Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian vegan faces 10 yrs for giving slaughter house pigs water on hot day

I get that some people really want to rip their hearts out after hearing about how awesome some animals are. Pigs are smart, cows are pretty smart too. But animals are animals, and especially in a production driven world, they are assets and always have been, and always will be. I don't disagree that pigs are cool, but bacon is bacon and I love bacon. All this is just to say don't mess with my bacon.
    No - No - No - No

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Not exactly.

Pigs are at least as smart as 3 yr old kids.

Some fun facts:
    Pigs taste good, never BBQd a 3 yr. old.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Pigs taste good, never BBQd a 3 yr. old.
    Not enough meat on the bone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    I get that some people really want to rip their hearts out after hearing about how awesome some animals are. Pigs are smart, cows are pretty smart too. But animals are animals, and especially in a production driven world, they are assets and always have been, and always will be. I don't disagree that pigs are cool, but bacon is bacon and I love bacon. All this is just to say don't mess with my bacon.
    That last sentence I think pinpoints what all this boils down to. People just don't want to give up eating meat. I was the same way, so I get it.

But when I really started looking at it and doing the research, it was easy to make the decision.

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hate videos like that.

@lilymc What about fish? Didn't you say earlier you also gave up fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I hate videos like that.
    I know, right? It's beyond horrible and I can barely stand to watch it.

Thing is, many people purposely avoid looking at footage like that. So it's like a head in the sand type of thing.

What got me was watching some vegan videos (about other topics) where they snuck that footage in there with no warning whatsoever. That way you don't have the chance to avoid it, all of a sudden you're watching it. And that's when the question comes, how can I pay for something that I can't even stand to watch and that I couldn't do myself with my own hands?
    Last edited by lilymc; 09-09-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

@lilymc What about fish? Didn't you say earlier you also gave up fish?
    Earlier I said that since I went plant-based, I've had seafood a few times, but I think I'm going to stop that too... Especially with the pollution in the water and the mercury, etc. Like I said before, I don't call myself a vegan. Why do you ask?

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Earlier I said that since I went plant-based, I've had seafood a few times, but I think I'm going to stop that too... Especially with the pollution in the water and the mercury, etc. Like I said before, I don't call myself a vegan. Why do you ask?
    Was just curious. I make killer bacon wrapped bluefish.

What pollution? I think the ocean is so well filtered by the sheer volume of water - and it's not like it sits still- the water is flowing constantly. I can see not eating fish out of a river right next to a chemical plant. Or small creeks where there are sewage spills- but I'm not sure that the fear of "polluted" water really holds water.

I can understand giving up beef, but fish is so good for you. I think it's part of a normal natural human diet.
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    All animals?
    Yes.

There is a Survivor Camp that puts people out in the wilderness for a few weeks learning all the tricks of staying alive.

Toward the end, everyone is given a sheep to take care of. At the end of the last week, everyone must personally kill their sheep, ready it for storage and cooking, skin it, etc. This is devastating because people have learned to love their sheep. Many hearts break doing this.

What is learned is to respect the animals that give their life for you and to be grateful.

After this experience you never look at sheep/cattle/pigs etc as consumer products. They are gifts and they have given their lives for your well-being.
    There is no spoon.

Yes.

There is a Survivor Camp that puts people out in the wilderness for a few weeks learning all the tricks of staying alive.

Toward the end, everyone is given a sheep to take care of. At the end of the last week, everyone must personally kill their sheep, ready it for storage and cooking, skin it, etc. This is devastating because people have learned to love their sheep. Many hearts break doing this.

What is learned is to respect the animals that give their life for you and to be grateful.

After this experience you never look at sheep/cattle/pigs etc as consumer products. They are gifts and they have given their lives for your well-being.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

What is this country coming to? There was a time when 90% of the meat I ate was either raised, hunted, trapped or caught by me. You learn to care and respect the animal when it feeds you. All this whining on the thread is a first world symptom of decadence. From a hunter/gather point of view it is impossible to live in a temperate climate as a vegan. About all that is in the woods in winter are nuts (like a vegan forum). You'll never meet a vegan Eskimo LOL.

Modern plant farming is just as/ maybe more so damaging to the environment as animal factory farming. Vast areas of wilderness has been stripped for modern farming. Not to mention pesticides, petroleum based ferrtilizers and herbicides that are used. Traditional means of raising food animals has little impact on the environment. My chickens eat the fleas and ticks around my house and convert it to eggs. Poop ferrtilizes my garden naturally. Cattle are raised in areas too hilly or arid for vegetable farming.

I've lived primitively off the land back in the day and occasionally teach wilderness survival skills. I would say our ancestors would cry but I don't think they'd waste any tears on what some of you have become.
    Last edited by RJB; 09-09-2016 at 07:10 PM.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    What is this country coming to? There was a time when 90% of the meat I ate was either raised, hunted, trapped or caught by me. You learn to care and respect the animal when it feeds you. All this whining on the thread is a first world symptom of decadence. From a hunter/gather point of view it is impossible to live in a temperate climate as a vegan. About all that is in the woods at the time are nuts (like a vegan forum). You'll never meet a vegan Eskimo LOL.

Modern plant farming is just as/ maybe more so damaging to the enviroment as animal factory farming. Vast areas of wilderness has been stripped for modern farming. Not to mention pesticides and herbicides that are used. Traditional means of raising food animals has little impact on the enviroment. My chickens eat the fleas and ticks around my house annd convert it to eggs. Cattle are raised in areas to hilly or dry for vegetable farming.

I've lived primitively off the land back in the day and occasionally teach backwoods skills. I would say our ancestors would cry but I don't think they'd waste any tears on what some of you have become.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RJB again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

What is this country coming to? There was a time when 90% of the meat I ate was either raised, hunted, trapped or caught by me. You learn to care and respect the animal when it feeds you. All this whining on the thread is a first world symptom of decadence. From a hunter/gather point of view it is impossible to live in a temperate climate as a vegan. About all that is in the woods in winter are nuts (like a vegan forum). You'll never meet a vegan Eskimo LOL.

Modern plant farming is just as/ maybe more so damaging to the environment as animal factory farming. Vast areas of wilderness has been stripped for modern farming. Not to mention pesticides, petroleum based ferrtilizers and herbicides that are used. Traditional means of raising food animals has little impact on the environment. My chickens eat the fleas and ticks around my house and convert it to eggs. Poop ferrtilizes my garden naturally. Cattle are raised in areas too hilly or arid for vegetable farming.

I've lived primitively off the land back in the day and occasionally teach wilderness survival skills. I would say our ancestors would cry but I don't think they'd waste any tears on what some of you have become.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RJB again.
    COVERED.
    There is no spoon.

From the US Animal Welfare Institute:

Hot Weather Management for Pigs

Hot weather and humidity are deadly to pigs because they do not have functioning sweat glands. Therefore, special precautionary measures must be taken in hot weather conditions.

9. Pigs are very sensitive to heat stress. Problems with heat stress may start to occur at 60°F. (16°C.). At 90°F. (32°C.) death losses almost double compared to 60°F. (16°C.).
    Interesting. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    God gave man dominion over animals.
    Did she whisper that to you in your dreams?

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Maybe its some attempt to make libertarians look stupid
    Maybe some are? I'm sure every party has their share.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Surely an animal lover knows what affect squirting water on captive livestock has on them.............Surely.

So her intentions could never have been "secret".

In fact I'll hold out that the loon was trying to incite swine-ageddon in that transport with the "intention" of having the load refused by the slaughter house..
    Conspiracy theories abound!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    How often do "well meaning" people sacrifice others to achieve their ends?
    You got a point. "Pro-lifers" do that all the time, but we're talking about a water bottle with water, not a water bottle with a bomb hidden inside.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hate videos like that.
    Meet your Meat.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Maybe some are? I'm sure every party has their share.
    Once again you are confusing libertarianism with the libertarian party... and more importantly confusing this msg board with the libertarian party... There is only one common trait to all the members here and that is that they support Ron Paul. In order to have supported Ron Paul especially back in the day one really had to be an intelligent, critical thinker, going against the brainwashed masses of both the left and right political realms...

Some are probably vegan.. some are probably heavy meat eaters.. But nobody really cares because nobody tries to force their beliefs on others..
    Most of us embrace the tenets of libertarianism also known as classical liberal back in Jefferson's day. Many of us believe in voluntaryism too.

As to the people who have come here in later years and/or who are not sincere supporters of Ron Paul, I cannot tell you whether theyre dumb or not.

What pollution? I think the ocean is so well filtered by the sheer volume of water - and it's not like it sits still- the water is flowing constantly. I can see not eating fish out of a river right next to a chemical plant. Or small creeks where there are sewage spills- but I'm not sure that the fear of "polluted" water really holds water.
    There are studies that showed from samples of fish that heavy metals like mercury were higher than the acceptable level in an alarming amount of fish. I'll look for the links later and post if I find them.

I can understand giving up beef, but fish is so good for you. I think it's part of a normal natural human diet.
    You can join the discussion in the Health section where I'll show you fish aren't healthy. They, like other meat, or just good at not letting people starve.

Become what?

Chester Copperpot

There are studies that showed from samples of fish that heavy metals like mercury were higher than the acceptable level in an alarming amount of fish. I'll look for the links later and post if I find them.

You can join the discussion in the Health section where I'll show you fish aren't healthy. They, like other meat, or just good at not letting people starve.
    small fish low on the food chain are fine... sardines, herring, pilchards etc... Once again you seem to be misleading people because youre more concerned about forcing your beliefs on them... You are doing a disservice to people each time you do that.

Meet your Meat.
    My friend, I was killing for food when I was 10. You don't know jack squat nothing about meeting meat.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-09-2016 at 08:03 PM.

Become what?
    Look in the mirror. Seriously, look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    small fish low on the food chain are fine... sardines, herring, pilchards etc... Once again you seem to be misleading people because youre more concerned about forcing your beliefs on them... You are doing a disservice to people each time you do that.
    Reserve this for the Health section. And everyone has an opinion.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's time for farreri to go. farreri is only being annoying now. Annoying like a gnat.

My friend, I was killing for food when I was 10. You don't know jack squat nothing about meeting meat.
    I've shot, killed, skinned, and gutted some animals before. I feel better having the option to pick fruit & vegetables, or harvest starches, but this in neither here nor there for the topic of this thread.

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast