Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In entire US history, has a Presidential candidate or ex President ever gone to jail?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Dangerous... heard on Fox, someone said they never heard of such talk... that said, it was because she violated a court order. When a court asks for something you don't destroy it.
    I seem to recall howls of "Traitor!" from the left when Pelosi said GWB wasn't going to be tried for war crimes after all.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Nixon was pardoned by Gerald Ford, but a lot of people around Nixon went to jail. And this was for breaking into a hotel room to steal a list of campaign donors. That was it. If Nixon had not known about it, and if he had owned up to it in the first place, and if he had not been so ridiculously loyal to those men, there would have been no hearings and probably no resignation.
    That actually wasn't it. The Watergate scandal had almost died down entirely. But the accounting of the Committee to Reelect the President was sloppy, one of the burglars was tied to the organization by the press, and the FBI didn't give immunity to everybody they investigated.

Of course, "Deep Throat" was an FBI agent, so I guess we can assume that the FBI was not interested in actually pursuing the investigation in the case either. But Nixon was a Republican, so the media was.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Yes, but I think POTUS can only pardon for federal crimes.
    Shouldn't be able to pardon anyone without provable innocence.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I seem to recall howls of "Traitor!" from the left when Pelosi said GWB wasn't going to be tried for war crimes after all.
    Some good news for Obama and Hillary... looks like "lock her up", "lock him up" operations may not be pursued by Trump based on latest claims in media reports. Benghazi and emails chapters could be closed soon going by this news.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Some good news for Obama and Hillary... looks like "lock her up", "lock him up" operations may not be pursued by Trump based on latest claims in media reports. Benghazi and emails chapters could be closed soon going by this news.
    I don't think Obama's done anything impeachable. But if Trump had just said he was going to let the investigation run its course, I'd be happier.

Jan2017

Nixon and cohorts of the Committee to ReElect the President broke into medical records offices for psychiatric records too, I think . . .
    or was that Hillary to set up the bullying of former law partner and WH counsel Vince Foster (?)

It was quite and odd trail of suicide-murder-suicide in the Clintons' first 100 days in office, or well April and May 1993 anyway.

I think Congress can pursue charges with or without President Trump . . .
    and he doesn't have to force the issue of a Special Prosecutor yet, just wait until inaugurated.

TRUMP wants the NYTimes to hand him LODESTAR, the essay writer....

ADMISTRATION people have ruled out HIllary Clinton, for some reason.
    She evidently is not the essayist who is a d.c insider who sounds upset...

.................................................. .................................................. ............

Any history buffs here know answer off hand?

This kind of stuff happens in poor , third world countries where leaders go to jails like regular joes, not in land of the free where leaders have rights. This was unprecedented escalation in debate tonight where a businessman turned politician pledged to prosecute / put in jail a highly respected and well connected politician just because she bleached couple of emails?

Very dangerous rhetoric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    WTF not. Bitch shouldn't be above the same laws the rest of us are grinding under. "leaders have rights", I know this is satire.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    I would love to see it, but it won't happen. If Trump wins, Hillary will be pardoned for all crimes before Obama leaves office.
    I agree with Fox folks on this, I've never heard this kind of accountability talk at the highest level of our nation either. Generally poor low ranking soldiers or activists are brought to justice in such situations.
    But I take that point and sort of knew the legal reason, just being rhetorical too in part.
    We're all so 'civilized" when it comes to our "leaders", too bad that doesn't trickle down to us mundanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    On the one hand, it does come across as vindictive, banana republic and potentially unconstitutional. On the other hand, the Democrats have no problem using government to go after political opponents (IRS is a prime example), so is the only new thing here that he talked about it to her face at a debate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Can you be pardoned before you are indicted? Or impeached, etc?
    Yes.
    "You" can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Suppose Trump wins, what incentive does he have to follow through on this? I don't see him doing it. Promising to do stuff you have no intention of doing is all part of the art of the deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by seapilot View Post
    It would be a good start to prosecute some higher ups for their past crimes . It would make the system no longer look totally corrupt and rigged. They always pardon because they are afraid the next prez will do same to them if they step over the line. That is what happens when there is too much centralized power.
    Nixon was pardoned by Gerald Ford, but a lot of people around Nixon went to jail. And this was for breaking into a hotel room to steal a list of campaign donors. That was it. If Nixon had not known about it, and if he had owned up to it in the first place, and if he had not been so ridiculously loyal to those men, there would have been no hearings and probably no resignation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    it won't happen but a man can dream...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Pardon my French, but I $#@!ing hope we break the mold and send this harpy to the most asbestos-infested cell in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by francisco View Post
    Off the top of my head, Eugene Debs and Lyndon LaRouche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_V._Debs
    Thank you, good historic info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Clinton's charges were for lying about a blowjob.
    Oh, and Ulysses S. Grant was given a speeding ticket in Washington, DC. In his carriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Definitely getting pardoned after what Trump said last night.

Aren't pardons supposed to be for specific crimes though?
    Not necessarily, they could be for any crimes during a specific time period.
    $#@!. So Obama can just go "I pardon Hillary for everything from she may or may not have done from 1/1/1950 to 1/19/2017.
    Yes, but I think POTUS can only pardon for federal crimes.
    Except that Nixon's only crime was lying to Congress about something that was small potatoesl compared to mishandling classified information, ignoring Congressional subpoenas, and moneywhoring with foreign governments. Remember the very young Fred Thompson? "What did he know, and when did he know it?" I was a nerdy kid in North Carolina at my sewing machine that summer. I listened to those hearings from dawn to dusk and hemmed culottes.
    That actually wasn't it. The Watergate scandal had almost died down entirely. But the accounting of the Committee to Reelect the President was sloppy, one of the burglars was tied to the organization by the press, and the FBI didn't give immunity to everybody they investigated.

Of course, "Deep Throat" was an FBI agent, so I guess we can assume that the FBI was not interested in actually pursuing the investigation in the case either. But Nixon was a Republican, so the media was.
    Shouldn't be able to pardon anyone without provable innocence.
    I don't think Obama's done anything impeachable. But if Trump had just said he was going to let the investigation run its course, I'd be happier.
    EM.

That is debatable.

Poll: Would you support Obama impeachment?

View Poll Results: Would you support Obama impeachment?

• Yes
      87.07%
    • No
      10.20%
    • Not sure
      2.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Nixon and cohorts of the Committee to ReElect the President broke into medical records offices for psychiatric records too, I think . . .
    or was that Hillary to set up the bullying of former law partner and WH counsel Vince Foster (?)

It was quite and odd trail of suicide-murder-suicide in the Clintons' first 100 days in office, or well April and May 1993 anyway.

I think Congress can pursue charges with or without President Trump . . .
    and he doesn't have to force the issue of a Special Prosecutor yet, just wait until inaugurated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12