cc onto a California freeway.

If traffic is 100% stopped you'd be fine, but if it's flowing - especially off and on - you'd never ever keep up with traffic. You'd create a hazard.

Edit: Let me explain. That 200cc scooter, for example, has 15 hp and 11 ft/lb of torque. It weighs 297 pounds dry. Let's be generous and say that you, all your gear, whatever's in your top box, and all fluids in the bike combined weigh 203 pounds total. That puts the total weight at 500 pounds.

That's 33.3 pounds per horsepower. Even the very $#@!tiest econobox of a car is a rocketship compared to that scooter.

The Smart Fortwo, which is a pile of garbage masquerading as a car, has 23.0 pounds per horsepower. It, one of the slowest cars you can buy, is 1/3rd more powerful than that scooter.

The Mitsubishi Mirage, which is evidently the very slowest car you can buy in the United States and takes 12.8 seconds to get from 0 to 60 mph has 29 lbs per horsepower and is therefore still more than 10% faster than that scooter.

Not only that, those cars have multiple gears with which to use that horsepower. You, with one gear from 0 to 60-whatever, will be the absolute slowest thing on the freeway. In my opinion, that is a dangerous situation for anyone on two wheels.

In contrast, a 300cc bike like the Ninja 300 or CB300F make 25-30 hp but weigh the same-ish. The Rebel 300 makes 25-ish hp but weighs a hundred pounds more. They're fully twice as fast as the scooter... and still considered 'too slow' for the freeway by some. Those bikes are about as fast as a normal car. 500cc bikes are in the 40-ish hp realm.

Hold on a second... what you say may be true about a gy6 150cc clone, but a real 200 or 250 cc scoot will have no trouble out accelerating traffic. It's not a single speed, it's a continuously variable transmission which means it's always in the power band and it always goes, just like my snow machine. A good 250 scooter can hit 80 mph, no more acceleration left there, but it will pull hard off the line faster then a $#@!box, same for the 200 although make the top speed 65-70 with no more acceleration. A 150 can't get past 55 or so but it will still pull harder then most $#@!boxes off the line. I've had one of those 650 silver wings up to 110+ I would say any 250-450 scooter would make an excellent highway cruiser and they would pull from traffic every time and they have plenty of storage for beer, a top case is fine. I could easily cruise 70 mph on the kymco people 250, I don't think the kymco with the 150+ cc gy6 would be worth much, though the classic air cooled 150 cc kymco motored people was a great machine for everything but highway. I've ridden two hours on the highway with a italjet torpedo 125 with the piaggio motor, it was doing 55-60 the whole time.

Now a italjet formula 125 is a twin cylinder two stroke and it will fly right up to 75...
    Last edited by afwjam; 05-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Aha yeah I should have known that.

And they opposed the pistons?

ETA - Help me out here, it's been so long I'm trying to recall without Screwgling...

The British horizontal twins all used a parallel crank and piston configuration: meaning that both pistons traveled up and down at the same time, Norton, BSA, Triumph...but some fired at the same time, Norton comes to mind, but the Triumph's fired opposed, one piston would be the top of the exhaust stroke and the other at the top of the compression/ignition stroke.
    Yes you are right, classic bonnie is a 360 degree crank, sounded even and very rythmic. The first new older generation thruxton and scrambler introduced the 270 crank and now I believe all the 1200 motors are 270, more of a staccato sound. 270 brings the torque curve down in the rev range, better motor really, just don't sound right.
    Last edited by afwjam; 05-10-2017 at 01:03 PM.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So...2006 HD Softail, 10,000 miles, last year with carb, asking $8200.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    lol. Yeah, I know. I just been one seatin it too long, man. lolol.
    A Charlie Papa would solve the problem.

So...2006 HD Softail, 10,000 miles, last year with carb, asking $8200.
    Get the Victory...

If you look close Pete, it looks to me like they are still, to this day, using Amal slide valve carbs.
    It's a twin throttle body system which has been intentionally shaped to look like carbs. They're all fuel injected.

Edit: Hadn't refreshed my page to see that it'd been mentioned already.
    Last edited by TheCount; 05-10-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

It's a twin throttle body system which has been intentionally shaped to look like carbs. They're all fuel injected.
    Yeah that was already pointed out...I forgot I was looking at a 2017

Yeah that was already pointed out...I forgot I was looking at a 2017
    Yeah, I was working on a day-old version of the page.

I don't really understand it, to be honest. I know that "heritage" is the hipster thing right now, but I'm not a fan of something pretending to be something that it's not. Tacking on some carb-shaped plastic is worse, in my opinion, than just leaving the throttle bodies looking like throttle bodies.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Yeah, I was working on a day-old version of the page.

I don't really understand it, to be honest. I know that "heritage" is the hipster thing right now, but I'm not a fan of something pretending to be something that it's not. Tacking on some carb-shaped plastic is worse, in my opinion, than just leaving the throttle bodies looking like throttle bodies.
    Be nice if you could get the real thing, but we cannot, because Uncle.

Off topic, but, if you ever wondered, here's how "surface piercing propellers work".

Also how you go fast on the water.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Was in one of these...

Off topic, but, if you ever wondered, here's how "surface piercing propellers work".

Also how you go fast on the water.

Very cool! I've never seen one of those.

heres a Boston whaler with a 30 hp merc I helped fix up for my buddy Tom in the past year before his passing last month from the cancer.

Very cool! I've never seen one of those.

heres a Boston whaler with a 30 hp merc I helped fix up for my buddy Tom in the past year before his passing last month from the cancer.

Sorry to hear about your buddy...looks like it's running nice.

Sorry to hear about your buddy...looks like it's running nice.
    He was a good man and I'll miss him and his knowledge.
    ran like a peach after a new stator and a carb rebuild.

I'm a sucker for big mercury outboard two strokes, better yet four of them.

of course the big v8s in the seven marines sound good for a four stroke...
    Last edited by afwjam; 05-10-2017 at 06:24 PM.

I'm a sucker for big mercury outboard two strokes, better yet four of them.
    Oh hell yeah...used to run towboats with 200 HP souped up "Black Max" engines making about 225 hp.

Primary fast response vessel was a customized 28 ft Parker with three of them.

With full gear, salvage equipment and crew I could air it out to 50 knots.

I miss go fast boating...used to know these Team Apache guys, in a passing way, I've run an Apache and raced a season in a Reggie Fountain about 20 years ago now.

That's offshore racing...rough, stand up, and on the edge.

As long as we're daydreaming here...I've always wanted to get my hands on on of these, a Baja 24.

Simple, single engine, good for about 80 mph which is plenty fast enough for me at my age now.

Oh hell yeah...used to run towboats with 200 HP souped up "Black Max" engines making about 225 hp.

I miss go fast boating...used to know these Team Apache guys, in a passing way, I've run an Apache and raced a season in a Reggie Fountain about 20 years ago now.

That's offshore racing...rough, stand up, and on the edge.
    'That's absolutely incredible racing, right on the bloody edge, those guys got balls. I love watching racers in the zone like that, they are so smooth with the throttle and as a result fast, but it almost makes it look slower then a guy with less precise throttle control.

reminds me of this lap at mount panorama TWR campaigned an XJS
    Last edited by afwjam; 05-10-2017 at 09:14 PM.

'That's absolutely incredible racing, right on the bloody edge, those guys got balls. I love watching racers in the zone like that, they are so smooth with the throttle and as a result fast, but it almost makes it look slower then a guy with less precise throttle control.

reminds me of this lap at mount panorama TWR campaigned an XJS
    Two wheels!

I wish I had the money and time to get into racing.

One of favorite segments of Top Gear was the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car"...

Check out Tom Cruise at 3 minutes even...wait for it.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.

where were you running the tow and salvage? I would like to hear more. I love the big ocean going tugs myself, racing to the salvage Job somewhere in the pacific...

Love the sound of that Jaguar V12...

As long as we're daydreaming here...I've always wanted to get my hands on on of these, a Baja 24.

Simple, single engine, good for about 80 mph which is plenty fast enough for me at my age now.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I just want to say to all of you who ARE in the wind now, be careful. There are a lot of Danke's out there.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I just want to say to all of you who ARE in the wind now, be careful. There are a lot of Danke's out there.
    I actually give motorcyclist and bicyclists a lot of room on the road. I do not care if they ride between lanes (legal in California) and get in front of me, etc. It is just the ones that purposely make noise. But whatever. I still have my first motorcycle. But I don't ride on the roads anymore. I drive trucks and SUVs. Too many idiots on the road. Not taking chances like that.

I think bicyclists would be much safer using sidewalks, especially when nobody seems to use them anymore. Unless you are in a downtown area.
    Last edited by Danke; 05-10-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I just want to add. I am probably one of the most conservative drivers out there. I use the right lane and usually drive slower than most, I don't need the aggravation to get somewhere 5 seconds before the next guy. I fly too, very cautiously.
    Last edited by Danke; 05-10-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

My first bike, got it in third grade. My bothers and me used paper route money to get it.

https://www.google.com/search?client...M57YTgqy18N2M:
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Love the sound of that Jaguar V12...

Love the Ferrari V12s too...

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast