Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Thought Is for White People

Free Thought Is for White People

https://www.theroot.com/free-thought...ple-1825704677

Michael Harriot 5/2/2018

Kris Jenner, Kendall Jenner, Kourtney Kardashian, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Caitlyn Jenner and Kylie Jenner attend Kanye West Yeezy Season 3 on Feb. 11, 2016, in New York City.

I am free.

I am a black man.

Perhaps the biggest challenge a father raising a black child in America will ever face is conveying the difference between those two things. It is hard to explain the oxymoron of making sure a person believes that the world provides them with limitless opportunity while ensuring that they understand the limiting reality of being black in America.

It is a precipitously thin wire that black people must walk every day. The path between life and liberty is a dank, cramped, unending alleyway in which we are forced to spend our entire existence. The borders are unmarked, but stepping outside the boundaries can often mean death.

My daughter is free.

She is an unpredictable ball of creativity and intelligence who believes that she can do anything she has ever seen anyone else do. It is my job to facilitate that. When she saw a fencing competition in the 2008 Summer Olympics, I was forced to sit in fencing classes for four hours every week until she became a world-ranked saber fencer at 11 years old.

That was before she watched a few skating videos, gave up fencing and started dragging me to skate parks every weekend so she could become a skater. The skating thing was before she decided to teach herself to play the guitar from watching YouTube videos, which was before she became obsessed with woodworking and making her own guitars from scratch.

Anytime she sees a person doing something interesting, she figures she can, too, which means I have spent time taking her to do a lot of “white things,” including Pokémon competitions, comic book stores, graffiti lessons, chess tournaments, Ultimate Frisbee games, hiking, rock climbing and lacrosse leagues.

One day she was going to some cosplay nerd convention thing (that may have been the official title; in fact, I’m pretty sure it was Cosplay NerdThingCon), and I asked her if she had her ID. She insisted that she didn’t need it because she wasn’t driving. “Yes, you do,” I responded. “Just in case someone asks you for your ID.”

“People can’t get in trouble for not having identification if they aren’t driving,” she said, explaining how she had seen someone (probably some white person) on YouTube explain how it is unconstitutional to force anyone to give their identification. “I know my rights. You don’t need ID.”

“You’re right,” I said, probably not calmly. “People don’t need ID. You do.”

“Why?” she asked.

“Because you’re black.”

On Tuesday the artist formerly known as Kanye West went on a media blitz explaining his allegiance to President Donald Trump, his nonsensical Twitter rants and—most importantly—the concept of “free thought.”

Stopping by TMZ’s studios with the conservative sentient talking point, Candace Owens, Kanye explained: “When you hear about slavery for 400 years. For 400 years?! That sounds like a choice.”

Kanye and conservatives have embraced the term “free thought” as a way to explain that black people aren’t required to all think alike. That blackness is not bound by the Democratic Party, progressivism and perpetual victimhood. Kanye and his conservative clansmen contend that unless black people dispossess themselves of this insipid Negro hive mind, we will never be free.

Part of privilege is the freedom to ignore history, data and proven facts to embrace the possibility of the universal oneness of all mankind. Black people don’t get to do that because we live in a brick-and-mortar world that constantly reassures us of one fact:

Free thought is for white people.

Kanye is a multimillionaire whose celebrity, bank account and white wife slightly distance him from the reality of blackness. But only slightly.

He gets to enjoy the privilege of having his accomplishments and his talent be tethered to his face. When the world sees him, they immediately recognize him as Grammy-winning rapper and music producer Kanye West, and not as a random black man.

White people get to enjoy that privilege, too.

White people can use their “free thought” to ignore the historical ramifications of 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow because it never affected them. A white man telling me to overcome the effects of slavery is like a zoologist telling me where to find a unicorn.

Every society is built on the precedent of the past. It’s how laws, politics and the economy work. School funding, wage inequality, the racial makeup of neighborhoods, drug laws, college exams and every aspect of the criminal-justice system are still wet with the remnants of slavery and Jim Crow.

Conservative blowhards are quick to tell black people that slavery was something a few white men did centuries ago. Then, with the same lipless mouths, they advocate for gun rights, Confederate monuments and Christian ideals based on some $#@! that a few white men did centuries ago.

“Free thought” means “white thought.”

Donald Trump and the people at Turning Points USA don’t have to think about their children being seen as older and less innocent simply because of the color of their skin. White men aren’t thought of as larger and more threatening, as black men are. White adults think that black girls are less innocent than girls like Kim, Khloé and the other white Kardashians. (I forget the rest of their names. I usually just abbreviate it “KKK.”)

Ask Trayvon Martin’s mother if thinking would have made a bullet bounce off her son’s chest. Ask Police Officer Jeronimo Yanez how he freed Philando Castile’s brain matter from his skull. Ask the black men who get 20 percent more time in jail for committing the same crimes as white men how free they feel.

The most racist part in all of this discussion is conservatives’ assumption that most black people are feebleminded lemmings whose dunderheaded thoughts must be the result of low IQ and brainwashing because, according to their logic, conservative white people know best. Apparently, they believe that all the idling Negro minds put together don’t equate to one brain cell of a free thinker like Donald Trump.

The $#@!ed-up part is that Kanye believes this, too. The rest of us are too dumb to free ourselves, or too lazy to work ourselves out of our black misery. But he thinks “freely” now.

Like the smart people.

Like the successful people.

Like the white people.

To truly think freely is to truly understand both sides. I try not to pound a defeated version of blackness into my daughter, and I’m pretty sure she knows she is black. I want her to be able to think for herself, form her own opinions and believe that her possibilities are limitless.

But more than that, I want her to be alive.

A few weeks ago, after the national gun-violence walkout, I asked her if her school participated. She told me that the school set a time for the walkout and allowed students to exit the classrooms in an orderly fashion and go outside. But she told me that she refused to participate and stayed inside.

When I asked her why, she explained to me that the administration had organized everything and made sure instructors wouldn’t penalize students who walked out. “I didn’t do it because—to me—it wasn’t really a protest,” she said.

My daughter is black.

My daughter is free.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Michael Harriot

World-renowned wypipologist. Getter and doer of "it." Never reneged, never will. Last real negus alive.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    White people can't have free thought either. Here is how white people are to speak of Kanye West. https://www.theguardian.com/music/co...west?CMP=fb_gu

Sounds like Mikey is a whiny ass victim of his own making.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ryan
    In Washington you can see them everywhere: the Parasites and baby Stalins sucking the life out of a once-great nation.

Slave.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

There is no solving this problem.

Secession now.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Slave.
    +rep

The most racist part in all of this discussion is conservatives’ assumption that most black people are feebleminded lemmings whose dunderheaded thoughts must be the result of low IQ and brainwashing because, according to their logic, conservative white people know best.

To truly think freely is to truly understand both sides.
    And the slave's assumption is that's what conservative's are thinking. o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

White people are great , I suggest everyone get your own . I have Danke as my sidekick . He is pretty entertaining .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    I wonder if Ms Owens knows that some of the people who support her free thought also support the genocide of subsaharan Africans which would include her?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I wonder if Ms Owens knows that some of the people who support her free thought also support the genocide of subsaharan Africans which would include her?
    That has what to do with her statement?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

That has what to do with her statement?
    It has everything to do with the OP. I really don't care one way or another about her statement.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

It has everything to do with the OP. I really don't care one way or another about her statement.
    Those that support free thought support subsaharan African genocide?

Aka, wypipo.

Those that support free thought support subsaharan African genocide?
    No. Just that a particular person who started this thread posted in a now deleted thread that he supported subsaharan African genocide.

Aka, wypipo.
    I assume most white people do not support genocide. But when someone comes out and says he supports genocide I take him at his word.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 05-06-2018 at 08:50 AM.

That's stretching it a bit isn't it?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    That's stretching it a bit isn't it?
    No it's not. The person that started this thread said in a now deleted thread that he supports genocide of subsaharan Africans. So...where's the stretch dude?

So the hell what?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So the hell what?

Excuse me for taking the threat of genocide seriously.
    Last edited by jmdrake; 05-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Excuse me for taking the threat of genocide seriously.
    Excuse you for your super lame attempt at trolling.

It's kind of pathetic, really.

Excuse you for your super lame attempt at trolling.

It's kind of pathetic, really.
    So....you aren't really for free through afterwards. Noted. I don't think this is lame at all. Someone who supports genocide is promoting Candace Owens who Kanye West was attempting to support when he made his incoherent statements about slavery. Oh...but it's "free thought" as long as everything is "controlled." Get off the democratic plantation and get on the republican plantation. I get it. Totally.

So....you aren't really for free through afterwards. Noted. I don't think this is lame at all. Someone who supports genocide is promoting Candace Owens who Kanye West was attempting to support when he made his incoherent statements about slavery. Oh...but it's "free thought" as long as everything is "controlled." Get off the democratic plantation and get on the republican plantation. I get it. Totally.
    Yawn.

Your semi-coherent ramblings do not make your lame attempts at trolling any less pathetic.

'I wonder if Jesse Jackson knows people quoting him sometimes promote the extermination of wypipo'..... hurrdurr.

No. Just that a particular person who started this thread posted in a now deleted thread that he supported subsaharan African genocide.

I assume most white people do not support genocide. But when someone comes out and says he supports genocide I take him at his word.
    The thread was never deleted, just the posts that you reported as racist. The OP of this thread never posted in that thread.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...s-destabilised
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I think you are confusing Tim for thoughtomator.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

No it's not. The person that started this thread said in a now deleted thread that he supports genocide of subsaharan Africans. So...where's the stretch dude?
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I think you are confusing Tim for thoughtomator.
    Should I seek a restitution for these accusations?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I haven't followed this whole Kanye thing. Is this the big problem - that he said that if a group of people were enslaved for 400 years then it must have been voluntary?
    If that's the case, I'm not sure he understands how that works. I'm actually pretty sure he doesn't.

One thing I can tell you, is that it has been at least a century since blacks were allowed freely to organize. It's been at least a century since blacks were free to educate themselves.
    And after more than a century, the prevailing thought among blacks - if their propaganda mouthpieces are to be believed - is that Trayvon was a victim.

I'm not saying free-thinking is a white value. In fact I've probably met more free-thinking blacks than whites, because unlike whites, blacks aren't rewarded for accepting the status quo (or at least not as handsomely). But on the one hand it takes most non-blacks about five minutes of questioning to get to the irrefutable position that Trayvon was a $#@!ing thug and got what he deserved, and on the other hand all the evidence that points there is ignored by the mouthpieces for black culture, and anyone bringing it up gets $#@! chucked at him.

I'm also not arguing that the system isn't racist. Of course it is. But you want to know why? Because everyone who has paid more than a comatose level of attention to that case pissed on his grave years ago. The system continues to be racist because the people who might actually work to change it all think that every black person thinks Trayvon was a victim. They know that is factually incorrect, so they have no reason to believe anything else that comes from those mouthpieces - and that very much includes all the actual cases of actual racism.

Back to "voluntary slavery" though... you know what? If some official black mouthpiece concentrated on the actual injustices, and called for all the white people who got caught up in that very same net to work with them to change it, then there would be way more than enough people to make it happen. I would be right there with them, and armed.

But they don't. They continue chucking this Trayvon $#@!.

If that's not voluntary slavery, I don't know what is.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I haven't followed this whole Kanye thing.
    That's a shame. I hear he's the new Ludwig Von Mises of our time.

I imagined Kanye West was taller.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    I imagined Kanye West was taller.
    I guess gay fish are much shorter than hobbits.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    That's a shame. I hear he's the new Ludwig Von Mises of our time.
    But you have to admit Mr. Trump's act is going to be hard to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Should I seek a restitution for these accusations?
    My apologizes. I will donate my full years salary from Ron Paul campaign to the cause of your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast