Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New study claims Dr. Seuss and his books are racist

Exclamation New study claims Dr. Seuss and his books are racist

New study claims Dr. Seuss and his books are racist

https://www.thecollegefix.com/new-st...ks-are-racist/

COLLEGE FIX STAFF •FEBRUARY 27, 2019

His work included overwhelmingly white characters, study says

Dr. Seuss is generally known as a beloved author of children’s books. His works have spawned numerous spin-offs, movies and television shows. His plots have been praised as highlighting the absurdity of human nature and calling on people to be better versions of themselves.

But a study published this month claims his work is racist, and it joins a growing chorus of voices deeming the iconic author problematic.

The study is titled “The Cat is Out of the Bag: Orientalism, Anti-Blackness and White Supremacy in Dr. Seuss’s Children’s Books.”

It is co-authored by Katie Ishizuka of the The Conscious Kid Library and Ramón Stephens, a PhD student in education at the University of California, San Diego. They describe themselves as “critical race scholar-activists.”

The two interpreted the late author’s works as “dehumanizing and degrading” to “Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC), and people from other marginalized groups (including Jewish people and Muslims),” largely because non-white characters were illustrated in stereotypical fashions, they argued.

They also claimed the books included “white savior” heroes as well as dehumanized characters of color. The study found Seuss (whose real name was Theodore Seuss Geisel) published “anti-Black and anti-Semitic cartoons” and “sexist depictions of women.”

Seuss, who died in 1991 at the age of 87, also controversially showed support for the internment of Japanese citizens during World War II.

The study addresses that by noting:

Horton Hears a Who! is one of Dr. Seuss’ books widely cited as promoting tolerance. Several Seuss scholars infer that the Whos symbolize the Japanese and that the book is an apology for his anti-Japanese WWII propaganda. Dartmouth professor and Seuss biographer Donald Pease calls Horton Hears A Who! ‘an explicit act of recantation of the caricatures of the Japanese that he had constructed’… However, Seuss never issued an actual, explicit, or direct apology or recantation of his anti-Japanese propaganda or the calls he made to ‘kill Japs!’

The study also found that Seuss’s work on children’s stories was problematic because he did not sufficiently represent people of color. Only 2 percent of Seuss’s characters were people of color, it states, continuing:

White supremacy is seen through the centering of Whiteness and White characters, who comprise 98% (2,195 characters) of all characters. Notably, every character of color is male. Males of color are only presented in subservient, exotified, or dehumanized roles. This also remains true in their relation to White characters. Most startling is the complete invisibility and absence of women and girls of color across Seuss’ entire children’s book collection.

It may be only a matter of time before reading works like “The Cat in the Hat” and “The Sneetches” to children is no longer acceptable.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Funny, during the 1960s and 70s it was conservatives excoriating Dr. Suess for promulgating leftist themes and ideology.
    Last edited by CCTelander; 03-09-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

One of my regrets is I have never gotten to try a star bellied sneetch recipe
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    Funny, during the 1960s and 70s it was conservatives excoriating Dr. Suess for promulgating leftist themes and ideology.
    Oh, there's no doubt that some do...certainly books like "The Lorax" have a heavy handed political message to them.

Sort of the point I suppose...mostly what he's being excoriated for are cartoons and drawings form the 30s and WWII era.

Only goes to prove that no amount of enlightened "wokeness" will atone for something said or drawn previously.

And anybody who reads those books will be labeled racist as well.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Everything is racist according to progressive revisionists.

"Study"
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

A new study clearly shows that these people and their University are full fledged Cucks;

''...Katie Ishizuka of the The Conscious Kid Library and Ramón Stephens, a PhD student in education at the University of California, San Diego.''

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So have they also banned this book?

I still have it in my library from when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

I remember that one... deja vu.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

It isn't that he is racist, its that his books are children's books, and widely read. Their ideological content is insufficient for--and aged out of--the new day, and thus the books must be retired and replaced with more time-appropriate ideological content. When I read this brouhaha about Seuss, to who I've no particular affection, I see the accusations but in them I read: "Dr. Seuss, thank you for your service. It's nothing personal, you understand." The racist accusations are merely pretext for his replacement by time-appropriate ideological content.

If parents and kindergarten teachers are reading Dr. Seuss to their kids, you know what they aren't reading? I Am Jazz or Daddy, Papa, and Me, or Not My Idea (LGTB propaganda, same, and white privilege propaganda aimed at kiddos-- results of a quick google search)

I don't care about that, but I do like to share why I think certain things happen. I should also say that when I say propaganda I do not mean to imply that the ideas in those books are necessarily toxic, simply that they seek to 'propagate' a specific idea. If I had children there is NO WAY IN HELL they'd wind up at a 'modern' public school. Homeschool, private tutors, or $#@!ing bust and die childless (which looks to be more and more the case every day). I do not to see any qualitative difference between ignorance per-se and ignorance-by-curriculum. Which seems to be the rule in American schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post

Reported.

Human Rights Council SWAT is on the way.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Yet Suess was an unabashed anti racist, interventionist and leftist...but that doesn't matter to today's New Jacobins.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dr. Seus pushing allied war propaganda, f**k that guy. I made a mistake of seeing the Dr. Seus movie with danny Devito in it and it was straight up environmentalist propaganda. Since that day, I have stayed off everything Dr. Seus.

Btw the study were done by lowly Ph.D students. Millions of studies are done by Ph.D students over the years and I am sure with new and interesting topics running out, u will find more people trying study area that haven't been studied before. This is probably the same reason why band names are starting to sound silly as time progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Dr. Seus pushing allied war propaganda, f**k that guy. I made a mistake of seeing the Dr. Seus movie with danny Devito in it and it was straight up environmentalist propaganda. Since that day, I have stayed off everything Dr. Seus.
    Yes, I mentioned that already, it was called "The Lorax". That's kind of my point, that the left eats its own.

Btw the study were done by lowly Ph.D students. Millions of studies are done by Ph.D students over the years and I am sure with new and interesting topics running out, u will find more people trying study area that haven't been studied before. This is probably the same reason why band names are starting to sound silly as time progresses.
    There is no limit to the mining that can take place by digging up old relics and judging them by a standard that didn't exist decades ago.

Was also kind of my point, so I'm glad you're paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yes, I mentioned that already, it was called "The Lorax". That's kind of my point, that the left eats its own.

There is no limit to the mining that can take place by digging up old relics and judging them by a standard that didn't exist decades ago.

Was also kind of my point, so I'm glad you're paying attention.
    But is that really "the left" eating their own? its some PhD student. Maybe they did the paper to troll the left, who knows why they did it but there is no evidence that the establishment left who really runs the left is about to start eating their own. I truly look forward to the day the establishment left and their minions start to eat their own.

I am paying attention alright, the only problem is that this is a result of many colleges having more PhD positions for social sciences(gender, race and other cultural studies) and more people going to colleges. Eventually, they would run of interesting topics to write papers on. More old relics to be dug up in order to be edgying, entertaining and stand out from the crowd.

The fact that we are posting this article and making news about it only encourages more students to try harder. Expect more of this srt of news in the next coming years.

Annnddd, they're gone.

6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/us/dr...rnd/index.html

Insanity. You know, kids don't see things the way these idiots do. They don't see a character in a cartoon and think that people in real life are like that character or that the character is a representation of a group of people. Kids look at these characters as individual characters. If they look, act, or talk a certain way, that's unique to the specific character.

It's only racists that look at these things and say that because this specific character is portrayed badly, that it means that anyone that looks like this character is being portrayed badly. How could you get more racist?!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Old news diversion. Biden is far more racists than Dr. Seuss.

ETA:

Banned Dr. Seuss Books Already Selling For Hundreds Of Dollars On Ebay
    https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...ops+to+zero%29

https://www.ebay.com/itm/On-Beyond-Z...QAAOSwUNZgPo8E

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Seuss-On....c100010.m2109
    Last edited by donnay; 03-02-2021 at 01:31 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Ban Dr Seuss

Even his name sounds racist
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Flashback to Michelle Obama reading Dr. Seuss to kids back in 2015:

"Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    It's only racists that look at these things and say that because this specific character is portrayed badly, that it means that anyone that looks like this character is being portrayed badly. How could you get more racist?!
    You can't.

And it makes no sense.

And it's counter intuitive.

But you see, that's what's supposed to be and do.

The whole point of all this is to make you doubt your own sanity, to remove the very idea of objective truth so as to paralyze you with FUD.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You can't.

And it makes no sense.

And it's counter intuitive.

But you see, that's what's supposed to be and do.

The whole point of all this is to make you doubt your own sanity, to remove the very idea of objective truth so as to paralyze you with FUD.
    This. 100%. Right is wrong, wrong is right. Up is down and down is up. To the point that you loathe to speak your thoughts, express you opinions, without being excoriated and singled out for shaming.

I was informed today by a young black professor who appeared on Hannity that Dr. Seuss is responsible for the so called “rise in hate crimes against Asians”. Assuming that there actually is a rise in hate crimes against Asians, it’s incredible that the perps in the crimes that do occur were inspired by Dr. Seuss. Is there some kind of retro Dr. Seuss mania among young black (often mentally ill) criminals?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Insanity. You know, kids don't see things the way these idiots do. They don't see a character in a cartoon and think that people in real life are like that character or that the character is a representation of a group of people. Kids look at these characters as individual characters. If they look, act, or talk a certain way, that's unique to the specific character.
    That is exactly the problem. The minds of kids (and everyone else) must be broken and reshaped so that they always look at everything through the lens of race, gender, or whatever other "intersectional" categories happen to be to the advantage of the Woke in terms of giving them more power and control.

"The question is not 'did racism take place?' but rather, 'how did racism manifest in this situation?'" -- Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    That is exactly the problem. The minds of kids (and everyone else) must be broken and reshaped so that they always look at everything through the lens of race, gender, or whatever other "intersectional" categories happen to be to the advantage of the Woke in terms of giving them more power and control.

"The question is not 'did racism take place?' but rather, 'how did racism manifest in this situation?'" -- Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility
    Think about how irrational that is. Should Captain Hook be removed from Peter Pan because it portrays handicapped people as evil? Hannibal Lecter was a middle-aged white guy - shall we consider it a commentary that middle-aged white guys are cannibals?? Emperor Palpatine was a decrepit old politician - does that mean all decrepit old politicians are the embodiment of the dark side??

Eh, maybe that last one is a bad example.

The point is that "characters" by their very definition are distinctive to an individual.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Hannibal Lecter was a middle-aged white guy - shall we consider it a commentary that middle-aged white guys are cannibals??
    I was thinking about this the other day. There is no way The Silence Of The Lambs could be made today. Remember the villain Buffulo Bill? He had gender dysphoria, was denied a sex change operation, and was killing women to cut off their body parts and make himself a suit. The LGBTQIA community got mad at J.K. Rowling for simply writing a book where the villain, who was not transgender, dressed up as a woman as a disguise which is something that actually happened recently in real life. Also the real life man who inspired Hannibal Lecter was a gay Mexican Doctor. While that wasn't brought out (no pun intended) in the film it is strongly hinted at in the TV show.. So someone could say Hannibal was "straight washed" and "white washed." And imagine if Trump had said "even some of the doctors Mexico is sending over are cannibals."
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I was informed today by a young black professor who appeared on Hannity that Dr. Seuss is responsible for the so called “rise in hate crimes against Asians”. Assuming that there actually is a rise in hate crimes against Asians, it’s incredible that the perps in the crimes that do occur were inspired by Dr. Seuss. Is there some kind of retro Dr. Seuss mania among young black (often mentally ill) criminals?
    I honestly don't know if this is satire or not at this rate, but I did notice via an article that the violence on Asians is being blamed on white supremacy or something like that, despite the FACTS that blacks are committing these heinous crimes on them.

Unfortunately, stupid people will cling to this notion just because the television says so.

On the note of Seuss, I've been reading a lot of comments saying this isn't censorship because the Seuss Estate is the one who initiated the study and made the efforts. Yea, whatever.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast