Thread: Individualism vs Collectivism in 2018.

Individualism vs Collectivism in 2018.

Individualism was a no brainer in 2008. Not sure what I think a decade later.

I recently had a kid. He has blue eyes and blonde hair. He's a minority. Whites are a minority in the under 10 age group. Every time I go on twitter, or facebook, or reddit, or basically anywhere, I'm reminded about how whites are not allowed to have a cultural identity, and should be ashamed of their past. I'm really struggling with individualism.

How yall holding up?
    Last edited by brandon; 09-14-2018 at 11:02 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post

In 2018 political power and personal significance seems to be entirely derived by either the gender or ethnic group you belong to.

I recently had a kid. He has blue eyes and blonde hair. He's a minority. Whites are a minority in the under 10 age group. Every time I go on twitter, or facebook, or reddit, or basically anywhere, I'm reminded about how whites are not allowed to have a cultural identity, and should be ashamed of their past. I'm really struggling with individualism.

How yall holding up?
    There has always been a small place for "collectivism" in politics, citizens vs. foreigners for instance, there is much more room for "collectivism" as you move down the scale from the country to your own immediate family.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    There has always been a small place for "collectivism" in politics, citizens vs. foreigners for instance, there is much more room for "collectivism" as you move down the scale from the country to your own immediate family.
    Yeah. My issue is that so many other groups have organized along collective lines. Jews, women, blacks.... they all have their own political interest groups. And they all are trying to take down the white man. How do I raise my white son as an individual in a society that has organized along gender-ethno lines to take down the whiteman?
    Last edited by brandon; 09-14-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Yeah. My issue is that so many other groups have organized along collective lines. Jews, women, blacks.... they all have their own political interest groups. And they all are trying to take down the white man. How do I raise my white son as an individual in a society that has organized along gender-ethno lines to take down the whiteman?
    By teaching him to work with anyone who is on the right side of an issue, if the issue is protecting himself from those who target him because of his skin color he may find himself working with people who place more emphasis on skin color than he does, but unless they call for hurting those with different skin color he shouldn't let accusations of racism deter him from working with them, most people are wrong about one or more issues so we must work with almost anyone in order to get the right thing done.
    Survival is slightly more important than liberty so if things get worse he may end up having to work with anyone who doesn't want to kill him.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

There are toxic and healthy strains of both individualism and collectivism. Individuals and collectives are symbiotic. The "individual" as libertarians understand it is not some building block of a collective, but instead emerges from the group under certain specific circumstances. Unhealthy collectives breed unhealthy individuals and vice-versa. Progressivism is a perfect example. It's an ideology takes radical, atomistic individualism to the point of believing that all social categories must be deconstructed at the whim of a single person and combines it with totalitarian fealty to the ideologically pure progressive collective.

In short, the way libertarians classically understand this dichotomy is false.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

How yall holding up?
    Ya trolling us?

Your sig line says:

Waiting for the day the classical liberals drive the hateful alt-right out of the republican party, and the libertarians can rise again.
    What you just wrote is considered the epitome of "hateful alt right" talk, and would get you fired from most major corporations.

How yall holding up?
    I am feeling pretty good . I have never struggled with individualism . Sadly , it was my teachers in school that had a hard time grasping that I was going to do what I wanted .
    Do something Danke