Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invasion of the Fidget Spinners

Invasion of the Fidget Spinners

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/05/inva...-spinners.html

May 5, 2017

With all the ink spilled about how children can barely tear themselves away from their glowing screens, it’s kind of surprising that this season’s biggest elementary-school fad involves nothing fancier than a couple of ounces of metal, plastic, and a few ball bearings.

Welcome to the springtime of the fidget spinner, the hot new “It” item, what some see as the palm-size scourge of schools and playgrounds across the country — and pretty much the only thing my first-grader is talking about these days. These devices don’t look like much: Think teeny-tiny lazy Susans (but with three prongs). To use, simply place the bearing between thumb and finger and, well, spin.

Every day after school my 7-and-a-half-year-old daughter, who currently does not have a fidget spinner, updates me on which of her classmates do. “Molly got one today,” she said, making sure to add, “She told me it was only $5 online.” The next day a boy named Neal announced his new spinner at school drop-off, pulling a brightly colored one from his sweatpants pocket. “Bella has two,” my daughter noted just this morning. When I ask what’s so amazing about them, she doesn’t have much for me: “I don’t know, they’re just so fun to play with.” So far, in the hopes of building much-needed patience in her one-click world, I haven’t gotten her one yet. But maybe I’ve waited long enough?

Much like last year’s water-bottle-flipping craze, fidget spinners are a cheap thrill (most cost $5 to $10) that kids are using to kill time and energy and to work the nerves of everyone around them. The drone and visual distraction from the spinners has gotten so inescapable that schools are slowly banning them from classrooms. When I mentioned fidget spinners to a friend who teaches middle-schoolers, she groaned before I could even finish my sentence — and explained they’re no longer allowed at her school.

Fidget spinners were invented by a Florida woman named Catherine Hettinger, who told Money that major toy-maker Hasbro passed when she approached the company with the product back in the ’90s. Back in 2005, Hettinger’s patent expired, enabling companies — including Hasbro — to sell fidget spinners independently from her and expand upon the design and varieties of the growing trend. Until recently, spinners were used mostly in a therapeutic context, since some experts think they can be helpful in focusing or calming kids who have ADHD or anxiety (there’s debate about how true this is). In some classrooms, teachers only allow them when they’ve been recommended by a therapist.

Perhaps their occupational-therapy origins are a big part of the lure. Kids often jockey to try out someone else’s crutches or pretend to need glasses — claiming a need to fidget could be another version of this kind of borrowing. Whatever it is, the popularity is hard to deny: As of now, fidget spinners — and their cousins, fidget cubes, which mostly just involve pressing useless little buttons in and out — are 47 of 50 of the top-selling toys on Amazon.

Parents, for their part, seem both befuddled and annoyed by them — or just desperate to get their hands on one. A thread on the Park Slope Parents message board asking where to buy them in the neighborhood garnered a deluge of quick responses. “Why they are popular is beyond me,” one parent chimed in, with another asking, “Can someone explain the origin of the craze?” Reportedly, toy stores are struggling to keep up with the demand, with some retailers marketing adult versions (with adult-size prices, at over $100 a pop).

After spending time mulling over them, I’ll admit it: The appeal of the fidget spinner is sort of universal. Ever click-click-click-clicked the top of a retractable pen in a meeting, or swung your keys around your index finger while biding your time in a line? Then you, too, have been entranced by repetitive, mindless, energy-expending motion at your fingertips. Plus, when you compare it to bouncing a tennis ball against the wall or biting your nails, a fidget spinner actually doesn’t seem half-bad.

By now, I think I have waited long enough (my unscientific opinion says we’re at peak spinner-mania this week). I’m not an aggravated teacher, and I’m willing to spend $5 on this maybe-irksome, seemingly wholesome device. As of today, there’s been no official ban on them communicated to parents at my daughter’s school. Perhaps it’s time to go forth and get a fidget spinner, to give my child a hit of guaranteed screen-free joy. After all, these are strange, trying times we’re living in. If self-soothing in Trump’s America means that kids and adults alike are turning to a fidget toy to get by, then let the world spin madly on.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Spinning is critical for kids brain development, hence mobiles in cribs and how playgrounds used to have merry go rounds. If the kids are drawn to these, its probably because they aren't getting enough spinning time otherwise and their body/minds are craving it.

At the end of his video this guy says the spinning occupies the ADD part of his brain leaving the rest of his brain free to focus on the task at hand.

interesting.
    1. Don't lie.
    2. Don't cheat.
    3. Don't steal.
    4. Don't kill.
    5. Don't commit adultery.
    6. Don't covet what your neighbor has, especially his wife.
    7. Honor your father and mother.
    8. Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy.
    9. Don’t use your Higher Power's name in vain, or anyone else's.
    10. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil..." -- I Timothy 6:10, KJV

I've got a 4 inch bolt on my desk with a nut on it that i spin up and down the bolt when I'm trying to think.

I've never heard of spinners until a few days ago when my son made one out of legos.

Syracuse 9-year-old using fidget spinner causes $2,000 in tooth damage: Your Stories

http://www.localsyr.com/news/local-n...mage/708302119
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Back in my day, called them tops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Syracuse 9-year-old using fidget spinner causes $2,000 in tooth damage: Your Stories

Ban fidget spinners!
    "The Patriarch"

Teachers are totally over fidget spinners

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ers/101284298/

May 4, 2017

Fidget spinners are the hot new toy. Kids love them. Teachers and schools, not so much.

If you've never heard of a fidget spinner, it's a toy with a ball bearing in the middle and prongs (usually 3) popping out. You hold the spinner with your thumb and index finger, then spin it by tapping one of the prongs.

Your kid probably has a fidget spinner already, but let me tell you about it anyway

If you're feeling crazy, you can do stuff like spin it off your finger, or if you get really good you can perform a bunch of tricks like the ones on YouTube (and there are a lot of them).

The spinner themselves are cheap — you can get one as low as $2. Some spinner manufacturers claim they can help people suffering from anxiety or ADHD to focus.

But schools in the Chicago area are starting to ban spinners because they're too much of a distraction, according to The Chicago Tribune,

“Frankly, we've found the fidgets were having the opposite effect of what they advertise," said Kate Ellison, a principal of Washington Elementary School in Evanston, Ill., to the Tribune.

Schools in other states, including Minnesota and Massachusetts, have also banned fidget spinners.

On Twitter, searching the hashtag #teacherproblems brings up a couple samples of teachers fed up with their students' latest obsession.

Others find legitimacy to the "students need them to focus" argument.

“Some students may very well require a fidget or sensory device as part of an individual plan, so we can't ban it,” said Matt Barbini, deputy superintendent of a school district in Illinois, in an article on The Daily Herald. “But if it disrupts instruction, or creates an unsafe environment, we need to act responsibly.”

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In this area (as most things) my generation had something much better.

Literally within days everyone in my high school had a set of these. Dangerous? pfftt, we were made of sterner stuff back then.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

When I was a kid any device would be used to gamble with somehow , we managed to do that while retaining our teeth .
    Do something Danke

Ban fidget spinners!
    Ban bearings!

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Inside the Fidget Spinner Gold Rush

https://geeksdistrict.com/inside-the...ner-gold-rush/

In April, smartphone repair shop owner Michael Oberdick sold roughly 20,000 fidget spinners. He just ordered more from a supplier in China, but he'll have to wait.

"They're easy to get but it often takes a lot of time because they're so backed up," he told me. "I placed an order for 10,000 spinners eight days ago and I couldn't get them right away because someone else had just placed an order for 2 million, so they jumped to the front of the line."

Over the last month or so, the spinning toys have gone from an elementary-school fad to a nationwide obsession. Unlike many other toy crazes, fidget spinners offer a wild-wild west for global capitalists looking to cash in on the craze. For one, there are no patents or trademarks to worry about infringing, so any factory can spew them out by the thousands. They're cheap to make and buy, so there's little risk in investing in, say, 500 or 1,000 of them. And unlike hoverboards, the craze that Chinese factories were cranking out last year, they aren't going to explode or catch fire.

"I'm selling a couple thousand a week just walking around and asking stores if they them"

"Anyone who has them can get rid of them," Oberdick, who owns smartphone repair company iOutlet and accessories and parts wholesaler Elevate Supply said. "I've been wholesaling to gas stations, Verizon chains, to people who are selling them out of the back of their cars. We've cut spending in other areas of our repair business to buy spinners. It's much easier than selling iPhone parts and other repairs."

According to wholesalers in China and in the United States, many of the factories in China that traditionally have made smartphone cases and accessories have essentially shut down those operations to focus on fidget spinners full-time.

A fidget spinner price list from a wholesaler in Shenzhen.

Mandy Xiao, a Shenzhen-based representative for Shenzhen LTS Technology, which wholesales iPhone screens and accessories, told me that fidget spinners have recently become a huge part of the company's business. The company sells 25 different types of fidget spinners (glow in the dark, LED lighting, metal, camouflage, Batman, etc) with a minimum order quantity of 100 units, starting at $1.10 a piece. She said that many factories had stopped production of other products to pump out fidget spinners.

Sunny Lin, who has a smartphone repair shop on St. Marks Place in Manhattan and a direct line to wholesalers and factories in China, says he doesn't even bother selling fidget spinners in his store—instead, he just walks up and down the streets of Manhattan hawking them to bodegas.

"Anyone who sells iPhone screens knows the same people who can buy spinners by the hundreds or thousands"

"The molds are really easy to make, so every factory that does plastic is making these," he told me. "If you're a small or mid-sized factory you can make the molds on the fly and make 10,000 of them the next day. My supplier says they're 25 cents to make, more or less. I get them for 60 cents and sell them for 85 cents wholesale. I'm selling a couple thousand a week just walking around and asking stores if they them."

There are lots of people in the United States importing fidget spinners en masse, but I noticed that, in particular, the smartphone repair community has recently become obsessed with the craze. That's because many independent repair shop owners regularly deal with importing iPhone parts and accessories from China's grey market. It's easy, then, to have a supplier add 100 or 1,000 fidget spinners to normal parts shipments.

"Anyone who sells iPhone screens knows the same people who can buy spinners by the hundreds or thousands," Oberdick said.

Oberdick says he's paying between 90 cents and $2 a piece per spinner and tries to make a profit of about $2 per spinner on wholesale orders and $8 per spinner on retail sales. He says the product has been so profitable that he plans on donating much of the money he makes in May to nonprofits.

Smartphone repair shop forums and Facebook groups have been flooded with spinner advertising advice, wholesaling tips, and sourcing information. Even companies that haven't suddenly made spinners their focus have dipped their toes into retailing them as a marketing tool.

"I ordered 325 of them and got them last Wednesday. By Sunday I had sold out. I got 500 more and I'm planning on ordering another 2,000 of them," Nick Travali, founder of Smartphone Fix in Santa Maria, California, told me. "We get them for $1.50-$2 per piece, sell them for $8. We have people coming in for the spinners and saying, 'Wow, I didn't know you guys were here.' The Spinner is a fad but in the end they're going to come back to you for repair or accessories."

Stocking spinners is even easier than stocking iPhone parts, which can be of varying quality—and it's much easier than cashing in on last year's hoverboard craze.

"I had hoverboards and I knew which ones would explode and which wouldn't," said Pedro Ferrer, owner of TechRX in Macon, Georgia who started selling spinners after his teenage daughters told him that they kids they were babysitting for were going nuts for them. "These spinners have been huge for me, with all the kids dragging in their parents, who then learn that they can get their iPhone battery replaced or something."

With so much money exchanging hands, I wondered why any of the people I spoke with would want to give away their business secrets and pricing strategy. Each of them came to the same conclusion: The fidget spinner fad won't last forever, but for now it's so easy to sell them that it almost doesn't matter how many competitors enter the market.

"There's enough business to go around," Oberdick said. "Everybody should be doing it. We've sold so many and I can't bring them in as fast as I can sell them so it doesn't really matter who knows at this point."

What ever happened to good ol' lawn darts?

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    What ever happened to good ol' lawn darts?
    You don't remember the weekly death reports? They were banned.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You don't remember the weekly death reports? They were banned.
    sorry... forgot the

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    back in my day we used to play Beyblade

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Back in my day, called them tops.

Back in my day we called them Beyblades.

It is safe in Minnesota , they banned them from the school system.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by HitoKichi View Post
    Back in my day we called them Beyblades.
    LOL! That's exactly what my son said. He called them Beyblade but gayer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    LOL! That's exactly what my son said. He called them Beyblade but gayer.
    Not sure, but I think it might be the other way around.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I got my boys a couple of these damn things. My youngest was bummed at me for using the air compressor to spin one up on the table. It got the death wobbles and wallered out the center bearing housing so the thing spun like $#@! after I had my way with it. I ended up buying another fidget spinner.

I tell you what. They make a glorious sound when blasting them with 125 PSI. I had to have had that somebitch spun up to 10K RPM or better.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

With all the ink spilled about how children can barely tear themselves away from their glowing screens, it’s kind of surprising that this season’s biggest elementary-school fad involves nothing fancier than a couple of ounces of metal, plastic, and a few ball bearings.
    It is their parents who cannot bear to not put them in front of screens. The Big Flat Babysitter.

Children don't just make up culture and behavior on their own (except in very little, derivative ways).

It is indeed a sign of civilizational decline that this toy has:

• No competitive element

• Requires no skill

It shows our decline in mechanical aptitude and interest, and in competitive drive. It's a degenerate toy, for a degenerate age. A toy for passive, unambitious, boring muffins.

Bring back conkers! Of course, to bring back that we'd have to bring back the chestnut tree. It was driven into oblivion by... what? Oh, I shouldn't say. Some here wouldn't like to hear anything negative about the consequences of invasive foreign influxes.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    It is their parents who cannot bear to not put them in front of screens. The Big Flat Babysitter.

Children don't just make up culture and behavior on their own (except in very little, derivative ways).

It is indeed a sign of civilizational decline that this toy has:

• No competitive element

• Requires no skill

It shows our decline in mechanical aptitude and interest, and in competitive drive. It's a degenerate toy, for a degenerate age. A toy for passive, unambitious, boring muffins.

Bring back conkers! Of course, to bring back that we'd have to bring back the chestnut tree. It was driven into oblivion by... what? Oh, I shouldn't say. Some here wouldn't like to hear anything negative about the consequences of invasive foreign influxes.

Bring back Beyblades and Pokemon cards

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Its just a toy.
    Think of the children.

Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post

Literally within days everyone in my high school had a set of these. Dangerous? pfftt, we were made of sterner stuff back then.
    I liked the ones that sparked better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Think of the children.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Its just a toy.
    I did think it was cool how sudden its emergence was. Out of nowhere! One week it wasn't there, next week it was. Suddenly every male 2nd-grader had one. I will admit, I too had to buy one for a ten-year-old. We walked into the gas station and they already knew what we wanted before we said anything. The guy next to us at the counter got the third-to-last one, and we got the second-to-last. They'd almost (and surely had by the end of the day) sold out their entire case in, I think, one day.

I've never seen a fad sweep in so quickly.

Anyway, I just think it is a particularly lame toy. It doesn't do anything. You can't do anything with it. You don't really even play with it, you fidget with it. I've only seen one boy attempting to do any kind of tricks with it (ala yoyos, say).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast