Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: I am building a wood fired (pizza) oven.

Don't mud it in.

Metal expands.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Don't mud it in.

Metal expands.
    Yeah I know. That black ropy stuff is in between to cope with expansion. As far as from side to side, not going to fix it, it can move a bit, I don't particularly care about that. Going to fill it with some insulation material. (It's a U shape, open bottom). I'll have to cut a bit of solid insulation to get it to the right height but I've got plenty of scraps of that.
    "I am a bird"

There is this place called Blaze Pizza I just tried recently and it's amazing..

Just over $6 for an 11" personal pan woodfired pizza - all you can top for $8.25 - pretty hard to beat that price. High quality flour, various cheeses and lots of good ingredients including whole roasted garlic, smoked ham, applewood bacon, meatball crumbles, feta, black and kalamata olives, etc.. Can be post-topped with arugula, olive oil and a few other options as well. Classic red sauce, spicy red sauce, creamy garlic sauce..

Yum.

It's made to order, so you choose your dough (regular, high rise, gluten free), then press it out using a machine, then there is a topping bar and they will top it with whatever you want - then they slide it into the oven and it's ready in minutes.

I thought it was a local spot, maybe a couple franchizes, but looks like they are in the hundreds.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    There is this place called Blaze Pizza I just tried recently and it's amazing..

Just over $6 for an 11" personal pan woodfired pizza - all you can top for $8.25 - pretty hard to beat that price. High quality flour, various cheeses and lots of good ingredients including whole roasted garlic, smoked ham, applewood bacon, meatball crumbles, feta, black and kalamata olives, etc.. Can be post-topped with arugula, olive oil and a few other options as well. Classic red sauce, spicy red sauce, creamy garlic sauce..

Yum.

It's made to order, so you choose your dough (regular, high rise, gluten free), then press it out using a machine, then there is a topping bar and they will top it with whatever you want - then they slide it into the oven and it's ready in minutes.

I thought it was a local spot, maybe a couple franchizes, but looks like they are in the hundreds.
    Sounds awful cheap but if you're saying it's good then who am I to doubt your opinion.
    "I am a bird"

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Sounds awful cheap but if you're saying it's good then who am I to doubt your opinion.
    Ya they figured out how to mass-produce it pretty well..

The one I happened to stop into was in a college town - there were 21 hotties standing in line for pizza, plus me and 3 other dudes (the ratio was so ridiculous, I had to actually count...)..so about 16 standing in line to order and 8 waiting on their pizza to cook. They were calling a person to pickup their pizza every 45-75 seconds or so.

One guy's job was to take the dough, put it into a machine press and press it out into a circle with ridged edge, then flour a wooden cutting board and put the dough on that. Then someone takes your order, and your numbered order slip stays with the pizza to be topped.. There were 2 or 3 toppers, one on meats, one on veggies. Then they take the order slip off and put a metal number bracket thing on the pizza to tie to the slip when it comes out of the oven. One guy mans the oven and slides the pizzas around and takes them out when they are done. There were about 8-10 pies in the oven at all times.

The pizza comes out, then the manager finishes up, calls your name, slices it, tops it with the finals and boxes it if you get it to go. I was in and out in probably 12 minutes or so, after standing in line for at least 5 or 7 minutes. I figure they are doing about 50-70 pies/hour...maybe more..
    Last edited by dannno; 05-17-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya they figured out how to mass-produce it pretty well..

The one I happened to stop into was in a college town - there were 21 hotties standing in line for pizza, plus me and 3 other dudes (the ratio was so ridiculous, I had to actually count...)..so about 16 standing in line to order and 8 waiting on their pizza to cook. They were calling a person to pickup their pizza every 45-75 seconds or so.

One guy's job was to take the dough, put it into a machine press and press it out into a circle with ridged edge, then flour a wooden cutting board and put the dough on that. Then someone takes your order, and your numbered order slip stays with the pizza to be topped.. There were 2 or 3 toppers, one on meats, one on veggies. Then they take the order slip off and put a metal number bracket thing on the pizza to tie to the slip when it comes out of the oven. One guy mans the oven and slides the pizzas around and takes them out when they are done. There were about 8-10 pies in the oven at all times.

The pizza comes out, then the manager finishes up, calls your name, slices it, tops it with the finals and boxes it if you get it to go. I was in and out in probably 12 minutes or so, after standing in line for at least 5 or 7 minutes. I figure they are doing about 50-70 pies/hour...maybe more..
    On the other hand, that sounds pretty decent for a chain/franchise...
    "I am a bird"

First chimney arch.... This is pretty easy compared to the other arch. A couple pieces of the black glass/ceramic tape to separate the arches.. Waiting for stuff to dry. Before I can stick some more on.

"I am a bird"

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Anticipate no longer because said arch is finished..
    "I am a bird"

You're just getting started, tying two dissimilar arches together is, er........................Interesting...

You're just getting started, tying two dissimilar arches together is, er........................Interesting...
    They are not tied together... They are next to each other..

The 'dome' and 'chimney' are entirely separate structures. There's about 4mm space and some rope stuff is in between.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 05-19-2016 at 01:10 PM.
    "I am a bird"

They are not tied together... They are next to each other..
    I used poor verbiage...

Cutting the angles to bring dissimilar arches in close enough proximity to one another that a flame retardant membrane may be used to seal them will be interesting..

Better?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I used poor verbiage...

Cutting the angles to bring dissimilar arches in close enough proximity to one another that a flame retardant membrane may be used to seal them will be interesting..

Better?
    That's what the rope stuff is for. Eventually no gasses can escape. I am still considering whether or not to caulk the inside of the joint. I can do that at a later date if I wish. I kept 1/2 inch space between the inside of the chimney area and the ceramic/glass rope/tape stuff.

If you get what I am trying to say. I think I understand what you are trying to say.

And yes, it's my design So we will see if it works.
    "I am a bird"

That's what the rope stuff is for. Eventually no gasses can escape. I am still considering whether or not to caulk the inside of the joint. I can do that at a later date if I wish. I kept 1/2 inch space between the inside of the chimney area and the ceramic/glass rope/tape stuff.

If you get what I am trying to say. I think I understand what you are trying to say.
    I understand.......

Take a side shot, or 17, so others who may find this thread and get inspired will understand....

I understand.......

Take a side shot, or 17, so others who may find this thread and get inspired will understand....
    There you go . If only people would become interested in liberty because they were searching google for pizza ovens... That would be nice.

"I am a bird"

It's been my experience that people who do for themselves appreciate liberty, so could be that building a pizza oven will draw in a few..........

It's been my experience that people who do for themselves appreciate liberty, so could be that building a pizza oven will draw in a few..........
    It would be truly awesome if my small expedition into creativity and craftsmanship propels other people to show an interest in their personal liberty. This, in a nutshell, is why I posted this in 'freedom living'. It seemed to be entirely the appropriate forum... I appreciate how this has become a fun topic without too much focus on the matter at hand.
    "I am a bird"

But, but.........

Whaddabout getting government to build community pizza ovens?

Free pizza for everybody!

Just think of the jobs, concrete, mason, chef, firewood, farmer, rancher the list goes on.........

But, but.........

Whaddabout getting government to build community pizza ovens?

Free pizza for everybody!

Just think of the jobs, concrete, mason, chef, firewood, farmer, rancher the list goes on.........
    I didn't even ask for permission from the government to build this thing (didn't even bother to look if I should). My neighbors probably won't mind some nice pizza's from time to time so that's all the permission I need. (And yes they have been suffering from hours and hours of water cooled masonry saw noise, which is horrible, yet they aren't bothered by that as much as when I have my radio turned on a bit too loud.) When it's finished I'll give em all pizza and everyone is happy.

#completely random: have fun!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=TwdFUon-Y9g
    who knows if this has anything to do with my neighbors not liking my radio.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 05-19-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    "I am a bird"

I understand.......

Also in this shot you can see the tape/rope stuff. One continuous layer on the top/bottom and some stuff in between to fill it up, just because I have more of the stuff. It's self-adhesive tape, about 5mm thick, but it can be compressed a little. I try not to force it down completely but I do push a little so it's tight in between.
    "I am a bird"

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm having pizza in my conventional oven tonight.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I'm having pizza in my conventional oven tonight.
    Did you defrost it yourself ?
    "I am a bird"

Did you defrost it yourself ?
    It's not frozen.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

It's not frozen.
    Well what is it then ?
    "I am a bird"

Well what is it then ?
    Unfrozen pizza.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Unfrozen pizza.
    What's on it, who made it, you know the drill.

Now that I'm thinking about it we are missing @heavenlyboy34 in here...
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 05-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.
    "I am a bird"

Lots of meat on one, the other one is Hawaiian. And I add to them.

http://www.papamurphys.com
    Last edited by Danke; 05-19-2016 at 02:58 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Lots of meat on one, the other one is Hawaiian. And I add to them.

https://www.papamurphys.com
    I don't understand pizza hawaii. It doesn't appeal to me. Lots of meat sounds good though. As long as it's still a pizza and not a meat pie or else you'd be in the wrong topic buddy.
    "I am a bird"

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Now that I'm thinking about it we are missing @heavenlyboy34 in here...
    "We?" Speak for yourself.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

"We?" Speak for yourself.
    I am not allowed to have multiple personalities/identities ? What kind of a libertarian are you ?! If Bruce whatever can be a woman I can be multiple people if I want to, right ?
    "I am a bird"

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast