View Poll Results: If you were POTUS, would you take a senate conviction to pardon Assange?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 80.00%
  • No

3 20.00%

Thread: If you were POTUS, would you take a senate conviction to pardon Assange?

If you were POTUS, would you take a senate conviction to pardon Assange?

Tucker Carlson confirmed Mcconnell threatened to convict Trump if he pardoned Assange.

Assange did recently beat extradition, with this knowledge and if you were POTUS, would you have gone through with the pardon or even taken the chance? No LARPing in the poll.

A conviction means criminal civilian charges, judgement, and punishment according to law.

"Donald John Trump engaged in high Crimes and Misdemeanors by inciting violence against the Government of the United States,"
    Last edited by eleganz; 01-20-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    If I were an elected official, and followed my oath of office and the Constitution, then being impeached and convicted wouldn’t be an issue. Then I’d pardon Assange and Snowden.

And ruin my otherwise flawless legacy?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Tucker Carlson confirmed Mcconnell threatened to convict Trump if he pardoned Assange.

Assange did recently beat extradition, with this knowledge and if you were POTUS, would you have gone through with the pardon or even taken the chance?

History is important, at least to some

The Buffoon used Wikileaks when it helped him, then threw them under the Presidential Bus

This is what you get when the only thing that matters is "winning" - whatever that means.

And when a cheap 2 bit low-life piece of white trash in a $5,000 suit pretends to be somebody

At least America's Billionaires were enriched

And the MIC

Trump should have definitely sacrificed running for office again just to pardon Assange.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

If I was potus I wouldnt have to risk a senate conviction . I would let them know , hey I am going to pardon this guy . If nobody voices any dissent I wont come around ay dawn and scalp you alive some day .

Assange did recently beat extradition, with this knowledge and if you were POTUS, would you have gone through with the pardon or even taken the chance? No LARPing in the poll.

A conviction means criminal civilian charges, judgement, and punishment according to law.
    Are you sure that an impeachment trial conviction means criminal charges?

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Are you sure that an impeachment trial conviction means criminal charges?
    There is no precedent but yes once convicted, you can be tried as a civilian.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And you can be tried as a civilian even if you are not convicted on impeachment. The one thing has nothing to do with the other.

If there are any "civilian" charges that can be brought against Trump, then they can be brought against him regardless of whether he was convicted on impeachment.
    (IOW: Not having been convicted on impeachment does not confer any kind of immunity from "civilian" charges.)

And if there are not any "civilian" charges that can be brought against Trump, then being convicted on impeachment won't change that.

Like "general welfare", "high crimes and misdemeanors" is just another vague, mealy-mouthed, waffle-worded phrase that can be made to mean or refer to whatever anyone wants it to mean or refer to.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

What makes you think he couldn't be tried as a civilian even if he isn't convicted by the senate? There is a reason Ford pardoned Nixon even though Nixon was never impeached.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Out in the open and “confirmed”? How often is that the full and accurate story?

Never underestimate threats in politics. Ask Judge Nap or Ross Perot. That could be one of many threats. “Youse gots a nice family there, be a shame to see somethin’ happen to them.” “That sex tape of Ivanka/Melania might just come out.” “It’d be terrible if Don Jr./Eric went to prison for tax evasion.”
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If I was potus I wouldnt have to risk a senate conviction . I would let them know , hey I am going to pardon this guy . If nobody voices any dissent I wont come around ay dawn and scalp you alive some day .
    Trump could certainly issue counter threats: “I’d hate to see someone with a lot of influence and money campaign against you next time around.”
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Trump could certainly issue counter threats: “I’d hate to see someone with a lot of influence and money campaign against you next time around.”
    Trump left office like a castrated man. Greenwald's description of him was apt.

The US Senate has no jurisdiction over President Trump since he became a private citizen by Noon today. Since the US Senate cannot convict Trump on the Articles of Impeachment, they cannot bar him from running for office again.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    What makes you think he couldn't be tried as a civilian even if he isn't convicted by the senate? There is a reason Ford pardoned Nixon even though Nixon was never impeached.
    This.

The Marxists are not going to stop today and just let Trump walk away.

This will end with Trump in jail or dead.

That said, I would have pardoned a whole $#@! ton of people, including Assange and Snowden.

As far as Turtleman is concerned, $#@! him.

Here's hoping the Marxist mob skins him alive.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Quote Originally Posted by BSWPaulsen View Post
    Trump left office like a castrated man. Greenwald's description of him was apt.
    The Marxists didn't get a complete victory, he was not perp-walked out in chains.

That's coming though.

The Marxist Attorney General in NY state will have him in jail within a year or two.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This.

That said, I would have pardoned a whole $#@! ton of people, including Assange and Snowden.

I have a feeling they will not make a martyr of him. It would be one of the few ways to get some people to actually do something. Instead, they will employ rhetoric claiming a willingness to do something or that something could be done about Trump. This approach has already proven effective as Trump has shown the fight has entirely fled him. If the left is prudent, then they will keep boiling that frog slowly.

They will not have us where they want us until they have curtailed access to weapons and ammunition. That is the holy of holies.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This.

I was speaking merely of the legal ramifications of impeachment. I wasn't speaking of the motivation of the dems. That said I doubt they want to make Trump a martyr when he's such a good poster child for Marxism himself. But who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by BSWPaulsen View Post
    I have a feeling they will not make a martyr of him. It would be one of the few ways to get some people to actually do something. Instead, they will employ rhetoric claiming a willingness to do something or that something could be done about Trump. This approach has already proven effective as Trump has shown the fight has entirely fled him. If the left is prudent, then they will keep boiling that frog slowly.

They will not have us where they want us until they have curtailed access to weapons and ammunition. That is the holy of holies.
    ^This.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Why do you assume that he cared about Assange in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

If the only thing between the freedom and the gallows is Mitch, I would expect the gallows.

No it doesn't.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.
    (US Constitution, Article 1 Section 3)

Senate conviction only entails removal from office and disqualification from holding any office in the future.

Senate conviction would not relieve Trump from the potential to be tried for the same crimes and convicted in a court afterwards. But it doesn't entail that. And that could still happen anyway, whether the Senate convicts or not.