Thread: How much silver would make you feel comfy about a dollar crash?

How much silver would make you feel comfy about a dollar crash?

How many ounces of silver do you need to feel safe?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Much more than you have access to.

Old school investment advisers usually suggested around 10 to twenty percent in gold etc. Of course , they were thinking stock crash , not a currency problem. I would not be comfortable without 50 percent or more in land,silver,gold,copper,lead,tools,equipment etc. So , if I was a young guy with 20 to 40K in the bank in a savings , IRA , 401K Etc , I would want the same in hard money after I had a pc of property, water and the means to defend it .
    Last edited by oyarde; 11-16-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Much more than you have access to.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Old school investment advisers usually suggested around 10 to twenty percent in gold etc. Of course , they were thinking stock crash , not a currency problem. I would not be comfortable without 50 percent or more in land,silver,gold,copper,lead,tools,equipment etc. So , if I was a young guy with 20 to 40K in the bank in a savings , IRA , 401K Etc , I would want the same in hard money after I had a pc of property, water and the means to defend it .
    Wasn't asking about percents but specifically ounces you hold in your possession.

Let's see. How long do you expect dollars to be worthless and you have to live on silver? Let's use one year and if you think you will need to live longer, multiply it.

To replace the median income (before taxes) of $52,000 and at a price of $14 an ounce currently, you should have 3,714 ounces or 255 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Let's see. How long do you expect dollars to be worthless and you have to live on silver? Let's use one year and if you think you will need to live longer, multiply it.

To replace the median income (before taxes) of $52,000 and at a price of $14 an ounce currently, you should have 3,714 ounces or 255 pounds.
    Zippy Translator: Don't buy physical silver. Stay a slave to imaginary wealth. "Chosen" bankers want you to hold garbage while they horde the real money.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

The correct answer is "zero." There is no amount of silver, or food or lead for that matter, that would make me feel "comfy" about a dollar collapse. Don't kid yourselves folks, it will be very messy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Not really Zip , you only have to replace anything you actually have to buy.

I have about 2000 ounces of silver tucked away in my bedroom. Got another 6000 or so stashed away around my property.

In January of 1919, one ounce of silver was worth approximately 12 Deutsche Marks. By the end of 1923, one ounce of silver was worth 543,750,000,000 Deutsche marks.

Silver doesn't make me feel any more comfy than does copper, lead or zinc.

Gold on the other hand....
    What I say is for entertainment purposes only!

Mark 10:45 The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.

"If you want to make a lot of money, resist diversification." - Jim Rogers

Youd be better off hoarding nickels honestly. If you sit down and think about it you'll realize i'm right...

1) No physical premium
    2) More recognizable than Gold or Silver in a meltdown scenario
    3) Melt value is 50% of Face
    4) Can always be turned back into paper at a bank with no issue
    5) Less likely to be confiscated like Gold or Silver

I own a lot of gold and silver and years of being a stacker allowed me to realize I should have gone heavier on the nickels. Gold and silver will not make you rich and in the event the dollar completely crashes food will be more valuable and in the event all the metals rise up (Say Gold to 10k Silver to $500) it's very reasonable to suspect a Nickel might be worth a dollar or two. No bad for something you don't have to pay a premium on.
    It's just an opinion... man...

I SWAG ~$100K per year, for life, ought to pretty well cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    Youd be better off hoarding nickels honestly. If you sit down and think about it you'll realize i'm right...

1) No physical premium

I own a lot of gold and silver and years of being a stacker allowed me to realize I should have gone heavier on the nickels. Gold and silver will not make you rich and in the event the dollar completely crashes food will be more valuable and in the event all the metals rise up (Say Gold to 10k Silver to $500) it's very reasonable to suspect a Nickel might be worth a dollar or two. No bad for something you don't have to pay a premium on.
    Good point where do you buy nickels from?

Quote Originally Posted by robskicks View Post
    I believe you can still get them at banks for $2.00 a roll.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you think any amount of fiat, metals, bitcoin, stocks, bonds, etc. will protect you from a economic turmoil you're doing it wrong; at any point any one of them can go absolutely bust; silver included.

A few "buy and holds" might be lucky and happen to pick which one wins... but its much wiser to play the charts; ride the bulls and dump the bears as they come. Keep yourself always in the rising ratio... it doesn't matter what it is. If dollars are bulling silver I don't give a $#@! how comfy silver might feel, you gtfo and move to fiat. If silver is bulling bitcoin... I don't care how cool bitcoin is, you move to metal.

Stay on the bull train. That's my advice.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

1) No physical premium

Illegal to melt coins.

$10,000 in nickels would be 200,000 of them. At five grams each, that is one million grams, 35,000 ounces (32,000 troy ounces), or 2,200 pounds (just over a ton). If median income is $50k and you got paid in nickels that would be eleven tons (one million coins).

1) No physical premium

I like nickels and pre '82 copper pennies. Yeah it's bulky, but someone can run off with silver or gold. I won't mess with someone big enough to run off with a ton of nickel or copper.

Illegal to melt coins.
    In the event of a crash of the dollar, I doubt government will be able to afford to prosecute those who do.

Illegal to melt coins.

$10,000 in nickels would be 200,000 of them. At five grams each, that is one million grams, 35,000 ounces (32,000 troy ounces), or 2,200 pounds (just over a ton). If median income is $50k and you got paid in nickels that would be eleven tons (one million coins).

Illegal to melt coins.

As if the $ value of a nickel will matter if the metal content of the coin itself becomes important to commerce.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Illegal to melt coins.

No one would be melting them they'd be used as bartering chips. The reason I point out it's 50% (it's actually 55%) is because that's thee most valuable coin relative to it's face value (next closest is the penny at 40%) however, the reason I think pennies are a bad call is because pre-82 pennies are worth 137% to face value while the post 83 pennies are 40% which is a problem when you're picking up a bunch of rolls from the bank.

With nickels they are all the same value so when I grab rolls from the bank I know it's all the same.

Plus if you were prepping and planning on staying put the weight wouldn't at all be a factor.

Something else I forgot to mention is they stack PERFECTLY in ammo cans and bricks of nickels in ammo cans can actually be used to stop bullets. You could theoretically insulate your house with all those ammo boxes filled with nickels and essentially armor plate your walls.
    Last edited by NoOneButPaul; 11-23-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robskicks View Post
    I just bring my paper currency into the bank and ask for rolls. Typically I ask for $20 worth (10rolls) when I deposit my check. You don't wanna be carrying full nickel boxes out of the bank and arise suspicion but I know a lot of preppers who do just that... I prefer to ask for $20 worth and make up some bull$#@! about how I look for buffalos as a hobby.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the reason I think pennies are a bad call is because pre-82 pennies are worth 137% to face value while the post 83 pennies are 40% which is a problem when you're picking up a bunch of rolls from the bank.
    I occasionally get a wild hair and sort them by hand. Hopefully the value will be no more than when I'm a grandfather passing a bunch of 100+ year old pennies to my grand kids. If the copper gets valuable and they melt them, they'll have some numi value. Indian pennies sell for a buck or more.

Quote Originally Posted by cubical View Post
    Silver doesn't make me feel any more comfy than does copper, lead or zinc.

Gold on the other hand....
    Central Banks around the world would agree because they all have massive gold holdings yet not a single ounce of silver.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    I occasionally get a wild hair and sort them by hand. Hopefully the value will be no more than when I'm a grandfather passing a bunch of 100+ year old pennies to my grand kids. If the copper gets valuable and they melt them, they'll have some numi value. Indian pennies sell for a buck or more.
    I sold a 1909 S Indian cent , in Fine , today , for 369 dollars , or , about 11 dollars less than wholesale dealer to dealer price for " Ask".

Dozen chickens, 6 cows, 4 pigs, a windmill powered well on 4 acres of hay land, and enough firepower to protect it.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic