Thread: 'Roseanne' revival offers more nostalgia than laughs

'Roseanne' revival offers more nostalgia than laughs

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/27/enter...iew/index.html

March 28, 2018 by Brian Lowry

Thirty years have passed since "Roseanne" burst onto the scene, which makes it ripe fodder for nostalgia. Yet ABC's revival quickly moves past the kick of seeing the gang back together, going out of its way to awkwardly embrace politics. While the title character's cackle has been a big part of the promo campaign, the likelihood of viewers drowning that out with laughter of their own appears slim.

There's nothing wrong with the notion that Roseanne Barr's eponymous blue-collar character would support President Trump, as the comic herself has off screen. But "Roseanne" seemingly veers out of its lane to gin up that dialogue, placing Roseanne at odds with her sister Jackie (Laurie Metcalf, who probably wishes this wasn't the first place people see her after her Oscar-nominated turn in "Lady Bird").
    Like everything else about the show, the politics thus feel more abrasive than clever. The one-liners fly fast and furiously, naturally, as the Conners deal with more mundane problems, such as their grown-up kids and grandchildren -- Darlene (Sara Gilbert) is conveniently forced to move in with them -- while glossing over that little matter of Dan (John Goodman) having, you know, died.
    The producers are more creative regarding the fact that two different actresses (Lecy Goranson, Sarah Chalke) played the couple's older daughter, Becky, although frankly, that sort of inventiveness is in distinctly short supply.
    Roseanne gradually became a handful for ABC by making star-sized demands when the show became an unexpected hit, discarding producers during the show's heyday as if they were temporary Christmas help. This time, executives have handed her the keys to the kingdom from the get-go, clearly hoping the name alone would do most of the heavy lifting ratings-wise.
    That might work initially, as "Will & Grace" has for NBC, and with CBS planning a "Murphy Brown" revival. Still, the result here is a show that should conjure a few smiles among those content to see the renewed interplay of the characters, but which exhibits none of the creative spark necessary to invigorate a comeback that transparently exists because the cast was willing and the network desperate to make some noise.
    Notably, "Roseanne" is just one of three new sitcoms ABC is introducing the same week, and while the others don't have three decades of history in their corner, the concepts do possess a retro flavor.
    Adapted from a Danish series, "Splitting Up Together" feels like an ABC sitcom from the 1990s, about a couple ("The Office's" Jenna Fischer, Oliver Hudson) that grows closer after their divorce.
    As romantic comedies go, it's a perfectly durable (if familiar) concept, the problem being that while there's a movie in it, as a series, the teasing-out process feels strained after only a couple episodes.
    "Alex, Inc.," meanwhile, stars Zach Braff ("Scrubs"), who doubles as one of the producers, as a guy who chucks his career as a radio producer to pursue his dream of launching a podcast company, where he intends to tell "stories that matter."
    Based on Alex Blumberg's podcast "Startup," the word "podcast" is about the only thing that makes "Alex, Inc." feel like a 21st-century enterprise, from the title character's adorable yet precocious sitcom children to his supportive if understandably concerned wife (Tiya Sircar). The show also features "The Sopranos'" Michael Imperioli as Alex's peculiar cousin, who assists him with the fledgling enterprise.
    As one of the centerpieces of ABC's spring hopes, "Roseanne" does figure to benefit from a built-in curiosity factor. But while there's always some excitement in reuniting an old band, this one mostly winds up belting out a tune equivalent to Roseanne's legendary version of the Star-Spangled Banner.
    "Roseanne" premieres March 27 at 8 p.m. on ABC. "Splitting Up Together" and "Alex, Inc." premiere on March 27 and March 28, respectively.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Didn't enjoy that show the first time around.

Wife was watching DVR of the first episode - I was present, but not fully committed. Still - I'm fairly sure I got the gist of it all.

1. Trans-genderish child
    2. Homosexualality
    3. Trump vs Hillary
    4. There are kids in the house, hide the gun
    5. Surrogate "conception"
    6. Nobody has money
    7. Obamacare-somethin or other (but they didnt call it obamacare)
    8. Interracial family
    9. (DJ?) coming back from war in Syria

Its as though the writers were given a list of every single hot-button issue for the last decade plus and were told to write an episode. I personally have no issues with any of those topics beyond the fact that its clear to me they are being overly manipulative. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Still, I think John Goodman is freakin awesome. I'm not much on the show, but I think the fact he was willing to do the show speaks to his character. I hope he doesn't end up regretting it... Maybe the writers should take a few puffs before they start pounding on the keyboard. Wait! That's probably the next episode! The trans gender kid is going to smoke reefer that he purchases from his cash strapped aunt! Holy sh!t, I should write sitcoms for a living.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

The original show was a masterpiece.

And the remake picked right up where they left it, superb.

If you're under 35 or so you may not appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Wife was watching DVR of the first episode - I was present, but not fully committed. Still - I'm fairly sure I got the gist of it all.

1. Trans-genderish child
    2. Homosexualality
    3. Trump vs Hillary
    6. Nobody has money
    8. Interracial family

Its as though the writers were given a list of every single hot-button issue for the last decade plus and were told to write an episode. I personally have no issues with any of those topics beyond the fact that its clear to me they are being overly manipulative. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Still, I think John Goodman is freakin awesome. I'm not much on the show, but I think the fact he was willing to do the show speaks to his character. I hope he doesn't end up regretting it... Maybe the writers should take a few puffs before they start pounding on the keyboard. Wait! That's probably the next episode! The trans gender kid is going to smoke reefer that he purchases from his cash strapped aunt! Holy sh!t, I should write sitcoms for a living.
    How else do you condition a society to be more inclusive to transformers. Even people like Bradley Manning can be a transformer. News anchors can be transformers too, They got people thinking the Obamas were transfomers.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    How else do you condition a society to be more inclusive to transformers. Even people like Bradley Manning can be a transformer. News anchors can be transformers too, They got people thinking the Obamas were transfomers.
    Yea, I dont appreciate the manipulation. Funny enough, I've seen 2 trannies in the last 20 years - 1 at church, and one at an auto repair shop. Both times they looked ridiculous, but nobody whooped their ass. They have a right to wear whatever they like, or pretend to be whoever they want, but social acceptance is not a right. This whole tranny thing is a power play - it has nothing to do with compassion for the trans genders.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Yea, I dont appreciate the manipulation. Funny enough, I've seen 2 trannies in the last 20 years - 1 at church, and one at an auto repair shop. Both times they looked ridiculous, but nobody whooped their ass. They have a right to wear whatever they like, or pretend to be whoever they want, but social acceptance is not a right. This whole tranny thing is a power play - it has nothing to do with compassion for the trans genders.
    Yeah there is a deeper conditioning going on to change what it means to be human, you can only guess what they are trying to achieve. Who knows what Ron Paul on steroids will do next, I can't wait to find out what happens next

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess I'll have to check it out. I was pretty happy with the Fuller House revival. That show was 90% nostalgia and 10% good comedy, but still not bad.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Don't care. Remember when the Dems loved her and Republicans hated her? And now the Republicans love her and the Democrats hate her. Lol. She is a comedienne.

What we need to do is make a network called "Cancelled" and broadcast it on the internet.

So far we got The Cosby Show, Roseanne, what else??
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Don't care. Remember when the Dems loved her and Republicans hated her? And now the Republicans love her and the Democrats hate her. Lol. She is a comedienne.
    Republicans hated her because of the National Anthem thingy, not so much over policy.

The Apprentice, North Korea Summit Show...
    Nah, that wouldn't work because neither were cancelled.

Freaks and Geeks would be good, but man, a lot of shows were cancelled because of ratings or whatever. This is more along the lines of getting cancelled because the MSM got some sand in their vagina.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What we need to do is make a network called "Cancelled" and broadcast it on the internet.

Ya got a winna! kick-start it.

I thought there would be at least 2-3 seasons before the revival got cancelled.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

1. Trans-genderish child
    2. Homosexualality
    3. Trump vs Hillary
    6. Nobody has money
    8. Interracial family

Every show now needs at least one interracial and one gay couple otherwise they're not inclusive
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Get a Life

I loved that show but it got cancelled after two seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Nah, that wouldn't work because neither were cancelled.
    I know, was J/K.

But be nice to have Cancel studio and music label created also for all the actors, musicians blacklisted due to their political views.

Part of transcript of video interview:

Host: Do you think celebrities, actors, musicians are afraid to speak out against Israel because then their career will be "destroyed" ?
    Roseanne Barr: Yes I do think he's right about that and I think that's a damn good thing too.
    [audience claps]

Hollywood Studios blacklist Penelope Cruz over Gaza genocide letter
    August 9 2014
    Pledges to shun the Spanish actors – believed to have been made privately by a handful of top industry executives – came after Bardem and Cruz, who are married, signed an open letter denouncing “the genocide perpetrated by the Israeli occupation army”.

Part of transcript of video interview:

Host: Do you think celebrities, actors, musicians are afraid to speak out against Israel because then their career will be "destroyed" ?
    Roseanne Barr: Yes I do think he's right about that and I think that's a damn good thing too.
    [audience claps]
    Don't go talking sense now; we have to love her because Trump said a good thing about her and also because she said mean things about The People We Don't Like (Slightly darker edition and very dark edition) and that makes her a brave hero of the culture war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Don't go talking sense now; we have to love her because Trump said a good thing about her and also because she said mean things about The People We Don't Like (Slightly darker edition and very dark edition) and that makes her a brave hero of the culture war.
    ^^^Said Nobody Here^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    The original show was a masterpiece.

And the remake picked right up where they left it, superb.

If you're under 35 or so you may not appreciate it.

This must be a very difficult time for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Get a Life

Yeah. I liked that a lot too. The comedy was very experimental. I thought half the shows totally bombed. The other half were some of the funniest things ever-- infact I was saying wtf more than laughing, it was so out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I am probably darker than Valerie Jarret.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Yeah. I liked that a lot too. The comedy was very experimental. I thought half the shows totally bombed. The other half were some of the funniest things ever-- infact I was saying wtf more than laughing, it was so out there.
    When my sons were little I used to tell them I was going to send them to the Handsome Boys Modeling School. I searched for years for that tv show on vhs but I couldn't find it anywhere. Apparently, there were so many songs in it, they couldn't get all the rights to sell it on video. That's what I heard, anyway. Luckily, they're all on Youtube now.

Roman Pug noses are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Get a Life

I had to look to see if that show was the one I thought it was... and it was. loved that show.