Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kraft Mac & Cheese Secretly Changed Its Recipe, and Is Proud Nobody Noticed

Kraft Mac & Cheese Secretly Changed Its Recipe, and Is Proud Nobody Noticed

http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/kraft-...noticed-170053

If you were among the junk-food fans anxious that a more natural Kraft Macaroni & Cheese would be less tasty, lay your worries to rest: You might already have tasted it and not been the wiser.
    In a ballsy, brilliant bit of marketing, Kraft hoodwinked millions of consumers into taste-tasting an updated version of its classic product. After announcing plans last year to remove artificial coloring and preservatives from its recipe, some worried that it would ruin a beloved (if questionably neon) meal. So Kraft rolled its upgraded version recipe out to shelves in December ... without telling anyone.
    Three months later, a new campaign—created by Crispin Porter + Bogusky and starring comedian Craig Kilborn—celebrates the fact that Mac & Cheese lovers have gone on loving the product because they didn't even realize it had changed. (For reference, the new version contains spices like paprika, annatto and turmeric to replace dyes like yellow 5 and 6.)

Kraft Mac & Cheese Secretly Changed Its Recipe, and Is Proud Nobody Noticed Craig Kilborn swears it tastes just like the old, fake stuff By Gabriel Beltrone
    March 8, 2016, 9:13 AM EST

If you were among the junk-food fans anxious that a more natural Kraft Macaroni & Cheese would be less tasty, lay your worries to rest: You might already have tasted it and not been the wiser.
    In a ballsy, brilliant bit of marketing, Kraft hoodwinked millions of consumers into taste-tasting an updated version of its classic product. After announcing plans last year to remove artificial coloring and preservatives from its recipe, some worried that it would ruin a beloved (if questionably neon) meal. So Kraft rolled its upgraded version recipe out to shelves in December ... without telling anyone.
    Three months later, a new campaign—created by Crispin Porter + Bogusky and starring comedian Craig Kilborn—celebrates the fact that Mac & Cheese lovers have gone on loving the product because they didn't even realize it had changed. (For reference, the new version contains spices like paprika, annatto and turmeric to replace dyes like yellow 5 and 6.)

The 45-second faux-epic TV spot breaks the news with a string of jokes about all the types of people—and animals—that missed the switch. The "sneaky moms" line in particular rings like a subtle allusion to a 2011 viral video featuring indignant kids who thought their mother had eaten all their Halloween candy—a gag made famous by Jimmy Kimmel, who launched his late-night talk show back in 2003, shortly before Kilborn quit The Late Late Show.
    Some cracks are more obvious. The brand and its agency couldn't resist a dig at millennials, which is amusing but low-hanging fruit. Others are counterintuitively clever, even self-deprecating: Obviously the dogs didn't notice the difference between old and new Mac & Cheese; they're not exactly known for the nuance of their palates. And some are just funny—like the guy who claimed he's working from home but isn't.
    The tagline, "It's changed but it hasn't," works oddly well. It's the kind of obnoxious non-statement that should be avoided. On repeated listening, it gets even tougher to swallow—grating, even. But given the iconic status of Kraft's golden goo, the brand is right to trade on familiarity while signaling that it's improved its product.
    While "all-natural" labels (not exactly what Kraft is claiming here) are famously meaningless, the company's change followed consumer uprising about the artificial dyes in the meal, led by controversial food blogger Vani Hari, as well as the rise of "healthy" competitors like Annie's Homegrown, which chipped away at Kraft's market dominance. (Founded in 1989, Annie's launched its first national advertising campaign last fall. It was created by Fearless Unlimited, a new shop founded by CP+B namesake Alex Bogusky, the Kraft agency's former wünderkind).
    Overall, Kraft's approach is a fresh and topical way to serve a message that boils down to a basic point: "Look how much people love our product." As for sales of the new version, an exec in the behind-the-scenes video below says the conglomerate has moved 50 million boxes in the relevant period—"the same as always."

Complete with wide-eyed testimonials, this peek behind the curtain rounds out a campaign blitz that includes print and additional digital components, emphasizing that people "just didn't notice" the swap (including a tweet that claims "55,000 more people tweeted about squirrels" than the new recipe). That observation is consistent with independent (and anecdotal) taste tests conducted last June by the Huffington Post, which managed to get its hands on a box of the new stuff.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I totally didn't notice. It still makes me constipated though.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Never had any.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Never had any.
    Well put down your Stroopwafels and try some.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Now better and still as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Well put down your Stroopwafels and try some.
    Don't insult my stroopwafels.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Dunno, stroopwafels are freaking awesome. I'd take those over kraft mac and cheese anyday.
    Yeah, well, I never eat them really. Everyone else here does. I don't think I ever had mac and cheese at all.
    "I am a bird"

Yeah, well, I never eat them really. Everyone else here does. I don't think I ever had mac and cheese at all.
    I think we need to include Stroopwafels along with the TV in in the chip-in.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It's my favorite vegetable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

It's my favorite vegetable!
    Dutchman doesn't eat Stroopwafels. I think he's an imposter. Probably lives in San Diego.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I think we need to include Stroopwafels along with the TV in in the chip-in.
    I don't need a freakin TV but according to this topic I am missing out on some neon deliciousness. Which I must say sounds about as appetizing as the complete lack of meat and vegetables in the dish. Needless to say, I eat cheese fondue, which may be more or less the same thing but with bread, more cheese and lots of wine.. Which makes it that much better IMO.
    "I am a bird"

Dutchman doesn't eat Stroopwafels. I think he's an imposter.
    I eat pretty much everything except for saurkraut and red beets. Didn't like them as a kid, never had them since. On principle, I don't know if I'd like them now.
    "I am a bird"

//
    Last edited by PursuePeace; 03-10-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: image issues.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:17 PM.

A stroopwafel (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈstroːpʋaːfəl] ( listen); literally "syrup waffle") is a waffle made from two thin layers of baked dough with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle.

oh. wow.
    Why have I never heard of stroopwafels?

stroopwafels.
    I need to find some stroopwafels.

The change wasn't secret, and in fact it was discussed here in the forums. Also, since the change their Facebook page has been filled with complaints from people who did in fact notice, so it's pretty condescending of them to make that claim.

My biggest issue is that they redesigned the damned box, and I keep accidentally buying weird shapes.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dutchman doesn't eat Stroopwafels. I think he's an imposter. Probably lives in San Diego.
    This thread is now about Stroopwafels.
    If he is a Dutchman ( which I highly doubt ) then he is a self loathing Dutchman if he doesn't eat Stroopwafels. He should emigrate to some other EU country.
    Last edited by Danke; 03-10-2016 at 08:58 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    A stroopwafel (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈstroːpʋaːfəl] ( listen); literally "syrup waffle") is a waffle made from two thin layers of baked dough with a caramel-like syrup filling in the middle.

oh. wow.
    Why have I never heard of stroopwafels?

stroopwafels.
    I need to find some stroopwafels.
    Try Amazon.

Stroopwafels are trying to derail the Kraft Mac 'n Cheese thread. <boo, hiss>

Where's a mod when you (very rarely) need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Try Amazon.

I did.
    But specs told me stroopwafels are better than cookies.
    And cookies are my one little food weakness.

I don't want to turn into a stroopwafel.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:32 PM.

If he is a Dutchman ( which I highly doubt ) then he is a self loathing Dutchman if he doesn't eat Stroopwafels. He should emigrate to some other EU country.
    cookies are my only sweet food weakness as well. I discovered stroopwafels while living in a dutch country. they are like cookies; but only if you were able to make cookies out of cocaine. i'm not even joking.

I'm with danke, I now suspect luctor is not legit and is probably an agent of the reptilians and mexican too.
    Raw Herring...

Nomz.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 03-11-2016 at 09:39 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Well, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone use raw herring as a red herring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I did.
    But specs told me stroopwafels are better than cookies.
    And cookies are my one little food weakness.

I don't want to turn into a stroopwafel.
    FYI .....

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=stroopwafels

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post

I know! I saw them!

You guys just want me to get hooked on them so I'll end up having to attend the Stroopwafel Anonymous meetings with you.
    This is some sort of pyramid scheme.
    I'm not getting involved.

I know! I saw them!

You guys just want me to get hooked on them so I'll end up having to attend the Stroopwafel Anonymous meetings with you.
    This is some sort of pyramid scheme.
    I'm not getting involved.
    You know you want some.

Come to the dark side.

We have Stroopwafels.

I don't need a freakin TV but according to this topic I am missing out on some neon deliciousness. Which I must say sounds about as appetizing as the complete lack of meat and vegetables in the dish. Needless to say, I eat cheese fondue, which may be more or less the same thing but with bread, more cheese and lots of wine.. Which makes it that much better IMO.
    I get the deluxe version instead of the powdered stuff, and I stir it into chili con carne. Plenty of meat, and serious comfort food.
    Real, good chili mac is da bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I get the deluxe version instead of the powdered stuff, and I stir it into chili con carne. Plenty of meat, and serious comfort food.
    Real, good chili mac is da bomb!
    I'll see if they sell it here... I never look in the aisles with ready-made and packaged stuff. I generally just buy fresh stuff, 9/10 times I make my own pasta. But I'll have a look to see if they got anything like it in the supermarket here, should be fun. Those aisles are popular with most people. They will buy a box that says "Farmers omelet with onion and leek", then it says on the box you have to add your own eggs, onions and leek. Fun stuff, I'm not even sure what's actually in the box.

"I am a bird"

I'll see if they sell it here... I never look in the aisles with ready-made and packaged stuff. I generally just buy fresh stuff, 9/10 times I make my own pasta. But I'll have a look to see if they got anything like it in the supermarket here, should be fun. Those aisles are popular with most people. They will buy a box that says "Farmers omelet with onion and leek", then it says on the box you have to add your own eggs, onions and leek. Fun stuff, I'm not even sure what's actually in the box.

If I'm honest, most of the time I make chili mac anymore, I'll get the hand-made from scratch Mac & Cheese at the deli counter, and I handmade about 8 gallons worth of chili that I pressure canned. :-D

Sam's must have a warehouse full of original Kraft Mac & Cheese dinners packages. I'm still working off the last of my institutional sized 12-pack.

Maybe by then I can finally try out the new improved(so called) version.

FWIW, my understanding is that Canadians are really bonkers for the stuff.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 03-11-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast