Thread: Old Habits = addiction =

Old Habits = addiction =

I personally know an elderly couple that were very overweight and could barely walk. All they did was lay down and sleep. They could not care for themselves. They lost over 40lbs each and were walking 30 minutes 3 times daily. After getting diet, exercise, and activities in place for a healthier lifestyle they wanted to take over for themselves because they could do this themselves. Over a years time, the weight came back and all they wanted to do was stay in bed.

I just heard a friend of mine is in jail. Many years ago he was in a major auto accident, lost an eye, rolled a corvette at high speeds and nearly died. His recovery was very long. He got addicted to opioids. At least that is his story. He ended up becoming a heroin addict. He has been a good friend to me. Ten or so years ago scrap metal was high and he and some family members made a living scraping. That market fell apart. He was hurting for cash. He had been sober for a long time. I help him get situated with decent extremely stable weekly income. I give him a vehicle I had with zero down and monthly payments. He makes payments on time each month. This month no payment no response to phone or texts. I find out he is in jail. Punched his elderly father in the face, and disorderly conduct. Two misdemeanor charges. Guy was clean for a long time. Give him stability and good weekly income and back to the old habits.

Probably no cure for old habits.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    I personally know an elderly couple that were very overweight and could barely walk. All they did was lay down and sleep. They could not care for themselves. They lost over 40lbs each and were walking 30 minutes 3 times daily. After getting diet, exercise, and activities in place for a healthier lifestyle they wanted to take over for themselves because they could do this themselves. Over a years time, the weight came back and all they wanted to do was stay in bed.

I just heard a friend of mine is in jail. Many years ago he was in a major auto accident, lost an eye, rolled a corvette at high speeds and nearly died. His recovery was very long. He got addicted to opioids. At least that is his story. He ended up becoming a heroin addict. He has been a good friend to me. Ten or so years ago scrap metal was high and he and some family members made a living scraping. That market fell apart. He was hurting for cash. He had been sober for a long time. I help him get situated with decent extremely stable weekly income. I give him a vehicle I had with zero down and monthly payments. He makes payments on time each month. This month no payment no response to phone or texts. I find out he is in jail. Punched his elderly father in the face, and disorderly conduct. Two misdemeanor charges. Guy was clean for a long time. Give him stability and good weekly income and back to the old habits.

I don't know that old habits are quite the same as addiction but they certainly do die hard, especially if they are bad habits.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Makes me want a cigarette .
    Do something Danke

Makes me want a Monster Energy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post

There is..
    But it has to be a choice..

and did the man he punched invite such? (the story may be less simple)

I have habits,, and cigarettes might be considered "addiction" but I have quit twice in the past and smoke by choice..

Some things I have no control over at all.

http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

It can also depend on what caused the habit in the first place. If it was a toxic environment or job, then it's no surprise the habit will return or be replaced with another habit if they do leave behind whatever triggered it in the first place.

I think @pcosmar has a point though. Some families can be crazy or have absurd grudges or they like to rub mistakes made into people's faces forever.

Otherwise, some people may have a bad social circle. The person having a steady income might have even got the attention of their lowlife friends. I guess misery loves company and the wrong friends will drag a person down.