Thread: Ex-St. Louis Cop Charged With Murder

Ex-St. Louis Cop Charged With Murder

A former St. Louis police officer who allegedly shot 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith while on duty in 2011 has been charged with first-degree murder. Jason Stockley, 35, was arrested Monday at his home in Houston by U.S. Marshals and St. Louis police. He’s held without bail at a jail in Harris County, Texas. “I’m disappointed because I know what fine public servants the vast majority of police officers are, and this kind of conduct on the part of this former officer doesn’t reflect the excellent work I see from them every day,” said Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce, adding “It’s important that people understand that if you commit a crime, and we have the evidence to prove it, it doesn’t matter to us what you do for a living. Our job is to hold people accountable if we have the evidence. And in this case, we do.” Smith was shot after a high-speed chase. Stockley and his partner allegedly shot at Smith’s car and then chased him at speeds a high as 80 miles per hour. During the chase, Stockley reportedly said: “Going to kill this [expletive deleted], don’t you know it.” When the chase ended, Stockley walked up to Smith’s driver’s side window and shot him five times, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...DB&via=FB_Page
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    that will be an interesting show of a trial.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

The trial of a former St. Louis police officer charged with what prosecutors have described as the calculated killing of a 24-year-old man six years ago will begin Monday.

Prosecutors allege that Jason Stockley, 36, was recorded on an internal camera during a high-speed pursuit saying he intended to kill Anthony Lamar Smith, before shooting him five times on Dec. 20, 2011.

Initial police reports said officers approached Smith, who was apparently involved in a drug deal behind a restaurant north of downtown St. Louis, when he fled, according to court documents obtained by NBC affiliate KSDK.

At one point, the station reported, Stockley could be heard in the video saying he was "going to kill this [expletive] — don't you know it."

When Smith's car slowed, prosecutors said later, Stockley instructed his partner, who was driving their SUV, to ram Smith's car.

"Stockley then approached Smith's car on the driver's side and shot five times into the car, striking the victim Anthony Smith with each shot," former St. Louis Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce said last year.

Stockley, who had been with the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department for four years, told internal affairs investigators that he believed Smith was reaching for a handgun, according to police reports obtained by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

But Joyce said the only gun found in Smith's car bore Stockley's DNA.

Homicide detectives later determined that the shooting was justifiable, although federal and internal affairs investigations continued.

In 2013, the same year Stockley left the department, the Board of Police Commissioners settled a wrongful death suit with Smith's family for $900,000. In May 2016, Stockley was charged with first-degree murder; a grand jury indicted him in August.

Citing intense local media coverage, Stockley asked that the location of his trial be changed — a request Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson denied — and he opted to waive his right to a jury trial, court documents said.

Assistant Circuit Attorney Aaron Levinson criticized the move, saying police killings are "of particular interest to the public." Allowing a judge to rule over such "controversial" cases, he said, "creates a perception amongst the public that police officers accused of crimes get special treatment in our criminal justice system."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...m_npd_nn_tw_ma
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Not guilty

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...78078c8cb.html

Ex-St. Louis police officer Jason Stockley found not guilty of murder

St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson's highly anticipated verdict found a white former St. Louis police officer not guilty of first-degree murder and amed criminal action in the December 2011 shooting death of a black drug suspect after a high-speed pursuit and crash.

Activists, with support from some of the city's black clergy, have pledged disruptive protests ahead of St. Louis Circuit Judge Timothy Wilson's verdict. More than a month has passed since Stockley's bench trial ended, a case that has rekindled racial tensions not seen in St. Louis since the Ferguson uprising and police killing of VonDerrit Myers Jr. in the second half of 2014.

Stockley, 36, whose home is now Houston, was charged last year with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the Dec. 20, 2011, shooting death of Anthony Lamar Smith, 24, at the end of a police chase at West Florissant and Acme avenues. The chase began when Stockley and his partner Brian Bianchi tried to arrest Smith for a suspected drug deal at a Church's Chicken at Thekla Avenue and Riverview Boulevard.

The decison was Wilson's alone because Stockley waived his right to a jury trial.

Prosecutors said Stockley carried out the premeditated murder of Smith by shooting him five times at close range and then planting a .38-caliber revolver in Smith's Buick after police pulled Smith's body from the car. Defense attorneys said Stockley acted "reasonably" in self-defense in killing a drug suspect he believed was reaching for a hidden handgun.

A high-speed police chase preceded the shooting. During the pursuit, Stockley shouted commands to Bianchi, who drove their police SUV while chasing Smith through the Walnut Park neighborhood at speeds approaching 90mph. Amid sirens, engine noise and squawking radio traffic, Stockley can be heard on an in-car camera video telling Bianchi "Gonna kill this (expletive), don't you know it."

Prosecutors argued the statement proved Stockley's "cool reflection" of his intent to kill Smith. During the trial, Stockley didn't deny saying it but also couldn't remember uttering it and therefore couldn't explain its meaning or context.

snip
    Last edited by SeanTX; 09-15-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Great, I was really stressing out about Stockley's loss. Though now his family should be feeling much better with all that back-pay and benefits he can apply for and also go on working as a LEO in his new locality even. Yeah, go Stockley!
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Great timing.

Temperatures going to be in the 90's this weekend.

Burn baby, burn.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    The decison was Wilson's (the judge) alone because Stockley waived his right to a jury trial.
    Consider me completely unsurprised.

Zero accountability.

I dunno, I think the Stasi was held more accountable than are the US Police in the 21st Century.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Zero accountability.

I dunno, I think the Stasi was held more accountable than are the US Police in the 21st Century.
    Apparently. Hopefully, the target of protesters will be the police and the justice dept. and not private citizens businesses. Doubtful though.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    that will be an interesting show of a trial.
    What a state of affairs we are in when one can predict the outcome of these situations nearly 100% of the time.

Prosecutors said Stockley carried out the premeditated murder of Smith by shooting him five times at close range and then planting a .38-caliber revolver in Smith's Buick after police pulled Smith's body from the car. Defense attorneys said Stockley acted "reasonably" in self-defense in killing a drug suspect he believed was reaching for a hidden handgun.
    So it's now "reasonable" that a cop blows you away for reaching for a gun that the cop posthumously plants on your body.

Jesus bloody Christ...

Assistant Circuit Attorney Aaron Levinson criticized the move, saying police killings are "of particular interest to the public." Allowing a judge to rule over such "controversial" cases, he said, "creates a perception amongst the public that police officers accused of crimes get special treatment in our criminal justice system."
    The hell you say...

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    So it's now "reasonable" that a cop blows you away for reaching for a gun that the cop posthumously plants on your body.

Jesus bloody Christ...
    Someone has to keep drugs off the streets and keep them safe. Next time a crazed drug addict attacks you call a crackhead/
    "The Patriarch"

"The Patriarch"

Could it be that people are finally understanding who the enemy is?

Pair of cops injured after protesters throw bricks, descend on mayor’s house

[IMG]https://********************************/2017/09/police_shooting_st_louis.jpg?quality=90&strip=all& w=664&h=441&crop=1[/IMG]
    Protesters gather in front of the home of St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson, Friday.

About 1,000 protesters took their frustrations out on St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson, whose home was splattered with red paint and had a window broken.
    http://nypost.com/2017/09/15/st-loui...e=facebook_app
    "The Patriarch"

Was looking at some video on this case, ran across this video. Apparently this guy blames constitutionalists and libertarians.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Was looking at some video on this case, ran across this video. Apparently this guy blames constitutionalists and libertarians.

I flat out didn't get that part. Must be some of that same logic that makes them want to burn down their own neighborhoods.
    "The Patriarch"

Watched it Live, they were told to move along and given ample time, all of the other people moved back, she was showboating, and yes it got on my nerves, these people were blocking a main intersection (Market) downtown, around 5 o'clock on a workday.
    FJB

Well, the protesters have certainly shown all of those small businesses. Things will change for the better once they burn down all of the businesses. Brilliant!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Shots fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Shots fired?

Most likely Nigerians again.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Watched it Live, they were told to move along and given ample time, all of the other people moved back, she was showboating, and yes it got on my nerves, these people were blocking a main intersection (Market) downtown, around 5 o'clock on a workday.
    I won't even take a job in the downtown area anymore, the last one I did there cured me forever of that forever. (Belltown,Seattle)
    "The Patriarch"