Thread: Trial: Kim Potter on trial for Murder in Taser 'Accidental Shooting'

Trial: Kim Potter on trial for Murder in Taser 'Accidental Shooting'

.. of Daunte Wright.

Could not for the life of me find the thread where this was posted earlier..

They are charging her with 1st degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter.

The Judge is like a sultry ninja on ambien (especially with her black mask on... the whole court is all masked up..)

Jury selection has started. The Judge thinks it will last for over a week, estimates the trial won't start until December 8th and will likely go on past Christmas. She's probably making those estimates based on how slowly and hypnotically she talks.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-30-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, I'm watching this. Since the Rittenhouse case I have found to enjoy the boring court proceedings. The jury selection process is absolutely hilarious.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Yeah, I'm watching this. Since the Rittenhouse case I have found to enjoy the boring court proceedings. The jury selection process is absolutely hilarious.
    For me it's tough to watch without the grifters chiming in.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    Having been in a few,, I can't watch.

I do appreciate the reasoned comment from those that can stand it.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Could not for the life of me find the thread where this was posted earlier..
    This is the thread: Minnesota: Brooklyn Center Looting, Rioting Sees Several Businesses 'Completely Destroyed'

It could maybe use a title change.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Title modified...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Guilty
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Former Minnesota Police Officer Kim Potter Found Guilty in Death of Daunte Wright

https://www.breitbart.com/law-and-or...daunte-wright/

23 Dec 2021

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Jurors on Thursday convicted a suburban Minneapolis police officer of two manslaughter charges in the killing of Daunte Wright, a Black motorist she shot during a traffic stop after she said she confused her gun for her Taser.

The mostly white jury deliberated for about four days before finding former Brooklyn Center officer Kim Potter guilty of first-degree and second-degree manslaughter. Potter, 49, faces about seven years in prison on the most serious count under the state’s sentencing guidelines, but prosecutors said they would seek a longer term.

Potter, who testified that she “didn’t want to hurt anybody,” looked down without showing any visible reaction when the verdicts were read.

Potter, who is white, shot and killed the 20-year-old Wright during an April 11 traffic stop in Brooklyn Center as she and other officers were trying to arrest him on an outstanding warrant for a weapons possession charge. The shooting happened at a time of high tension in the area, with former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin standing trial just miles away for the killing of George Floyd. Potter resigned two days later.

Jurors saw video of the shooting that was captured by police body cameras and dashcams. It showed Potter and an officer she was training, Anthony Luckey, pull over Wright for having expired license plate tags and an air freshener hanging from his rear-view mirror. During the stop, Luckey discovered there was a warrant for Wright’s arrest for not appearing in court on the weapons possession charge, and he, Potter and another officer went to take Wright into custody.

Wright obeyed Luckey’s order to get out of his car, but as Luckey tried to handcuff him, Wright pulled away and got back in. As Luckey held onto Wright, Potter said “I’ll tase ya.” The video then shows Potter holding her gun in her right hand and pointing it at Wright. Again, Potter said, “I’ll tase you,” and then two seconds later: “Taser, Taser, Taser.” One second later, she fired a single bullet into Wright’s chest.

“(Expletive)! I just shot him. … I grabbed the wrong (expletive) gun,” Potter said. A minute later, she said: “I’m going to go to prison.”

In sometimes tearful testimony, Potter told jurors that she was “sorry it happened.” She said the traffic stop “just went chaotic” and that she shouted her warning about the Taser after she saw a look of fear on the face of Sgt. Mychal Johnson, who was leaning into the passenger-side door of Wright’s car. She also told jurors that she doesn’t remember what she said or everything that happened after the shooting, as much of her memory of those moments “is missing.”

Potter’s lawyers argued that she made a mistake by drawing her gun instead of her Taser. But they also said she would have been justified in using deadly force if she had meant to because Johnson was at risk of being dragged.

Prosecutors sought to raise doubts about Potter’s testimony that she decided to act after seeing fear on Johnson’s face. Prosecutor Erin Eldridge, in cross-examination, pointed out that in an interview with a defense expert Potter said she didn’t know why she decided to draw her Taser. During her closing argument, Eldridge also replayed Potter’s body-camera video that she said never gave a clear view of Johnson’s face during the key moments.

Eldridge also downplayed testimony from some other officers who described Potter as a good person or said they saw nothing wrong in her actions: “The defendant has found herself in trouble and her police family has her back.”

Prosecutors also got Potter to agree that she didn’t plan to use deadly force. They said Potter, an experienced officer with extensive training in Taser use and use of deadly force, acted recklessly and betrayed the badge.

For first-degree manslaughter, prosecutors had to prove that Potter caused Wright’s death while committing a misdemeanor — in this case, the “reckless handling or use of a firearm so as to endanger the safety of another with such force and violence that death or great bodily harm to any person was reasonably foreseeable.”

The second-degree manslaughter charge required prosecutors to prove that Potter caused Wright’s death “by her culpable negligence,” meaning she “caused an unreasonable risk and consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm” to Wright while using or possessing a firearm.

Under Minnesota law, defendants are sentenced only on the most serious conviction if multiple counts involve the same act and the same victim. Prosecutors had said they would seek to prove aggravating factors that merit what’s called an upward departure from sentencing guidelines. In Potter’s case, they alleged that her actions were a danger to others, including her fellow officers, to Wright’s passenger and to the couple whose car was struck by Wright’s after the shooting. They also alleged she abused her authority as a police officer.

The maximum for 1st-degree manslaughter is 15 years.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    plainly should have been just second degree.

probably pay her back on early release.
    "When Sombart says: "Capitalism is born from the money-loan", I should like to add to this: Capitalism actually exists only in the money-loan;" - Theodor Fritsch

Well, we know that there wouldn't have been a guilty verdict if either the cop was black, or the victim was white.

Philip Brailsford lounges with a lifetime pension after murdering an innocent white man.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

It's downright crazy, a murderous criminal, a hero, shot and killed by a person that was hired because she was a woman.... I wonder if she is a lesbian, because if she is, she could have definitely scored some social points.

https://www.takimag.com/article/the-...ers-dont-know/

They’re doing it again. The New York Times is aggressively hiding relevant facts on a matter of public interest simply in order to promote the narrative of black victimhood.

OK, we didn’t get away with it last time, but we probably will this time. Let’s try!

Daunte Wright is the half-black man fatally shot by a police officer in Minnesota earlier this year. According to Nexis, he has appeared in well over 100 articles in the Times. But one thing Times readers will never be told is that Wright was facing criminal charges for trying to choke a woman to death while robbing her at gunpoint.

They will also never hear about the lawsuit accusing Wright and an accomplice of shooting a guy during a carjacking.

In a bold departure from customary practice, the Times did make two passing references to another lawsuit claiming Wright shot a guy in the head, permanently disabling him, but in both cases, quickly added: “The lawsuit offers no direct evidence tying Mr. Wright to the shooting.”

And those are just the crimes he’s accused of committing lately, during the brief year and a half since he turned 18 and was no longer treated as a juvenile.

When it comes to Wright’s legal problems, the Times didn’t even pull its usual trick of putting all the interesting information in paragraph 20. These grisly allegations, as set forth in police reports and lawsuits, have been completely, 100% censored from the Newspaper of Record.

This isn’t a genteel refusal to “put the victim on trial.” Wright’s short but exciting criminal record is highly relevant to the convulsions this country has been going through since George Floyd’s death at the hands of the police in 2020 — convulsions painstakingly fostered by the Times.

Contrary to the media’s black victimhood narrative, there’s a very good reason Wright was in a position to be confronted by the police and in a way that most people are not.

In addition to allegedly committing a slew of gun crimes before the age of 20 (based on only one year and six months of public records), Wright was stopped for driving with expired license plate tags. He didn’t have car insurance. He also didn’t have a driver’s license. (And yes, white people are busted for these infractions all the time.)

When the officers ran his name, they discovered that Wright was driving on a suspended license, there was a restraining order against him, and a bench warrant for his arrest on a weapons charge. They had no choice: They had to arrest him. But as one officer began to handcuff him, Wright resisted, jumped back in his car and was about to flee — along with an officer trapped in the passenger window, trying to get control of the gears.

That’s when Wright got shot.

In other words, this case isn’t exactly a primo example of “Driving While Black.” That’s why The New York Times hides all the pertinent facts.

For example, last week, the Times finally — glancingly — mentioned Wright’s lack of a driver’s license and insurance. (That’s if you don’t count a recent article about how Minnesota laws adversely affect minorities — “even regulations about driver’s licenses and renewal of tags.”)

On the other hand, the Times has run 16 articles about Wright’s … air freshener! (E.g.: “How a Common Air Freshener Can Result in a High-Stakes Traffic Stop”). That is 16 more than all its articles on Hunter Biden’s laptop!

What is the Times talking about? It seems that, immediately after the shooting, Wright’s mother told the media that he’d been stopped merely for having an air freshener hanging from his rearview mirror — AND NOW HE WAS DEAD!

That’s completely untrue, but it’s the story the Times is going with. No new information will be allowed to penetrate the paper’s BLM cocoon.

Times reporters must have heard about the armed robbery/choking incident, because they’ve repeatedly quoted Wright’s accomplice in the crime, Emajay Driver. On April 13, Nov. 30, Dec. 8 and Dec. 17 the Times ran some version of this quote:

“‘He loved to make people laugh,’ said Emajay Driver, a friend of Mr. Wright. ‘He was just great to be around. There was never a dull moment.'”

And that’s all we get from Mr. Driver.

New York Times: Say, we saw that police report about you and Daunte nearly choking a woman to death while committing an armed robbery. So naturally, we have to ask: Do you by any chance have any heartwarming stories about him?

Somewhat more important than Daunte’s love of laughter are the details of that incident, given at length in America’s Greatest Newspaper, the U.K.’s Daily Mail.

On Dec. 1, 2019, Wright and Driver crashed at the apartment of a 20-year-old woman they’d been partying with. The next morning, the woman’s roommate went out to get $820 in rent money, handed it to her, then left for work.

Just before the attack, Wright locked himself in the victim’s bathroom for a noticeably long time in order to make videos of himself with a gun, and to empty a bottle of hand sanitizer onto his gun. (Daunte, with his simple, trusting nature, apparently believed an urban legend that sanitizer “blocks” fingerprints.)

Minutes later, as the three of them were exiting the apartment, Wright suddenly blocked the door, pointed the gun at the woman’s head, saying, “Give me the f-ing money. I know you have it.” (Me to The New York Times: Give us the f-ing facts. We know you have them.)

She refused, asking “Are you serious?” Wright barked, “We’re not playing around,” and grabbed her by the neck, choking her, as she dropped to her knees, with the gun in his other hand still pointed at her head. “You look into his eyes,” the victim later said, “and it’s so evil.”

Next, he tried ripping her shirt open to get the money, perhaps having seen her hiding it in her bra earlier. She screamed, and Wright began choking her again. (As Wright’s accomplice so poignantly said, there was never a dull moment with this guy.)

Finally, Wright and Driver ran off, hopping into a white Cadillac that was waiting for them.

They were arrested five days later. Driver pleaded guilty to first-degree aggravated robbery, his second felony conviction. He was facing 20 years in prison, but only got probation, leading some to speculate that he’d made a deal to testify against Wright.

Again: The Times hasn’t printed a single detail of Wright’s give-me-the-f-ing-money robbery attempt. Or the lawsuit about the carjacking. In one of more than 100 articles, there were two brief mentions of his shooting a guy in the head.

As for the trial of Kim Potter, the officer who shot Wright, neither the prosecution nor defense disputes that it was a mistake, that she thought she was holding her Taser. Several officers, and the defense’s use-of-force expert, testified that Potter would have been fully justified in shooting Wright in order to protect the other officer from being dragged by the car.

But Wright “loved to make people laugh.” That’s all the Times wants you to know.
    FJB

if she had instead yelled stop or i'll shoot, and Wright started driving away (cars are deadly weapons and endangering others) and she then killed him, would she have been aquitted? It seems to me, deadly force was justified, but her mistake was immediately on camera saying "oops i meant to taze him".
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    if she had instead yelled stop or i'll shoot, and Wright started driving away (cars are deadly weapons and endangering others) and she then killed him, would she have been aquitted? It seems to me, deadly force was justified, but her mistake was immediately on camera saying "oops i meant to taze him".
    Never talk to cops, even if you are a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Well, we know that there wouldn't have been a guilty verdict if either the cop was black, or the victim was white.

Philip Brailsford lounges with a lifetime pension after murdering an innocent white man.

You realize you posted a video of a white cop shooting a white "civilian", right? Yet somehow you think this has something to do with race?

I feel a little sorry for her.

Wait, no I don't.

The Blue Team loves to make examples of us.

Let them worry a little bit when they pull a gun or a tazer and I'll bet they will make better decisions.

As far as the victim is concerned, it's too bad that they couldn't have wasted him in a cleaner and believable manner.

He won't be missed.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    You realize you posted a video of a white cop shooting a white "civilian", right? Yet somehow you think this has something to do with race?
    Yes, I know what I posted. Like I said, white victim, no conviction. I was talking about the outcome of the trial. What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Yes, I know what I posted. Like I said, white victim, no conviction. I was talking about the outcome of the trial. What are you talking about?
    lol never mind! Went right over my head!

Do police know who the suspect is before pulling over a vehicle? If you knew a suspect in a vehicle had a criminal history that included resisting arrest and?? why try to pull them over without backup? Would it not be smarter to get more backup before pulling over the car? If a doctor or nurse reaches for a medication and doesn't check the label and injects the wrong medication into a person and kills them is that a crime? If you fall asleep at the wheel and kill someone would you go to jail? Did you intend to kill someone? If you get out of the wreck and start crying does that make it all better? I think too much force is used to apprehend suspects. I think better more planned out arrests would make violence less necessary when making arrests. If a person that is a suspect has no chance of escape but an opportunity to surrender they will probably surrender. What is wrong with telling a person they are wanted for something and asking them to turn themselves in? Would it be wise for a police cruiser to pull over Pretty Boy Floyd without backup? Management is the problem. Why do tasers look like guns? Why would a taser be located in the same place or right next to a gun. A gun should need to be a conscious decision to take out and use not an accident. If I were in charge of a police force and a wanted dangerous criminal were noted failing to use a blinker or something like that, I would not pull over the suspect without a failsafe plan. Weren't high speed chases outlawed or are they frowned down upon? Cops stand idly by and watch people get beaten and do nothing to help a victim. Why does an arrest have to happen at this moment? Can not the arrest wait and noting that this criminal is allegedly in a vehicle use that knowledge to find out where they are staying? I do not know all the details of this situation and obviously the sentiment is that the person should have been found not guilty but I think the process is set up to fail and thus they should be held accountable. People say deadly force would have been justified. Was deadly force justified in the case of Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    Do police know who the suspect is before pulling over a vehicle? If you knew a suspect in a vehicle had a criminal history that included resisting arrest and?? why try to pull them over without backup? Would it not be smarter to get more backup before pulling over the car? If a doctor or nurse reaches for a medication and doesn't check the label and injects the wrong medication into a person and kills them is that a crime? If you fall asleep at the wheel and kill someone would you go to jail? Did you intend to kill someone? If you get out of the wreck and start crying does that make it all better? I think too much force is used to apprehend suspects. I think better more planned out arrests would make violence less necessary when making arrests. If a person that is a suspect has no chance of escape but an opportunity to surrender they will probably surrender. What is wrong with telling a person they are wanted for something and asking them to turn themselves in? Would it be wise for a police cruiser to pull over Pretty Boy Floyd without backup? Management is the problem. Why do tasers look like guns? Why would a taser be located in the same place or right next to a gun. A gun should need to be a conscious decision to take out and use not an accident. If I were in charge of a police force and a wanted dangerous criminal were noted failing to use a blinker or something like that, I would not pull over the suspect without a failsafe plan. Weren't high speed chases outlawed or are they frowned down upon? Cops stand idly by and watch people get beaten and do nothing to help a victim. Why does an arrest have to happen at this moment? Can not the arrest wait and noting that this criminal is allegedly in a vehicle use that knowledge to find out where they are staying? I do not know all the details of this situation and obviously the sentiment is that the person should have been found not guilty but I think the process is set up to fail and thus they should be held accountable. People say deadly force would have been justified. Was deadly force justified in the case of Floyd?
    How would they have known who he is if he didn't even have a driver's license? The car was registered to his brother.

The taser was located on her left side, not next to the gun. She had been a cop for 26 years and never shot anybody, and only taken her taser out twice and threatened to deploy it but never had.

What I will say in Daunte's defense is that his warrant was for a weapon's charge, which is BS.

In Floyd's defense, most of his traffic stop altercations involved drugs, although he was also driving high, not sure what your views are on that. However this time the cops were called on Floyd because not only did he pass a fake bill to the liquor store for cigs, the cashier saw it was fake and asked for the cigs back. Floyd wouldn't give them to him, so he came out and asked him for the cigs back and Floyd threatened him, and I believe he shoved him him. That is a valid reason to arrest somebody. Floyd resisted arrest and fought with the cops for several minutes on multiple occasions and they did have backup. However in his defense, the main reason he was probably resisting is because he had more drugs on him, which he swallowed and that is probably what led to his death. But we will never know if the drugs were the reason he was resisting as they had a legitimate cause for arrest also.

However, last time I checked one good reason you don't attack a police officer is that you can get shot. When you attack a police officer you put their life in danger because you can take their gun and shoot them. It seems like they were avoiding that for at least 10 minutes before they were able to subdue him on the ground using less lethal force. They had him in the car, but he was so tall they couldn't shut the doors and he kept fighting with them.

I never knew we could enlarge videos within a post, double click - large, then double click again.
    FJB