Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Picking Pence As Running Mate

What makes this thread surreal is that Pence, as bad as he is, is not nearly as bad as Trump has always been.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Shouldn't the VP pick help your chances of winning instead of hinder, not that Trump has any semblance of a realistic chance. I doubt the people on the fence or Independents who are uncertain about Trump aren't going to swing his way in light of looking at Pence, particularly with all the controversy coming out of Indiana over the past year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Pence is a boring non-entity that the public doesn't know and the media has little interest in.
    What in the world are you talking about?

Definitely will be voting Constitution Party this year in lieu of this pick. Not as disappointing as Christie or Gingrich, but terrible nonetheless.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Shouldn't the VP pick help your chances of winning instead of hinder, not that Trump has any semblance of a realistic chance. I doubt the people on the fence or Independents who are uncertain about Trump aren't going to swing his way in light of looking at Pence, particularly with all the controversy coming out of Indiana over the past year or so.
    The people who will swing his way because of this are a lot of those conservatives who supported Cruz and might have stayed home on election day.

If Trump can manage to pull even a below average amount of support for a Republican candidate without expanding on that support, that might still be enough to beat a Democrat opponent who's as horrible as Hillary is.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Pence is a boring non-entity that the public doesn't know and the media has little interest in.
    He's using that as his reasoning for considering the choice of this horrible confirmed neocon as a strategic move designed to bring Trump yuge electoral success.

Believe it or not.

See if this is more clear: Trump has to pick someone his neocon masters approve of, so he picked a neocon no one has heard of in hopes that his establishment-weary supporters won't notice they're getting played.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 07-14-2016 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

The people who will swing his way because of this are a lot of those conservatives who supported Cruz and might have stayed home on election day.

If Trump can manage to pull even a below average amount of support for a Republican candidate without expanding on that support, that might still be enough to beat a Democrat opponent who's as horrible as Hillary is.
    On social issues, not that Pence was great, but he'd probably be eviscerated for the religious liberty stuff alone.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Mike Pence is a globalist NeoCon. He supported the United Nations, and the Export-Import Bank in Congress. And of course he supported NDAA military detention, the Patriot Act, the Iraq War, presidential overreach in Libya etc.
    You've got it all wrong. He has been anointed with the midas touch of the Trump, and tanned orange by the blinding light of liberty.
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    On social issues, not that Pence was great, but he'd probably be eviscerated for the religious liberty stuff alone.
    I see Pence as the epitome of the three legs of conservatism as most die-hard Republicans define it: fiscally conservative (to the degree that a mainstream Republican can be, and certainly far more than Trump is), socially conservative, and for US worldwide military dominance that is heavily pro-Israel. Most people who like Cruz will like Pence.

I'm sure the independents will rally behind Trump now!!! But as many have said, if he wanted to deliver the Presidency to Clinton, this is an important first step!
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Ann Coulter who has been pro-Trump reflects my sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Coulter via Facebook 2 hrs ago

Report: Trump about to make first mistake in VP pick, as predicted by Ann Coulter, July 6, 2016: MY VP PREDICTION: TRUMP'S FIRST MISTAKE.

I won't believe it, until I hear it from the Trump's mouth. Pence is the combo-platter of disaster. He’s all in for corporate America bringing in as many guest workers as they please to replace American workers, tried to sell the monster amnesty as a "compromise bill." (How about this compromise: We start with a wall...) He also somehow managed to tick off both sides in gay marriage debate. After his state passed a law passed protecting Christians from having to participate in gay marriages, all hell broke loose. Pence thought to himself: 'I have semi heading for me. Should I just stand here? Yes, I think I’ll just stand here!' First, he allowed himself to be portrayed as a right-wing homophobic nut and then -- just days later -- he sold out to the left-wing activists, anyway.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Don't bother explaining to them. Trump supporters are dumb as rocks. They still think he's "anti-establishment."
    Come on, man. Rocks don't vote. Why would you lower rocks to the level of authoritarian forgotten in the bathtub babies?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am more worried about his other picks than the do nothing VP slot. AG SOS.....etc
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    I am more worried about his other picks than the do nothing VP slot. AG SOS.....etc
    Seriously... based on this pick his cabinet might as well be a who's who of neocon trash. Good for liberty, my ass.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Quite right. You should be worried. There's exactly zero reason to believe they'll be one whit better.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Jamesiv1 Predicted this a long time ago.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Hillary-ous! Trump supporters have been giving the L.P. ticket hell for it's choice of V.P.. Just...Lolz.

I mean he is boring. Few Americans know him, and the media will have no interest covering him. Trump realizes that he has an advantage over Hillary in nearly every facet of the race. Voters like his policies better, they like him better, and all he has to do to win this thing is not screw up by doing or saying something crazy over the next few months. Conversely, Hillary's only hope is that Trump and his team DO commit some blunder and she is able to successfully demagogue it.

Christie or Newt are high profile guys with huge egos that might well give Hillary that crazy or controversial sound bite she's looking for. Flynn is a straight shooter with no political experience and you could easily see him making a huge mistake too. Pence is boring, experienced politician unlikely to say anything off script. And he's so uninteresting to the public and press that in the odd event he did say something interesting, there's a good chance nobody would be around to cover it anyway.

It is the 4th Quarter, Trump has the lead, and now he's just trying to run out the clock. Pence is the perfect pick for that. Objectionable to no one, boring, disciplined, and sure to be forgotten by next week and play little to no role in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Hillary-ous! Trump supporters have been giving the L.P. ticket hell for it's choice of V.P.. Just...Lolz.
    The LP blew it this cycle. Gary Johnson=Hillary Clinton.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Because once you fall for the con, you can't allow your mind to believe you have actually been conned. So, when evidence is presented, you will ignore either it or twist it in your own mind to keep yourself from feeling foolish
    It reminds me of the Bob Dylan song How Does it Feel.

You used to ride on your chrome horse with your diplomat
    Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
    Ain't it hard when you discover that
    He really wasn't where it's at
    After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And he's so uninteresting to the public and press that in the odd event he did say something interesting, there's a good chance nobody would be around to cover it anyway.

It is the 4th Quarter, Trump has the lead, and now he's just trying to run out the clock. Pence is the perfect pick for that. Objectionable to no one, boring, disciplined, and sure to be forgotten by next week and play little to no role in the campaign.
    ^the only good thing I can think of picking Pence.

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    I did not have faith he would pick a decent running mate. I hoped he would make a better strategic choice but like I said if Rand were the nominee I expect he would probably have done the same to kiss the ring of the establishment to get their approval. We saw Rand do this during the campaign which killed his chances you would think with Trump's sucess beating 17 candidates he would not make the same mistake.
    The establishment may certainly use the same tactic on Trump now. They push for concession, and then when that concession comes, they can have others label him a sell-out to alienate the anti-establishment base. It's what they did to Rand.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Pence is the perfect pick for that. Objectionable to no one...
    ...who isn't on the Trumpwagon because he was playing anti-establishment. In other words, the only people who could possibly object to him are Trump's supporters.

Just the usual GOP bait-and-switch. Candidate promises one thing, gets nominated, turns into a monster, and tells Republicans too late, you nominated me and you're stuck with me.

Five times Pence broke with Trump

Donald Trump and Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, who reports say will be named Trump's running mate on Friday, haven't always seen eye-to-eye on policy.

Pence endorsed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) in Indiana's primary, and he criticized Trump's proposal for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the U.S.

“Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional,” Pence tweeted the day that Trump made the announcement.

Pence is apparently standing by his opposition to the ban, though he hasn’t let that get in the way of giving his full-throated support of Trump.

"Look, I served in Congress for 12 years, I’ve been governor for three and a half years,” he said to reporters this week, according to ABC.

“I haven’t agreed with every one of my Republican colleagues or Democratic colleagues on every issue. But I’m supporting Donald Trump because we need change in this country," he said. "I believe he represents the kind of strong leadership at home and abroad that will, to borrow a phrase, make America great again."

Trump [sic] is also a supporter of free trade and has backed the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal supported by President Obama and Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.).

“Trade means jobs, but trade also means security. The time has come for all of us to urge the swift adoption of the Trans Pacific Partnership,” he wrote on Twitter.

Trump has been one of the most outspoken critics of international trade deals throughout the campaign and has called the TPP a “rape of our country.”

Pence's support for Cruz was notable, though in his endorsement he also offered praise for Trump, saying he had given “voice to the frustration of millions of working Americans with a lack of progress in Washington, D.C."

Trump responded by saying it sounded like Pence was only ostensibly supporting Cruz to appease “special interests.”

"If you really take a look at Mike Pence, I think he gave me more of an endorsement than Ted Cruz,” Trump said in a Fox News interview at the time. “His donors and special interests obviously made him give an endorsement.”

Pence endorsed Trump exactly a week later, following Cruz’s exit from the race in the wake of his Hoosier State loss.

The two also differed on the 2008 Wall Street bailout, or Troubled Asset Relief Program. Trump offered tepid support of it at the time, saying he didn't know if it would be sufficient to alleviate the recession but that it was "worth a shot."
    "I'm not sure that it's going to work. You know, it is trial and error. This is very complicated. This is more complicated than sending rockets to the moon," he said in an interview with CNN at the time, according to Politifact.

"Nobody really knows what impact it's going to have. Maybe it works, and maybe it doesn't. But certainly it is worth a shot. I don't love the idea that the government's buying back all the bad loans. How about some of the good loans? You know? I don't like the idea that the government, frankly, is going to be negotiating with people to sell those loans, because maybe we'd be better off having the best bankers in the world do that."

Pence, meanwhile, was one of the most outspoken critic of TARP among House Republicans, questioning the urgency of the need to address the financial crisis.

"I must tell you, there are those in the public debate who have said that we must act now. The last time I heard that, I was on a used-car lot," Pence said at the time, according to CNN.

"The truth is, every time somebody tells you that you've got to do the deal right now, it usually means they're going to get the better part of the deal," said Pence, who voted against the TARP.

Pence also voted to invade Iraq in 2003 when he was a member of the House, while Trump claims that he was against the war from the very beginning, though some interviews he gave at the time seem to contradict that.

Trump has repeatedly slammed likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton for backing the invasion.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...-on-the-issues
    Last edited by CPUd; 07-14-2016 at 02:07 PM.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    ^the only good thing I can think of picking Pence.
    Exciting VP picks are for people who are desperate (like McCain in 08). Bush went boring with Cheney. Obama went even more boring with Biden. Pence is probably the most boring of all.

Boring may be boring, but boring wins. If it is second and goal from the one yard line in the Superbowl and you have Marshawn Lynch in the backfield, you run the ball three times. Passing would be more exciting, but increases the chances of something unexpected taking place.

This is a boring, uninspired pick that will excite no one. But it also gives Hillary no avenue for attack. Trump is ground and pounding his way to the White House.

But, but...Trump has no chance of winning, right? ...why are all the Hillary supporters up in arms about this?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The establishment may certainly use the same tactic on Trump now. They push for concession, and then when that concession comes, they can have others label him a sell-out to alienate the anti-establishment base. It's what they did to Rand.
    Yep, that is exactly what they will do. They will celebrate the choice now and in a few weeks time or whatever the next feign outrage is go back to echoing the HRC campaign-Progressive campaign rhetoric against Trump which will give Hillary the edge she needs in the polls.

Exciting VP picks are for people who are desperate (like McCain in 08). Bush went boring with Cheney. Obama went even more boring with Biden. Pence is probably the most boring of all.

Boring may be boring, but boring wins. If it is second and goal from the one yard line in the Superbowl and you have Marshawn Lynch in the backfield, you run the ball three times. Passing would be more exciting, but increases the chances of something unexpected taking place.

This is a boring, uninspired pick that will excite no one. But it also gives Hillary no avenue for attack. Trump is ground and pounding his way to the White House.
    Uh huh.

Trump is anti-establishment, all the neocons hate him, they'll do anything to stop him, this is the revolution, he's going to end the imperialism and he's scaring the crap out of the globalists. So, he's going to pick a major neocon and proven globalist, and we're all going to sit here and talk about how boring he is, and no one is the least bit worried--least of all the man himself--about Trump getting shot.

Sure, your jigsaw puzzle all fits together very nicely. If you use a big enough hammer on it.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What makes this thread surreal is that Pence, as bad as he is, is not nearly as bad as Trump has always been.
    Johnson & Pence are starting to look better to me compared to Clinton , Obummer , Biden , Trump , Kerry ,Gore etc . I wonder why he did not take the Gov of Ohio ? He has to get Ohio and has little chance .....

We shall see. Trump may not pick Newt or Pence. He may just be manipulating the media once again.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic