Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul BLOCKS Mike Lee's immigration bill

Rand Paul BLOCKS Mike Lee's immigration bill

Conservative senator blocks Mike Lee-Kamala Harris immigration reform bill

SALT LAKE CITY — A fellow conservative Republican dealt a blow to Sen. Mike Lee’s nearly nine-year effort to end what he calls a “Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley-era” aspect of federal immigration law.

The Utah Republican said it was “greatly disappointing" that Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul’s objection Thursday blocked his bill to end per-country caps on employment-based green cards from advancing by unanimous consent.

It only takes one objection under Senate rules to stop a request for unanimous consent to bring legislation forward.

Lee said an amendment Paul proposed would not be compatible with his bipartisan legislation and cause it to fail.

"This is by far the closest we have ever come to having a deal, and we’ve achieved that deal by keeping this bill focused on the very things this legislation deals with," Lee said. "We have an opportunity to pass this. This could pass this body right now."

Lee and Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., introduced the Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act in February, an issue Lee has worked on since being elected to the Senate in 2010. He called it an "important point of common ground" between Republicans and Democrats who can't agree on how to fix the country's immigration system.

Under current law, "rigid, arbitrary, antiquated, outdated" quotas limit immigrants in any given country to no more than 7 percent of the total number of visas allocated, Lee said on the Senate floor.

As a result, immigrants from nations with large populations have significantly longer wait times to get a green card than do immigrants from smaller countries.

"In some cases, they can be stuck in a backlog of green card petitions for decades," Lee said, calling the system "unfair" and "un-American."

"This is one of the many features of Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley-era immigration code that is outdated and needs to be cast into the dustbin of history," he said.

The bill would increase the per-country caps for family-sponsored green cards from 7% to 15%. Without adding any new green cards, it creates a first-come, first-served system that alleviates the backlogs and allows green cards to be awarded more efficiently, according to Lee.
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...l-blocked.html

Are you happy that Rand blocked his friends bill?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is entirely consistent for Rand or Thomas Massie or Justin Amash to make sure that bills are not passed by unanimous consent and are instead voted upon. It's about being on record and accountability.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    It is entirely consistent for Rand or Thomas Massie or Justin Amash to make sure that bills are not passed by unanimous consent and are instead voted upon. It's about being on record and accountability.
    In the article Brian it says Rand offered an amendment which would cause the bill to fail.

As a result, immigrants from nations with large populations have significantly longer wait times to get a green card than do immigrants from smaller countries.
    I.e. India and China. As Apu from The Simpson's famously said, "America is dangerously underpopulated". As an Indian programmer I once knew said to a Native American Indian, "you may have lost America, but don't worry, Indians will take it back."
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 07-01-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    In the article Brian it says Rand offered an amendment which would cause the bill to fail.
    You never know unless there is an actual vote.

Since most of the “news” sites continue to refrain from publishing bill numbers/links:

Fairness for High Skilled Immigrants Act

https://www.scribd.com/document/3991...NAL#from_embed

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

What was in that amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post
    What was in that amendment?
    If it would cause the bill to fail, then it was probably legalization of kitten kicking.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But I thought diversity was our strength? If it is, then then caps strengthen us by increasing diversity.

As big tech takes over our elections its probably good that we let foreigners come here and work for big tech while we simultaneously get rid of all of the employees that are politically to the right of Obama. What could possibri go wong?

“Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley-era”

Truly one of the darkest times in our history. Back before we were blessed with easy access to tacos and cheap heroin and didn't even have the comfort of living in a multicultural, militarized police state.

And we had to listen to lame, wholesome white music like this:

Instead of cool, culturally enriching music like this:

It was horrible.
    "Only after disaster can we be resurrected."

Heil Honkler!

So the gist is that Mike Lee and Kamala Harris want more H1B immigrants (as Trump also has promised) but Rand blocked the bill.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    So the gist is that Mike Lee and Kamala Harris want more H1B immigrants (as Trump also has promised) but Rand blocked the bill.
    Rand wants more H1B visas too. So if he really wanted to block the bill (which is not necessarily the case), it was for another reason.

Rand wants more H1B visas too. So if he really wanted to block the bill (which is not necessarily the case), it was for another reason.
    What are you even implying? That Rand wants more H1B visas and that's why he wants his amendment added that wouldn't pass or that he wants people to be on record to vote on his amendment that would not pass or that he thinks that his amendment would pass even though Mike Lee says it wouldnt pass?

Rand wants more H1B visas too. ...
    That’s like, your opinion, man. Source and context?

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    What are you even implying? That Rand wants more H1B visas and that's why he wants his amendment added that wouldn't pass or that he wants people to be on record to vote on his amendment that would not pass or that he thinks that his amendment would pass even though Mike Lee says it wouldnt pass?
    No. I don't know what was in the amendment or why he offered it, which was why I asked.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand Paul is the only person standing up for us in Washington. Imagine if he wasn't there.. they would double H1B Visa's from India. It would be devastating to the tech workforce.

As Apu from The Simpson's famously said, "America is dangerously underpopulated".
    All aboard!

That’s like, your opinion, man. Source and context?
    It's not an opinion. And it's not a new or unknown factoid. We've talked about it here before. The anti-H1B crowd has criticized him for it. Maybe you were among them, I don't know.

Here he is listed as a cosponsor for the 2017 version of this bill. I'm not sure what the differences between that iteration and this one are, or if that might explain why Rand offered whatever amendment he did. But regardless, it was definitely a bill to increase H1B visas.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...281/cosponsors

In a plan that he laid out in 2013 he said, "High tech visas would also be expanded and have a priority."
    https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/b...0cHDP2fLLepfO/

Here he is in 2018 calling for a doubling of EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, EB-4, and EB-5 visas (not the same thing I know, but similar, and consistent with wanting more H1Bs).
    https://diyatvusa.com/2018/02/25/exc...en-card-limbo/

Rand Paul is the only person standing up for us in Washington. Imagine if he wasn't there.. they would double H1B Visa's from India. It would be devastating to the tech workforce.
    Are you under the impression that Rand doesn't support doubling H1B Visas from India?

Are you happy that Rand blocked his friends bill?
    Yes.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

It's not an opinion. And it's not a new or unknown factoid. We've talked about it here before. The anti-H1B crowd has criticized him for it. Maybe you were among them, I don't know.
    In a plan that he laid out in 2013 he said, "High tech visas would also be expanded and have a priority."
    https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/b...0cHDP2fLLepfO/
    So the context is a speech to some Hispanic organization, as evidenced by Rand speaking Spanish so much. I would like to hear Rand’s current opinion on visas and how many there should be, as opposed to a 2013 stump speech.

So the context is a speech to some Hispanic organization, as evidenced by Rand speaking Spanish so much. I would like to hear Rand’s current opinion on visas and how many there should be, as opposed to a 2013 stump speech.
    The bill he cosponsored in 2017 would "eliminate the per country numerical limitation for employment-based immigrants."

ETA: I just noticed that the 2019 version of the bill that the OP is talking about actually doesn't include that provision. I wonder if putting that back in what Rand's amendment was. That would be consistent with his longstanding support for increasing legal immigration.
    Last edited by Superfluous Man; 07-01-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    All aboard!

If it’s good enough for cities like San Francisco and London, then it’s good enough for the entire US! When they say “please watch your step”, they are not talking about getting on the train...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it’s good enough for cities like San Francisco and London, then it’s good enough for the entire US! When they say “please watch your step”, they are not talking about getting on the train...
    Is that the corpes that were floating down the Ganges?

Context is always important with Rands talking points, I don't pretend to know what his opinion on immigration is but based on being his number 1 stalker I gather that he tends to argue for immigration reform that is more discriminate or biased towards skilled and educated people versus uneducated and unskilled and people that have gained skills and education here should be ahead of people who want to immigrate here who are unskilled or uneducated.

Definitely need a roll call vote to see who else opposes Elvis, Buddy Holly & Rand. Get the un-American slimeballs on the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

All aboard!

Climate change is just natures thermostat that controls population. If man can manipulate the thermostat for political gain than its more likely designed to either drastically reduce the population or force people to adapt to a climate that is less tolerable. You already see this in places like China where millions of people die from their poisonous air. In a large enough time scale and population people can adapt drastically.

Poorly written article.

Rand didn't block the bill, he simply forced it to be voted on instead of moving forward by unanimous consent. Article needs additional, and more accurate details.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Is that the corpes that were floating down the Ganges?
    Floating or laying on the sidewalk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast