Thread: Canadian leftists want to lower the voting age to 8 (no, that's not a typo)

Canadian leftists want to lower the voting age to 8 (no, that's not a typo)

https://twitter.com/DavidSuzukiFDN/s...74334835499008

Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b01d7b5293a8d9

David Suzuki Foundation Launches Satirical Push To Drop Voting Age To 8

A Vancouver-based environmental charity is making a satirical push to lower the voting age to eight to underscore the importance of protecting future generations from the effects of climate change.

The David Suzuki Foundation launched the campaign Monday, dubbed “18 to 8,” with a website calling for voters to listen to young voices and “prioritize a livable climate over all other issues” in this fall’s election.

When you get into the voting booth on October 21, vote with your inner child,” the site reads.

The group has also released a video that, while humorous, shows kids taking to the streets to protest against their extinction. The clip opens with two girls playing patty-cake, asking how many years they “have left.”

“Climate scientists are saying we now have only 12 years left to act if we want to avoid catastrophic damage,” a boy says in the ad, referencing a 2018 report from the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change calling for dramatic action to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

The video also features cameos from several Canadian celebrities, including singers Chantal Kreviazuk, Serena Ryder, and Blue Rodeo’s Jim Cuddy, saying it’s time to “let the kids vote.”

The David Suzuki Foundation said in a release that while the group does not actually want children to vote, they believe adults should vote with the best interests of young people in mind.

“By suggesting eight-year-olds would vote with more wisdom than adults when it comes to prioritizing climate change, we are trying to playfully show that many adults simply are not giving climate change the attention it demands right now,” the foundation’s CEO, Stephen Cornish, said in the release.

The group is also asking Canadians to sign a voter pledge demanding that, among other things, the next government ensures “a livable planet for our children” and implements a climate plan to meet Canada’s international commitments.

Under the Paris climate accord, Canada committed to a 30 per cent cut in emissions from 2005 levels by 2030. Despite the pledge to reduce emissions, the government isn’t doing enough to combat climate change, according to the former environmental commissioner.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-02-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Many insane ideas are first introduced as "jokes" in order to acclimatize people.
    The left is quite seriously pushing to lower the age to 16 right now.
    We have a member here who suggested the idea of allowing 12 year olds to vote in all seriousness.
    If they get any traction at all (or maybe even if they don't) they will make it serious.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Most leftists probably vote like an 8 year old anyway.

Apparently, HuffPo writers & editors don't know what "satirical" means.

What is being satirized?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    David Suzuki Foundation Launches Satirical Fake and Smarmy "It's for the Children" Push to Drop Voting Age to 8
    Fixed it for them.

Although I'm not clear on how that's supposed to be an improvement over it not being fake ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

When I was 8, I had better things to do than vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I do think younger voters should be given an option to pursue a voting license. They would need to prove to the state however that they know how to vote correctly, via exam.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    When I was 8, I had better things to do than vote.
    Better things to do, than vote?

-rep
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Most leftists probably vote like an 8 year old anyway.
    Exactly.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Basically, children are easier to fool trick and brainwash.

On page 75 of their 1990 publication entitled The First Global Revolution, the organization outlined how they would manufacture ecological scares in order to manipulate the public into accepting the imposition of a dictatorial world government run by them.
    “In searching for a common enemy against whom we can unite, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill…. All these dangers are caused by human intervention… The real enemy, then, is humanity itself,” states the report, which can be read in full at the end of this article.
    https://www.infowars.com/group-that-...hes-same-hoax/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    I do think younger voters should be given an option to pursue a voting license. They would need to prove to the state however that they know how to vote correctly, via exam.
    And of course, pay the requisite fee.

As if adults weren't already ignorant and indoctrinated enough as it is, now they should vote as if they were children.

Talk about the "nanny state" ...

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    As if adults weren't already ignorant and indoctrinated enough as it is, now they should vote as if they were children.

Talk about the "nanny state" ...
    They probably see Trump in the US, Boris Johnson in the UK, and the near success of Marine Le Pen in France and figured the adults are starting to reject their indoctrination.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Better things to do, than vote?

-rep
    - - rep for being a loser kid with nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Basically, children are easier to fool trick and brainwash.
    No way you could've tricked me into willing going to school (that was our polling place) and wasting perfectly good playtime voting.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

- - rep for being a loser kid with nothing better to do.

No way you could've tricked me into willing going to school (that was our polling place) and wasting perfectly good playtime voting.
    My last opponent illegally gave sweet potatoes to anyone who said they’d vote for her. Perhaps if they gave out boxes of Franzia “candy” to 8 year old voters it would bring the kiddies to the polls.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes because 8 year olds are up to date with politics and understand the concept behind them.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Yes because 8 year olds are up to date with politics and understand the concept behind them.
    Most grown-ups aren't.

My last opponent illegally gave sweet potatoes to anyone who said they’d vote for her. Perhaps if they gave out boxes of Franzia “candy” to 8 year old voters it would bring the kiddies to the polls.
    1. Who the $#@! would sell their vote for an illegal sweet tater?

2. I wouldn't have taken candy. If I wanted candy, I'd just sneak up to the grocery store and sit under the Brach's display until the manager called my dad to come and get me. I really liked the vanilla chews.

1. Who the $#@! would sell their vote for an illegal sweet tater?
    the same sort of people who voted for Renee Ellmers because she campaigned on being a tea party Constitutionalist.

2. I wouldn't have taken candy. If I wanted candy, I'd just sneak up to the grocery store and sit under the Brach's display until the manager called my dad to come and get me. I really liked the vanilla chews.
    I am sure something could have bribed 8 year old you into showing up. All they’d really have had to do was give your parents like $1000 tax rebate if you voted and they would surely have found a way to bribe you into it.

Most grown-ups aren't.
    ZERO 8 year olds are.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    ZERO 8 year olds are.
    You do realize the story was fake, right?

You do realize the story was fake, right?
    I already told you it is part of pre-conditioning the public, they will use it to make 16 look more reasonable and eventually they will go for 8.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

the same sort of people who voted for Renee Ellmers because she campaigned on being a tea party Constitutionalist.

I am sure something could have bribed 8 year old you into showing up. All they’d really have had to do was give your parents like $1000 tax rebate if you voted and they would surely have found a way to bribe you into it.
    A new bike or a Barbie Dream House but not Franzia candy.

My mother would’ve sold me to them for 1000.00 at that age. I was a frickin terror.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.