Thread: Has anyone used the Sig Sauer 4x magnifier w/ the Romeo red dot? Thoughts?

Has anyone used the Sig Sauer 4x magnifier w/ the Romeo red dot? Thoughts?

Thinking of buying a Sig combo similar to this. Thoughts?

https://www.thesigapp.com/sig-sauer-...sorj43111.html

This is a combo of the Sig Sauer Juliet4 Magnifier and Sig Sauer Romeo4H Red Dot Sight.

Romeo4H Details:

- Designed for modern semi-automatic pistols, MSR platforms and shotguns
    - Comes standard with solid and see-through lens covers and quick release mount
    - 50,000+ hour battery life and the readily available CR2032 battery is side loading for quick battery replacement.
    - Unlimited eye relief to acquire aiming point and target, regardless of eye position behind sight.
    - MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up or down when sensing motion
    - Uses an ultra-efficient red LED illumination for daylight visibility and extended runtime
    - Strong, lightweight aircraft-grade CNC aluminum housing
    - Waterproof, IPX-7 rated, and fog-proof.

The JULIET4 4x Magnifier is designed to work as a stand-alone magnification solution or in conjunction with reflex optics. This family of magnifiers is an excellent choice for transitioning from close quarters to intermediate ranged targets. In conjunction with a reflex optic, the JULIET4 can be adjusted for height through the use of spacers. It has a PowerCam 90° Mount so it can be quickly flipped to the side for more immediate, close quarters scenarios or deployed rapidly to bring targets four times closer. Its quick release mount comes with built-in recoil lugs for repeatable zero. The JULIET4 has a front and rear thread-in lens protector to keep it secure from the elements.

Juliet4 Features:
    • Aircraft grade CNC aluminum housing ensures a lifetime of reliable service.
    • IPX-8 rated for waterproofing -- up to 20 meters for 1 hour
    • Dialectic coated prism
    • Compact size and weight
    • Adjustable height via included spacers (1.41", 1.53", and 1.63")
    • Backed by an Infinite Guarantee™

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    // c'mon. Has no shootists here ever used this combo?

I have never had a fancy sight on a handgun . I did see Sportsmans Guide had stainless 12 Ga pump , defense shotguns on sale this week .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have never had a fancy sight on a handgun . I did see Sportsmans Guide had stainless 12 Ga pump , defense shotguns on sale this week .
    It's for a sporter, oyarde. Thinking for my cheaply acquired S&W M&P .223 ($350, second hand, private sale, TOTALLY legal ya Fed snoops in my State, Woot!). Gives the red dot but also the magnifier can flip to the side for longer range. Or so reviews tell me.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 05-29-2019 at 09:43 PM.

I need to get some more .223 Rem .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I need to get some more .223 Rem .
    Cheaper than Dirt .223 with stripper clips...

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...29465565206.do

420 rd. for $180....

....plus a stripper clip mag loader...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...ngton-556x45mm

$27 bucks.

= easy loading fun in the the sun.

Well, I went ahead and ordered a similar combo. I went with the Romeo 5 red dot. It allows for a second circle around the red dot. Teamed it with the Juliet 4.

Mounted it up to a S&W M&P sporter 15 that I bought from from someone that bought from another and marked it up $50. So $450 in the rifle. Poor thing had probably never had a hundred rounds put through it. I aim to rectify that.

Anyway, the red dot has great optics. Adjustable illumination. The ability to have a simple red dot or one with a circle around it. 50k hours of life on a AAA battery. You can manually turn it on and off, but if ignored and dormant it shuts itself off.
    The magnifier, once aligned, really puts the dot and optics out there. It is hinged and flips over for CQC or on for longer shots.

Just looking through both I am happy. Good fit and sturdy.

But, I've not had the chance for live fire and sighting in yet. And that will be the true test. Don't know when that will be, with my current schedule, but I'll check back in.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Well, I went ahead and ordered a similar combo. I went with the Romeo 5 red dot. It allows for a second circle around the red dot. Teamed it with the Juliet 4.

Mounted it up to a S&W M&P sporter 15 that I bought from from someone that bought from another and marked it up $50. So $450 in the rifle. Poor thing had probably never had a hundred rounds put through it. I aim to rectify that.

Anyway, the red dot has great optics. Adjustable illumination. The ability to have a simple red dot or one with a circle around it. 50k hours of life on a AAA battery. You can manually turn it on and off, but if ignored and dormant it shuts itself off.
    The magnifier, once aligned, really puts the dot and optics out there. It is hinged and flips over for CQC or on for longer shots.

Just looking through both I am happy. Good fit and sturdy.

But, I've not had the chance for live fire and sighting in yet. And that will be the true test. Don't know when that will be, with my current schedule, but I'll check back in.
    I have a Springfield 03-A3 with peep sites... Would it count if a red dot might be in the way?
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by ATruepatriot View Post
    I have a Springfield 03-A3 with peep sites... Would it count if a red dot might be in the way?
    Dunno. Did you add a rail so it could even be mounted? In a pinch duct tape might do.

Dunno. Did you add a rail so it could even be mounted? In a pinch duct tape might do.
    Have you ever used an 03-A3? $#@!ing incredible with factory peeps man. Seriously, 300 yards can be done within 1/2 inch no problem... Some can zen three though the same hole once they get the feel for it... Still to this day they are one of the most accurate firearms ever made. Add a few "accelerators" to the mix and you have a very formidable "reach out and touch someone" weapon not needing a scope.
    “The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to its children.” ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Have you ever used an 03-A3? $#@!ing incredible with factory peeps man. Seriously, 300 yards can be done within 1/2 inch no problem... Some can zen three though the same hole once they get the feel for it... Still to this day they are one of the most accurate firearms ever made. Add a few "accelerators" to the mix and you have a very formidable "reach out and touch someone" weapon not needing a scope.
    No, I haven't. Would love to. But, my eyesight is having a bit of a problem at 54 yrs. Hereditary. I've been having real problems with my glasses and using open sights. Trying to correct that with technology.

No, I haven't. Would love to. But, my eyesight is having a bit of a problem at 54 yrs. Hereditary. I've been having real problems with my glasses and using open sights. Trying to correct that with technology.
    I get it, I have to wear glasses too. I have to switch to the "long glasses" to use the 03-A3 peeps. The peeps are a little fuzzy. the target is not.

We have talked about it here before. A Rem 700 with a nice scope is the cat's ass... Light 06 or accelerators can place you into the best placed shot class.

I get it, I have to wear glasses too. I have to switch to the "long glasses" to use the 03-A3 peeps. The peeps are a little fuzzy. the target is not.

We have talked about it here before. A Rem 700 with a nice scope is the cat's ass... Light 06 or accelerators can place you into the best placed shot class.
    My glasses are long AND short. Worst of both worlds. But, these are optics for a sporter. S&W M&P 15. Not my long range gun by any mark. Just wanted to throw something on a cheap buy, well fair deal, the sights cost more than the gun, with quick acquisition. The Romeo has a number of brightness settings. Easy to adjust. Two push down on the top. + or -.

I dunno, just getting the parts together and waiting until I get some free time at a friends house with at least 200 yds. to check it out and sight in.

I like the dual scopes when it comes to optics. Won't know much more until I shoot it.

My glasses are long AND short. Worst of both worlds. But, these are optics for a sporter. S&W M&P 15. Not my long range gun by any mark. Just wanted to throw something on a cheap buy, well fair deal, the sights cost more than the gun, with quick acquisition. The Romeo has a number of brightness settings. Easy to adjust. Two push down on the top. + or -.

I dunno, just getting the parts together and waiting until I get some free time at a friends house with at least 200 yds. to check it out and sight in.

I like the dual scopes when it comes to optics. Won't know much more until I shoot it.
    I know I'm late to this, but while I don't own any optics by Sig, I do own several rifles and a few handguns. If I were to give any warning about Sig it would be this, "make sure it's got some real world time with consumers". As much as I have met nothing but outdamnstanding quality and performance from their firearms, Sig has several products that have issues arise within 12 months of release to the public for sale. To their credit, they are fast to address and correct those issues along with offering upgrades/fixes or compensation of some sort to customers. I didn't follow my own advice when I purchased their 716 Patrol Rifle. I wanted an AR platform in .308 (AR10) anyway, and Sig's 716 being that with a short stroke piston instead of DI plus allowing easy adjustable gas valve on the block...well, I jumped on it. I am consistently on paper with it's 16" barrel at 1200 yards, and I have tried to make it jam to avail. But as much as I love that rifle, I'm also quick to tell people that "she's a heavy girl". I say that as someone whose done 20 mile movements in full battle rattle and knows what's really heavy and whats not.....and she's heavy. Not long after I had bought it, as well as the 516 Patrol (the 5.56 version) for my wife, they released a new build where they'd manage to shave some weight off. Nothing to cry over....but less weight is less weight.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

Not sure of what kind of surgery you might be looking at, but if you're looking at getting your lenses replaces, they'll tell you they can only give you distance or up close. I would recommend you select up close. I had trauma induced cataracts that finally required surgery and went through this. Granted, I have excellent insurance through the hospital my wife works at....meaning I got all the "fancy" upgrades like High Definition lenses. Also, note I had always had astigmatisms in both eyes, although my right eye was far worse (it's why that even though right handed, my dominant eye is my left eye. So I aim a pistol with my left eye).

So the pros....

I selected distance when offered, as I'd never had it before. And honestly, up close vision being hampered didn't even register with me.

1) As someone with astigmatisms my entire life, I'd always had horrible vision at distance without glasses. Now my vision is 20/10!

2) As they literally removed my lenses and replaced them with artificial ones, my eyesight is pretty much set now for the rest of my life (some degenerative diseases aside)

The cons....

I am BLIND AS A DAMN BAT UP CLOSE. Even with 3.00 mag readers, I will have to do things like augment that with a flashlight many times to read small print.

I should have asked for more clarity when they asked me which I prefer in all honesty, but I'd taken up close vision for granted so long I guess it never dawned on me how much different it could be. In hind sight, I'd much rather need glasses to see something clearly 100 yards away than like now, where I need glasses to read large print three inches from my nose.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    Not sure of what kind of surgery you might be looking at, but if you're looking at getting your lenses replaces, they'll tell you they can only give you distance or up close. I would recommend you select up close. I had trauma induced cataracts that finally required surgery and went through this. Granted, I have excellent insurance through the hospital my wife works at....meaning I got all the "fancy" upgrades like High Definition lenses. Also, note I had always had astigmatisms in both eyes, although my right eye was far worse (it's why that even though right handed, my dominant eye is my left eye. So I aim a pistol with my left eye).

So the pros....

I selected distance when offered, as I'd never had it before. And honestly, up close vision being hampered didn't even register with me.

1) As someone with astigmatisms my entire life, I'd always had horrible vision at distance without glasses. Now my vision is 20/10!

2) As they literally removed my lenses and replaced them with artificial ones, my eyesight is pretty much set now for the rest of my life (some degenerative diseases aside)

The cons....

I am BLIND AS A DAMN BAT UP CLOSE. Even with 3.00 mag readers, I will have to do things like augment that with a flashlight many times to read small print.

I should have asked for more clarity when they asked me which I prefer in all honesty, but I'd taken up close vision for granted so long I guess it never dawned on me how much different it could be. In hind sight, I'd much rather need glasses to see something clearly 100 yards away than like now, where I need glasses to read large print three inches from my nose.
    Not looking for surgery. Was told it was an either/or proposition. So, I'm not really interested. Doubt the V.A. would cover it anyway. I'm fine with bi-focals. Which the V.A. does cover. Was happy with my last eye test a month ago. After a steady 10yr. decline this last test after 3 yrs. showed marginal decline. I dunno, we'll see. Yuk-yuk.
    I like these Sig sights. Just won't know until I site them in. Which as busy as I am these days, who knows. I'll check back in within a month with my observation on the duo.

Not looking for surgery. Was told it was an either/or proposition. So, I'm not really interested. Doubt the V.A. would cover it anyway. I'm fine with bi-focals. Which the V.A. does cover. Was happy with my last eye test a month ago. After a steady 10yr. decline this last test after 3 yrs. showed marginal decline. I dunno, we'll see. Yuk-yuk.
    I like these Sig sights. Just won't know until I site them in. Which as busy as I am these days, who knows. I'll check back in within a month with my observation on the duo.
    Good...I'm curious about them and what you think

Well, don't need any new glasses.

The Romeo 5 red dot and Juliet 4x were well worth the price. Cst more than the gun, but once dialed in a great combo.

Well, don't need any new glasses.

The Romeo 5 red dot and Juliet 4x were well worth the price. Cst more than the gun, but once dialed in a great combo.
    Good to hear.

How far out have you shot with it? How many rounds have you put through it (basically, is it holding tight zero after firing and being slung around)?

I have a couple of new ARs and have been trying to decide on an optic combo as you discussed in this thread, as well am a fan of anything Sig (except their pistols. They just look like a turd to me, and feel like a big block in my hand), so I'm looking at this option.

Good to hear.

How far out have you shot with it? How many rounds have you put through it (basically, is it holding tight zero after firing and being slung around)?

I have a couple of new ARs and have been trying to decide on an optic combo as you discussed in this thread, as well am a fan of anything Sig (except their pistols. They just look like a turd to me, and feel like a big block in my hand), so I'm looking at this option.
    Can't really say much. I'll get back with you on this. Don't really have the range on my property. Not to walk it out properly. "Dialed in" was only 75 yrds. And that was the red dot. only. Which is the most on my property without going over the horizon. I promise I'll get back as soon as I can find a decent range and get some range time.
    The red dot took about 20 rds. to dial in. Can't give an M.O.A. Was a five inch steel target at 75 yrds. And after dialed in put another 70 rds. through it. All hit the target. So I haven't put more than 3 mags through it. Just need some more days off and some more yardage. Wish I lived in the desert. But, that's all I've got for now. Sigs seem solid. But can't really say until I get some serious range time ith longer yardage for the 4x. . All I can say is the red dot works great at 75 yrds, with my normal glasses.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 08-07-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Good to hear.

Getting back to you on this. Again I've not been to ranges over 100 yds. But at 100 yds. it's fine. After about 1200 rds. I haven't had to make any corrections. It's not a scope. Just a red dot and 4x magnifier but at 100 yds. it'll hit an 8" metal target if the dots on. Also in more than a years time I haven't had to change the battery, though I will soon for good measure, even though I have negligently left it on before stowing in it's case. The battery shuts off if it is not in motion. So that's a plus.

Getting back to you on this. Again I've not been to ranges over 100 yds. But at 100 yds. it's fine. After about 1200 rds. I haven't had to make any corrections. It's not a scope. Just a red dot and 4x magnifier but at 100 yds. it'll hit an 8" metal target if the dots on. Also in more than a years time I haven't had to change the battery, though I will soon for good measure, even though I have negligently left it on before stowing in it's case. The battery shuts off if it is not in motion. So that's a plus.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again

Thanks for the update on this. I have one AR left that I haven't done anything with yet and I think you just became my muse...lol