Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating liver

Eating liver

Today I heard a doctor recommend eating an animal's liver. However I've also heard it said not to eat the liver because it's a filter.
    Please share any wisdom you have on this. Thanks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you have certain mineral deficiencies, it can be good. Iron deficiency in particular.

If you have no deficiencies, the nutritional value of liver is not worth the toxins.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

One take: http://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood

The chart below lists the micronutrient content of apples, carrots, red meat and beef liver. Note that every nutrient in red meat except for vitamin C surpasses those in apples and carrots, and every nutrient—including vitamin C—in beef liver occurs in exceedingly higher levels in beef liver compared to apple and carrots. In general, organ meats are between 10 and 100 times higher in nutrients than corresponding muscle meats.

In fact, you might be surprised to learn that in some traditional cultures, only the organ meats were consumed. The lean muscle meats, which are what we mostly eat in the U.S. today, were discarded or perhaps given to the dogs.

A popular objection to eating liver is the belief that the liver is a storage organ for toxins in the body. While it is true that one of the liver’s role is to neutralize toxins (such as drugs, chemical agents and poisons), it does not store these toxins. Toxins the body cannot eliminate are likely to accumulate in the body’s fatty tissues and nervous systems. On the other hand, the liver is a is a storage organ for many important nutrients (vitamins A, D, E, K, B12 and folic acid, and minerals such as copper and iron). These nutrients provide the body with some of the tools it needs to get rid of toxins.
    (chart at link)

If you partake of liver, discriminating gourmands recommend that it be accompanied with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Calf's liver is the best to eat if you are deficient in vitamins and minerals. It's also a great source of protein. Good organic calf liver is the best way to go. The older animal's liver have accumulated toxins in it and is not so healthy to eat.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Yuck. I'll get my iron from eating me spinach.

It is quite tasty (to me anyways). You do need to trim out the veins in it before cooking- they can be tough. Add some browned onions.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    If you partake of liver, discriminating gourmands recommend that it be accompanied with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
    Human liver keeps the Syrian rebels strong.
    Last edited by green73; 06-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It is quite tasty (to me anyways). You do need to trim out the veins in it before cooking- they can be tough. Add some browned onions.
    My mom loved liver and onions.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    My English teacher claimed to take a bite of the liver when gutting a deer. Public school.

(Full disclosure, he was the best teacher there).

Yuck. I'll get my iron from eating me spinach.
    No you won't. From wikipedia:

Spinach, along with other green leafy vegetables, is considered to be rich in iron. For example, the United States Department of Agriculture states that a 180-g serving of boiled spinach contains 6.43 mg of iron, whereas a 170-g ground hamburger patty contains at most 4.42 mg. However, spinach contains iron absorption-inhibiting substances, including high levels of oxalate, which can bind to the iron to form ferrous oxalate and render much of the iron in spinach unusable by the body. In addition to preventing absorption and use, high levels of oxalates remove iron from the body.

Spinach also has a high calcium content. However, the oxalate content in spinach also binds with calcium, decreasing its absorption. Calcium and zinc also limit iron absorption. The calcium in spinach is the least bioavailable of calcium sources. By way of comparison, the body can absorb about half of the calcium present in broccoli, yet only around 5% of the calcium in spinach.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinach#Nutrition
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    One take: http://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood

The chart below lists the micronutrient content of apples, carrots, red meat and beef liver.
    (chart at link)
    That chart doesn't seem to line up with other nutrition reporting sites. For example, in the chart in the link you posted, it lists 100g of carrots as having "None" vitamin A. But link below says 100g of carrots has 16,705 IU of vitamin A (334% RDA). The above link also says 100g carrots have 3.3 mg of calcium while the link below says 33 mg. There are numerous other discrepancies.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2383/2
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

Quote Originally Posted by enoch150 View Post
    Oh well, there's always blackstrap molasses. (confident I get plenty of iron without eating liver )

The necessity of iron is greatly overestimated and to much is detrimental.
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

Quote Originally Posted by enoch150 View Post
    That chart doesn't seem to line up with other nutrition reporting sites. For example, in the chart in the link you posted, it lists 100g of carrots as having "None" vitamin A. But link below says 100g of carrots has 16,705 IU of vitamin A (334% RDA). The above link also says 100g carrots have 3.3 mg of calcium while the link below says 33 mg. There are numerous other discrepancies.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2383/2
    Thanks for double checking that. I honestly didn't even look at the chart- it listed a lot of things- I mentioned that it was availabe at the link since it was mentioned in the text I copied. I did see other sources which verified their claim that liver does not store the toxins it separates out which is the reason I did cite it in the first place.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-20-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    My English teacher claimed to take a bite of the liver when gutting a deer. Public school.

(Full disclosure, he was the best teacher there).
    Ahh , like buffalo tongue LOL

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Calf liver, salted, peppered , cooked with onions is very good , itis one of those special dishes that you will like or dislike , no in between, As a child we would butcher a couple calfs , some hogs ( sell the rest except seed ) and smoke ,freeze and eat it to next yr , including liver, heart , tongue, but you are not eating it often .....

I have had great tasting Rabbit liver. They are usually slaughtered at 11 weeks of age or so.

i eat liver every week, if it's grassfed you shouldnt have to worry about toxins, it is probably the most nutrient dense food out there.

Mine did too. I think it's disgusting!!

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Mine did too. I think it's disgusting!!
    Must be a southern thing...you can still get it at Lubys.

Must be a southern thing...you can still get it at Lubys.

Nah, it is not a southern thing. Born and raise in NY and my father made me eat it growing up.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

There's a fascinating man who's name is "Steven Callahan". Some may know him, but he was adrift for 76 days.

In his account, he recalls being drawn to the organs and eyes, things that had more nutrients. He explains that the body will tell you what it wants, and things that are disgusting in times of plenty, will be the first thing that draws you in desperate times. Anyone who is not familiar with Steve's story should probably look him up some time. His story is nothing short of fascinating.

Anyway, it applies to the post earlier. Our lifestyles and bodies are unique, and therefore our needs will be different. Folks with certain deficiencies may benefit from liver, while others may not. I think there are many folks in society today, who are suffering from protein poisoning, and dont even know it. Diseases like NASH are on the rise as well, which is likely caused by sedentary lifestyles that result from technological efficiency, and of course all of the various food additives and substitutes.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I love liver. Chicken Liver Fry is a popular South Indian dish. Very spicy. Here is one sample recipe: http://ugadi-telugunewyear.blogspot....liver-fry.html

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Organs?

What about the intestines? As in Sausage Casings? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I don't care for liver, however chicken livers make good catfish bait..

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    i eat liver every week, if it's grassfed you shouldnt have to worry about toxins, it is probably the most nutrient dense food out there.
    THIS is exactly right.

DO NOT eat liver from WalMart or the grocery store..

If you have a good source of 100% grassfed beef, or organic pastured chickens (they have livers too), then you are VERY good to go. This is actually one of the healthiest foods you can eat, as difficult as it may be to prepare it well and make tasty without using a bunch of catsup..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It's probably the best source of vitamin A. It has a good amount of copper and the B vitamins. The stuff about toxins is bull$#@!, it's a great food. Don't have too much though, to not get too much vitamin A. 3 ounces a week is good. If you don't like the taste, soak it in milk for a few hours before frying it in butter, ghee, or coconut oil.
    Last edited by jj-; 08-17-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast