Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA vs GOA?

Question NRA vs GOA?

I was thinking of joining a group that assists in promoting/protecting our right to own guns and I seem to recall a few board members stating that the GOA group was a lot more respectable than the NRA was.

If I am going to be a member that gives them money every year I want to make a smart choice and support the best group.

Thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    GOA

NRA
    Why?

also, I should have asked if there are other groups as well.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    Why?
    http://nrawol.net/

Is all you need to know!

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

www.jpfo.org

Thanks for the reminder - I need to send them more money.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

"GOA is the only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington."
    -Ron Paul
    U.S. Congressman, Texas

That's all I needed!

GOA and JPFO are both awesome.

The NRA has whored itself out.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NRA is like the government, they always need more money and never get anything done.
    they been like around for like 80 years and lets see what our gun rights have become? have they improved or have our right have been taken away?

Virginia Citizens Defense League

also, I should have asked if there are other groups as well.
    You could also support gun rights groups at the State level. Some are very effective lobbyists. I support the Virginia Citizens Defense League: http://vcdl.org/

Goa!
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

Quote Originally Posted by psi2941 View Post
    NRA is like the government, they always need more money and never get anything done.
    they been like around for like 80 years and lets see what our gun rights have become? have they improved or have our right have been taken away?

Oh, just like the government, the NRA has done a GREAT job!!

They're great at running deficits, raising taxes (I mean membership fees) and doing squat with the money.

They're also hell on wheels when it comes to compromising away our Second Amendment rights.

And they hardly ever jump into a political fight unless it's a foregone conclusion they'll be able to declare some sort of "victory" through compromise.

I would definitely concur with Ron Paul's endorsement of the GOA.

I've heard the JPFO is also very good.

NRA? .... eh.

"GOA is the only no-compromise gun lobby in Washington."
    -Ron Paul
    U.S. Congressman, Texas

That's all I needed!
    The GOA is also very kind to liberty candidates with its endorsements. It doesn't care about endorsing the winner, it just wants to endorse the person who will protect the 2A.

Just checked my mail and GOA sent a postcard reminding me to vote Rand Paul on May 18!
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

I wrote them once and told them that the liberty folks who have abandoned the NRA would hold them to high standards.
    I'm convinced they are onboard with us.
    Last edited by catdd; 05-16-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    "Molon Labe"

I love the GOA but I say support both or as many as you can.
    "Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” Barry Goldwater

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm an NRA Life Member. Like the Republican Party, they're desperate for change. Case in point? Look who they endorsed for POTUS in 2008, an anti-gun Republican named John McCain.

Support as many groups as you can. I plan on joining GOA and JPFO soon. I also support the Massachusetts-based GOAL (Gun Owners Action League) and Pro-Gun New Hampshire. So don't overlook state-oriented groups.

Another way to support gun rights is to vote for pro-gun/liberty-minded candidates. And of course, buy as many guns and ammo as your budget comfortably allows. Even a gun a year is good. A gun a month is great. Finally, take as many non-gun owners to the range as possible and convert them.

I'm a member of the JPFO and the GOA and highly recommend them both. I let my NRA membership expire late last year and I don't plan on rejoining them.

- ML

"A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." - Thomas Jefferson's First Inaugural Address, 1801

Quote Originally Posted by AuH2O View Post
    Nice site, I bookmarked it.
    "Molon Labe"

Analogy wise, the NRA is like AIPAC, SPLC, and ADL.
    They "claims" they are pro-American, but work actively trying to attack Americans, their rights, and their desires for national sovereignty.

The NRA also "claims" they are for the second amendment, but they work greatly to undermine legislation that seeks to protect the right to bear arms as outlined in the Constitution.

The GOA however doesn't have that problem. The only organization more principled than the GOA that I know of is Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.

http://www.jpfo.org/

Oh, just like the government, the NRA has done a GREAT job!!

They're great at running deficits, raising taxes (I mean membership fees) and doing squat with the money.

They're also hell on wheels when it comes to compromising away our Second Amendment rights.

And they hardly ever jump into a political fight unless it's a foregone conclusion they'll be able to declare some sort of "victory" through compromise.

I would definitely concur with Ron Paul's endorsement of the GOA.
    yep this is right on. when the GOP got fat, lazy and shallow so did the nra

and Im a benafactor member of the NRA. This months write up by the new president is boring.....gee I wish I could go on expensive africain hunts.......I cant relate to the top brass of the nra. There washingtondc.
    "Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788.
    WWW.APPLESEEDINFO.ORG

Appleseed Project - "Common folks teaching common folks to shoot uncommonly well"

GOA=no compromise
    "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God."--Thomas Jefferson

It's not a competition, join both. Don't be stupid...

No one here can say what would have become of our rights without the continued support of NRA. You can speculate all you want, but it's ridiculous because there is no logical data of "what could have happened" in the absence of an organization that has always been there.

Instead of whining about what the NRA didn't do, look at what YOU didn't do? If you can invest your money better than the NRA can, then don't give it to them. Put your money where your mouth is.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Both. It isn't a zero-sum game.

The NRA catches a lot of crap around here, but I'm very proud to be a lifetime member. The NRA has been in the $#@! for over a hundred years. Never forget that gun rights are more popular now than they have ever been; the NRA was around and fighting when guns were very unpopular.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In fairness to the NRA, they were a target shooting group until after the major gun laws were passed. Started to get political as of the 1968 act, but have tended to hink that having a seat at the table is more important than what happens at the table. The NRA seems to be afraid of fighting for gun rights in court. If the cases go against gun rights, the NRA loses influence, and if the court cases expand gun rights, than the NRA becomes redundant.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    In fairness to the NRA, they were a target shooting group until after the major gun laws were passed. Started to get political as of the 1968 act, but have tended to hink that having a seat at the table is more important than what happens at the table.
    Bull! The NRA went hand in hand with Attorney General Cummings and the New England gun manufacturers and sat across the table and sold out in the original 1934 GCA that ensured the muddying of the waters on the 2nd amendment including weapons of warfare. The only thing they accomplished was preventing rifles and pistols from being registered and taxed as called for in the original draft bill. NRA sold out the Constitution in favor of their target shooters and hunters which paid their way.

Google News Archive is your friend, as is David Hardy's wonderful synopsis on the various iterations of GCA. Fear was what Congress was using in 1934, not unlike today. Gangsters made rich and bold by Prohibition and the adoption of the automobiles which allowed organized to quickly cross jurisdictions.

IMHO, go GOA and JPFO (and SAS if female).

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I am a member of the GOA and have no complaints. Join them, they need the membership more than the NRA. And they will/have put up more of a fight than I suspect the NRA would.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm View Post
    You could also support gun rights groups at the State level. Some are very effective lobbyists. I support the Virginia Citizens Defense League: http://vcdl.org/
    ^this^

State level gun rights organizations are definitely the most effective. Federal level is pretty much a lost cause. Defense of gun rights will be at the state level via 10th amendment, firearms freedom acts, etc, similar to what is happening with marijuana. You should be donating 10x to the state level, than federal, and participating.
    Last edited by madengr; 12-25-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast