Thread: LIAR:Hobby Lobby fined $3M will return 5,500 ancient Iraqi artifacts smuggled via Israel & UAE

LIAR:Hobby Lobby fined $3M will return 5,500 ancient Iraqi artifacts smuggled via Israel & UAE

Hobby Lobby fined $3mn, will return 5,500 ancient Iraqi artifacts smuggled through Israel and UAE

Arts and crafts chain, Hobby Lobby, will return 5,500 ancient Iraqi religious artifacts
    which were smuggled into the US through Israel and the United Arab Emirates
    as a result of a civil complaint from the US Justice Department.

Hobby Lobby announced on Wednesday that it has agreed to return the artifacts and pay a $3 million dollar fine because of its illegal importation practices.

In 2010, the president of Hobby Lobby, Steve Green, personally purchased $1.6 million worth of cuneiform tablets, bricks, clay bullae and cylinder seals, according to a DOJ press release.

In October 2010, an expert on property law hired by Hobby Lobby's in-house counsel warned the company
    that the artifacts"may have been looted from archaeological sites in Iraq," according to the press release. (UH-HUH..Suuuure they did)
    Green traveled to the UAE to personally inspect the artifacts before the acquisition.
    Hobby Lobby went through with the transaction despite all the warnings.

The DOJ press release states that Hobby Lobby had not met or had communications with the original dealer
    who was said to have owned the artifacts.
    The company also didn't pay the purported owner,
    but rather transferred money into seven other people's bank accounts given to Hobby Lobby by a different dealer.
    (geee... no 'red flags' that you were involved in smuggling????)

The civil complaint charges that a dealer based in the UAE
    shipped the packages of artifacts to three different corporate addresses in Oklahoma City
    with the consent of Hobby Lobby.
    Between one and three shipments came in at a time and the required customs entry documentation
    was not filed with the US Customs and Border Protection
    (CBP).

Shipping labels "falsely" described the contents of the packages as "clay tiles (samples)," or "ceramic tiles," the DOJ said.

CBP intercepted five of the 10 shipments that were sent.
    All of the packages' shipment labels were falsified to say that they were from Turkey, according to the DOJ.

It wasn't until September 2011 that more shipments came through.
    This time, 1,000 clay bullae were shipped by an Israeli dealer
    and falsified to say that the country of origin was Israel, not Iraq.

LIARS

Hobby Lobby acquired the artifacts so that they could provide access to scholars
    and preserve the artifacts for future generations, according to a statement released by the company.

"The company was new to the world of acquiring these items,
    and did not fully appreciate the complexities of the acquisitions process.
    This resulted in some regrettable mistakes," Hobby Lobby said in a statement.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah I don't really care.

Fined $3 mil? Shake-down racket.

Gee I wonder how these Iraqi artifacts got into the hands of Israel and UAE... *cough* ISIS *cough*

When ISIS (the ISLAMIC state) isn't busy blowing up Muslim monuments (why would they do that?) they are looting Muslim nations and somehow the wares end up in the hands of Israel... Nothing to see here... move along...

In case you can't read between the lines, what I am getting at is that Israel is very busy ensuring that Iraq & Syria are rendered cultureless so they can move in like the vultures that they are and expand greater Israel. Trump will give his full stamp of approval since he has yuge love for Netanyahu and Israel blah dee blah dee blah...
    Last edited by randbot16; 07-06-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randbot16 View Post
    Gee I wonder how these Iraqi artifacts got into the hands of Israel and UAE... *cough* ISIS *cough*

When ISIS (the ISLAMIC state) isn't busy blowing up Muslim monuments (why would they do that?) they are looting Muslim nations and somehow the wares end up in the hands of Israel... Nothing to see here... move along...

In case you can't read between the lines, what I am getting at is that Israel is very busy ensuring that Iraq & Syria are rendered cultureless so they can move in like the vultures that they are and expand greater Israel. Trump will give his full stamp of approval since he has yuge love for Netanyahu and Israel blah dee blah dee blah...
    These were stolen from the Baghdad Museum in 2003 when the whole city was completely lawless and rioting.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I know where Hobby Lobby could get some Civil War relics cheap.

In this episode from the third season of VICE's HBO show, we investigate the surge in the looting of antiquities after the Arab Spring. Then we check out the "rent a white guy" trend in China.

In the aftermath of the Arab Spring, countries in the Middle East have seen a surge in the looting of antiquities. In Egypt alone, an estimated $3 billion dollars worth of artifacts have been plundered. Looters have broken into museums and left thousands of empty pits, all to feed the demand for antiquities around the world—especially demand from the United States.

In this episode from season three of VICE's HBO show, which originally aired on May 1, 2015, Gianna Toboni went to Egypt to meet some of the people behind the black market trade as well as those trying to preserve what's left of the country's archeological heritage.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m...gical-heritage

Vice has some interesting news pieces. Reporters actually going around the world
    Last edited by kpitcher; 07-06-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Then we check out the "rent a white guy" trend in China.
    The requirements for these jobs are simple. 1. Be white. 2. Do not speak any Chinese, or really speak at all, unless asked. 3. Pretend like you just got off of an airplane yesterday.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/06/...ple/index.html

< Scratches chin in contemplation >

These items would have gone on display in the museum they own.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They should have hired me as a consultant .
    Do something Danke

So I guess Hobby Lobby financially supports ISIS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    These were stolen from the Baghdad Museum in 2003 when the whole city was completely lawless and rioting.
    K how did Israel and UAE obtain these 5500 artifacts? They line up all these lawless, looting rioters and give them fair market price for their various looted knick knacks?

Great, concise piece by Jeffrey Tucker:

https://fee.org/articles/the-attack-...nt-and-unjust/

Choice block of text:

Given how valuable these items are, and how little care the US government showed them, there is a sense in which the black market deserves praise. There was no longer a regime in place to claim ownership. The treasures were not destroyed or forgotten. Rather, they were preserved in the care of new owners and traders who understood their value – far more so than the marauding occupiers who allowed a birthplace of civilization to be pillaged without a thought.

Hobby Lobby – scrupulously and motivated by genuine piety – was only seeking to recover them and put them on display to increase public awareness of their value and what they represent. It is not the company’s fault that these treasures were floating around and changing hands all over the Middle East. Hobby Lobby didn’t cause the war. It didn’t steal a single thing from anyone. What the company was doing was systematically buying them from criminals, gangs, and shadowy forces with an eye toward keeping them safe and showing them to the public.

Hobby Lobby deserves praise, not condemnation, for these actions.

The most preposterous claim is that what the company did was unchristian. This is a jab at the company culture, of course, which is openly evangelical and has otherwise embroiled the company in public controversy. The Supreme Court decided in favor of its claim that it should not be forced to provide medical services to its employees. It was the first time in US history that the courts said that a for-profit company enjoys certain rights to religious liberty – and the partisans of Obamacare have never forgiven the company for that reason.

It’s like the whole of the social-democratic opinion cartel got on board with a plan: get Hobby Lobby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Great, concise piece by Jeffrey Tucker:

https://fee.org/articles/the-attack-...nt-and-unjust/

Choice block of text:
    Sorry.. I don't buy it...
    there's a reason I included my 'block of text'..
    Non-declaration,
    falsifying documents,
    falsifying description as ceramic tiles
    falsifying origin twice

this is fraud/lying/deception and does not deserve the 'greater good'/lawyer/MAGA argument.
    It's not a 'liberal' hit piece on a MAGA 'trophy corp.'...
    It is what it is. Crime and Fraud.

======

yunno...
    If you're going to going to commit 'noble fraud'... fine.
    If you get 'caught'...
    then at least don't whine about it. Be a man. Do your time/pay the price.
    No different than 'having an affair'... then getting caught.
    The 'price' might be your family, your kids, your business, your reputation...
    in this case
    your entire company.
    He made a decision
    and now is whining about the 'price'.
    It's too late.
    "I was drunk" "she came on to me" is not going to change the outcome.
    rather...
    "I was wrong" "Its my fault" "I'm sorry." "Please forgive me"
    just might help.
    This is Clinton 2.0 with cuneiform.
    I'm sick of it.
    Last edited by goldenequity; 07-08-2017 at 11:20 AM.