Thread: Trade War Expanding? Now talking about adding India and Vietnam

Trade War Expanding? Now talking about adding India and Vietnam

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...ina-2019-06-26

Trump threatens Vietnam, which has been benefiting from U.S. tariffs on China

One of the critiques of the Trump administration’s tariff policy on China is that while it raises the cost of doing business in one low-cost country, it just pushes multinationals to do business in another.

Some evidence has emerged that companies have taken business elsewhere after the 25% tariffs imposed on $200 billion of Chinese goods. According to data from UBS, the first $50 billion of Chinese goods subject to the 25% tariff rate saw a 30% nosedise in exports, and the market share of Chinese exports saw the biggest decline in years.

While the Chinese market share of U.S. imports between October and March dropped by 1.7 percentage points, Mexico’s rose by a half point, and Vietnam’s gained by almost the same, according to the UBS data.

Now, President Donald Trump is saying he might go after Vietnam, as well.

In an interview with Maria Bartiromo on Fox Business Network, Trump replied that the Southeast Asian country is in the cross-hairs of U.S. trade policy. Also read:Trump says this is his ‘Plan B’ if China-U.S. trade talks collapse

“Well, a lot of companies are moving to Vietnam, but Vietnam takes advantage of us even worse than China,” Trump said.

According to the U.S. Trade Representative, the U.S. imported $47.8 billion of Vietnamese goods and services last year, while it exported $10.5 billion’s worth.

Asked bluntly if he wants to “tariff” Vietnam, Trump did not say no.

“Well, we’re in discussions with Vietnam. Vietnam is almost the single worst – much smaller than China, much, but it’s almost the single worst abuser of everybody,” eliciting a “wow” from his interviewer.

Trump did acknowledge that Vietnam was a large buyer of West Virginian coal, “which makes me happy.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anyone waging trade warfare against us.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

He also criticized Germany and Japan today. US took away "favored nation" trading status from India which added tariff to their exports to us. India responded with tariffs of their own. Trump didn't like that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48782197

Donald Trump hits out at 'unacceptable' India tariffs

US President Donald Trump has called new Indian tariffs on US products "unacceptable" and demanded that they be withdrawn.

India imposed retaliatory tariffs on 28 US products earlier in June, after the US announced it was withdrawing India's preferential trade treatment.

Mr Trump's criticism came a day after the two sides had downplayed tensions.

He is due to meet Mr Modi on the sidelines of the G20 summit, which begins on 28 June in Osaka, Japan.

Shortly before leaving for Japan, the US president told reporters on the White House lawn that he would be meeting leaders from different countries, "many of whom have been taking advantage of the United States - but not anymore".

Mr Trump's tweet appeared to contradict a joint statement made by India's External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and visiting US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday.

It said that "even great friends had differences,"
    in what was seen as an attempt to downplay tensions.

US-India bilateral trade was worth $142bn (£111bn) in 2018, a sevenfold increase since 2001, according to US figures.

But $5.6bn worth of Indian exports - previously duty-free in the US - will be hit since the country lost preferential treatment under America's Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) - a scheme that allows some goods to enter the US duty-free.

Trade tensions have been simmering between the two countries. Last year, India retaliated against US tariff hikes on aluminium and steel by raising its own import duties on a range of goods.

Mr Trump has also threatened to impose sanctions if India purchases oil from Iran and goes ahead with plans to buy Russian S-400 anti-aircraft missiles.

I look forward to speaking with Prime Minister Modi about the fact that India, for years having put very high Tariffs against the United States, just recently increased the Tariffs even further. This is unacceptable and the Tariffs must be withdrawn!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 27, 2019

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    I look forward to speaking with Prime Minister Modi about the fact that India, for years having put very high Tariffs against the United States, just recently increased the Tariffs even further. This is unacceptable and the Tariffs must be withdrawn!
    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 27, 2019
    Only Trump is allowed to impose tariffs! (and that tweet was included in my post already).

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Only Trump is allowed to impose tariffs! (and that tweet was included in my post already).
    They had tariffs on us first, you seem to think that only foreign countries are allowed to have tariffs.
    And the entire tweet including the fact that they had tariffs on us first isn't in your posts.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

They had tariffs on us first, you seem to think that only foreign countries are allowed to have tariffs.
    And the entire tweet including the fact that they had tariffs on us first isn't in your posts.
    Actually their tariffs were in response to Trump putting tariffs on them. They had "favored trading partner" status which let them avoid tariffs on $25 billion worth of goods. Trump revoked that status which meant India was now subject to tariffs on those goods so in response they put tariffs on US goods. He started it.

But I don't expect much more from you than cliches from the guidebook.

Actually their tariffs were in response to Trump putting tariffs on them. They had "favored trading partner" status which let them avoid tariffs on $25 billion worth of goods. Trump revoked that status which meant India was now subject to tariffs on those goods so in response they put tariffs on US goods. He started it.
    No, they had tariffs on us before that, that's why Trump put some on them, just like China.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48650505

India announces retaliatory trade tariffs against the US

India has said that, from Sunday, it will impose tariffs on 28 US products, including almonds and apples.

The new duties, some as high as 70%, are in response to Washington's refusal to exempt Delhi from higher taxes on steel and aluminium imports.

Earlier this month, US President Trump also announced the US was withdrawing India's preferential trade treatment.

Tariffs of up to 120% were announced by India in June last year, but trade talks had delayed their implementation.

In an announcement on Friday, India's Ministry of Finance said the decision was in the "public interest".

An earlier list had also listed a 29th item - artemia, a type of shrimp - but this was removed.

US-India bilateral trade was worth $142bn (£111bn) in 2018, a sevenfold increase since 2001, according to US figures.

But $5.6n worth of Indian exports - previously duty-free in the US - will be hit now the country has lost preferential treatment under America's Generalized System of Preferences (GSP).

The move is the latest push by the Trump administration to redress what it considers to be unfair trading relationships with other countries.

Tensions have since been rising between the two countries. Last year, India retaliated against US tariff hikes on aluminium and steel by raising its own import duties on a range of goods.

President Trump has also threatened to impose sanctions if India purchases oil from Iran and if it goes ahead with plans to buy Russian S-400 anti-aircraft missiles.

The latest tariffs from India come just days before country's Foreign Minister, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, is due to meet his US counterpart, Mike Pompeo, at a G20 summit in Japan. Mr Trump and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi are also expected to hold talks.

You don't get it Zippy.

This is high level strategery, like MAD in the cold war, except here the goal is to actually destroy everyone.

Yes, the new ones are a response to Trump, just like Trump's are a response to the old ones.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Genius war strategery. Open up more fronts before you win the old fronts.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    Genius war strategery. Open up more fronts before you win the old fronts.
    In this case we will do better the more fronts we open up.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

In this case we will do better the more fronts we open up.
    Worked well for Germany in WWII.

Worked well for Germany in WWII.
    Different kinds of wars require different strategies.
    When you are bleeding out of many cuts you will do better with each one you bandage.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

When you are bleeding out of many cuts you will do better with each one you bandage.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-28-2019 at 04:15 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When you are bleeding out of many cuts you should stop cutting yourself.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    When you are bleeding out of many cuts you should stop cutting yourself.
    Yes, we have been cutting ourselves for years but now Trump has stopped that and is applying bandages.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Why would india get favored nation status in the first place ? @TheTexan should not India and Nam be trading with us how we want ?
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Why would india get favored nation status in the first place ? @TheTexan should not India and Nam be trading with us how we want ?
    Vietnam can trade. But only because they still owe us for everything we did for them.

India, no way. That entire region should be banned from any kind of trade, especially call centers and/or tech support.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I am outraged. Whatever will we do without importing cheap plastic garbage manufactured in third world countries? Isn't that the American dream?
    "Only after disaster can we be resurrected."

Heil Honkler!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
    I am outraged. Whatever will we do without importing cheap plastic garbage manufactured in third world countries? Isn't that the American dream?
    I guess I quit smoking then. For team USA USA.

Those overseas cheap lighters made out of plastic and metal parts, flint and have butane in them are typically a buck, free with a carton of smokes... nothing but paper and tobacco cigarettes made right here in Amerika are almost 10 bucks a pack. Once mandated minimum wage and super duper high taxes hit those lighters made in USA, I’d be looking at around $30 for a disposable. Because, you know, politicians know best and have to regulate what light bulbs and toilets I can put in my home that I built.

I guess for “team USA” we can all go broke together. It is good to help politicians out who have my best interest at heart and folks always unionizing to tell business owners how to run their business.

Quitting smoking... now @Anti Federalist and I are really going to be at each other’s throats!
    Last edited by PAF; 06-29-2019 at 06:27 AM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post

Those overseas cheap lighters made out of plastic and metal parts, flint and have butane in them are typically a buck, free with a carton of smokes... nothing but paper and tobacco cigarettes made right here in Amerika are almost 10 bucks a pack. Once mandated minimum wage and super duper high taxes hit those lighters made in USA, I’d be looking at around $30 for a disposable. Because, you know, politicians know best and have to regulate what light bulbs and toilets I can put in my home that I built.

I guess for “team USA” we can all go broke together. It is good to help politicians out who have my best interest at heart and folks always unionizing to tell business owners how to run their business.

Quitting smoking... now @Anti Federalist and I are really going to be at each other’s throats!
    Or you could get a zippo.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Yeah...... I guess

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Make in America, not subject to tariffs, lasts a lifetime.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Anyone waging trade warfare against us.
    You mean anyone that we engage in trade with, since tariffs are the cover story for the dollar devaluation that is occurring as the dollar unit is being dumped as global reserve. Any country that we trade with will be a "target" in the headlines for this reason. Every last one of them. Can't export our monetary inflation to other countries anymore...
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

You misunderstood me @PAF

I'm not at your throat...I'm not at anybody's throat here...I don't even have any animosity towards Zippy...I know that, even if in heated disagreement about how to get there, we all want more freedom and less government.

Well, with the exception of Zippy perhaps...but he's a fun foil.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Roll you own! I pay $7 a carton for pure tobacco smokes. Buy a Powermatic II for $75 on Amazon, go to your local tobacco store or buy the supplies online. A box of 250 Shargio filter tubes is $3. A pound of NC tobacco called The Good Stuff is $13. One pound of loose tobacco equals about 600 cigarettes. So three boxes of filters, one pound of The Good Stuff, enough for three cartons of QUALITY smokes is a grand total of $22, plus the one time machine cost. It's basically American Spirits for $7 a carton. You're welcome
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You misunderstood me @PAF

I'm not at your throat...I'm not at anybody's throat here...I don't even have any animosity towards Zippy...I know that, even if in heated disagreement about how to get there, we all want more freedom and less government.

Well, with the exception of Zippy perhaps...but he's a fun foil.

BULLSH|T, that’s what you say now. You know as well as I do that if we quit the smokes heads are going to f$;@&$(-/ roll!
    @devil21 is right on, I used to roll them all the time but as cheap as it was to diy I smoked 3 times as much. My beef is not getting FREE stuff (foreign lighters) anymore!