Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DOOM: Oroville Dam 'Emergency Spillway' Uncontrolled Flow (above Sacramento)

Developing? Developing? Ya think?

OROVILLE, Calif. — Officials have ordered residents near one of the nation's biggest dams to evacuate the area, saying a "hazardous situation is developing" after an emergency spillway severely eroded.

The emergency spillway of the Oroville Dam in Northern California could fail within an hour unleashing uncontrolled flood waters from Lake Oroville, the California Department of Water Resources said on Sunday afternoon.

People in downstream areas need to leave the area immediately, the department said.

Residents of Oroville, a town of 16,000 people, should head north toward Chico, and other cities should follow orders from their local law enforcement agencies, the Butte County Sheriff's office said.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/off...D=ansmsnnews11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post

Pretty sure that none of that soft brown dirt is actually "bedrock."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Pretty sure that none of that soft brown dirt is actually "bedrock."
    That isn't the dam though. Actual dam is way over to the right outside this image. See photo I recently posted. Since it is on the previous page, I will repost it here so people don't have to dig back for it.

duplicate when threads merged.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-12-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    That isn't the dam though. Actual dam is way over to the right outside this image.
    You think I don't know what a dam looks like?

See photo I recently posted. Since it is on the previous page, I will repost it here so people don't have to dig back for it.

I'm not really sure what any of this has to do with my observation that soft brown dirt is not "bedrock."

That isn't the dam though. Actual dam is way over to the right outside this image. See photo I recently posted. Since it is on the previous page, I will repost it here so people don't have to dig back for it.

]
    Dam fails? Massive amounts of water released - massive flooding. Spillway fails? Same thing.

The rate of water flow over the spillway has been slowing as the level of water has been dropping. Expected to stop sometime tomorrow. Two hours ago they estimated possible failure of the spillway within an hour. I haven't heard any updates saying it has occurred yet. News update just now still warning of possible spillway failure so it hasn't happened yet.
    If the trend continues it looks like it could stop by 20:00 pst. Latest print:
    02/12/2017 16:00 902.09 3570722 65117 41410 72238 34.76 13.4
    02/12/2017 17:00 901.89 3567540 0 45998 97713 34.76 13.3
    02/12/2017 18:00 901.65 3563726 99969 42369 103022 34.76 13.5
    02/12/2017 19:00 901.35 3558960 -- -- -- 34.76 13.5

According to the news I'm seeing, the gov't has ordered evacuation now of 100,000 people.
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

This has to be photoshopped.. not funny.

They intend to keep using the main spillway- despite the hole there- to further reduce water in the reservoir to cover for future rainfalls and later snow melt.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Failure was supposed to happen almost two hours ago as I write this.
    You can't time something like this to the minute. It's engineering, not Yahoo "trending."

It would not impact one quarter of California agriculture.
    So would it impact 24% of the products? That would be significant, given the size of California's economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post
    This has to be photoshopped.. not funny.
    Real picture- but wrong dam. That is the Teton Dam in Idaho from 1976. http://www.constructionequipmentguid...rs-later/30217
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-12-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Hell, California could be completely obliterated by thermonuclear detonations and zip would say it's no worse than a kid injuring his thumb with a firecracker.
    Be careful when you pry my gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel will be hot.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    You can't time something like this to the minute. It's engineering, not Yahoo "trending."

They said that the helicopters were dropping containers of rocks in an attempt to stabilize the failing section.

Pretty sure that the fact it is engineering makes it more likely to predict an event to the minute, minus any mitigation they try to implement. Engineering is a lot more exact of a science than social media.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.

evacuated jail inmates due to the situation

Those in Oroville, a city of about 16,000 people, were asked to flee northward toward Chico. In Yuba County, those in the valley areas were urged to take routes to the east, south or west.

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...htmlstory.html

it was still over by 1/4" 20 minutes ago. I'm no engineer but I'd guess it is below the 901' at this point.

So would it impact 24% of the products? That would be significant, given the size of California's economy.
    Pressure and water flow has been decreasing. The fact that we are now at least three hours past what they were worried about means it is less to collapse (though that could still happen). Water flow over the emergency spillway is expected to stop in the next few or several hours stopping any more erosion there.

From their press release:
    Flow over the auxiliary spillway weir began Saturday morning and has slowed
    considerably
    . DWR officials expect that flow to stop entirely soon, which will reduce the
    erosion on the downstream side of the structure
    As for California agriculture, check this map (wish I could find a better one)- if flooding occurs, it will only effect a small area near Sacramento (area #2 on this map). IF the entire dam broke (which they don't consider even remotely likely), that would impact a much larger area (as well as killing water supplies for agriculture in many other areas).

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-12-2017 at 10:47 PM.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...212-story.html

Butte County Sheriff Kory L. Honea said that a crevice was developing near the lower edge of the emergency spillway and eroding “at a rather significant rate.”
    By Sunday night, state officials determined the erosion rate for the hole at the emergency spillway had slowed, and experts were devising a plan to dump bags of rocks into the crevice to plug the hole, Honea said.

To slow the erosion on the emergency spillway, state Department of Water Resources officials also doubled the flow of water down the main spillway to 100,000 cubic feet per second. The rapid increase drastically reduced the water coming over the emergency spillway to two inches, Honea said.

The dam itself is structurally sound, officials said.
    On Sunday, officials said that although they expected the uncontrolled spill to end, they plan to continue using the concrete spillway to create more storage in the reservoir in anticipation of rainfall later in the week.

“We’re going to continue to flow water down the spillway and lower the lake,” See said. “You’re going to see the lake dropping over the next several days.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-12-2017 at 11:02 PM.

A lot of strategy trying to baby this through until they have time to make more permanent repairs. With inflows still coming in they have to keep draining for a while to keep it from breaching the emergency spillway again. I think at some point though it would make sense to shut the flow down for a few hours before the rain this week and make some temporary repairs to the main spillway channel.

900.7' at 21:00 pst (15 minutes ago). Maybe its a little early to thank God yet, but I'll do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    A lot of strategy trying to baby this through until they have time to make more permanent repairs. With inflows still coming in they have to keep draining for a while to keep it from breaching the emergency spillway again. I think at some point though it would make sense to shut the flow down for a few hours before the rain this week and make some temporary repairs to the main spillway channel.

900.7' at 21:00 pst (15 minutes ago). Maybe its a little early to thank God yet, but I'll do it anyway.
    Repairing the main spillway will take weeks if not months. They would have to re-enforce the cliffside below it and get the hole filled. Then they could look at replacing the concrete. They already estimate about $200 million. First goal is fixing the crack in the emergency one and let the other one go for now. Being only February they could still have more water to deal with- either from rain or snow melt. Not sure if they could come up with some sort of insert to place over the hole until it could be repaired. Maybe some huge sheets of metal?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 02-12-2017 at 11:31 PM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Repairing the main spillway will take weeks if not months. They would have to re-enforce the cliffside below it and get the hole filled. Then they could look at replacing the concrete. They already estimate about $200 million. First goal is fixing the crack in the emergency one and let the other one go for now. Being only February they could still have more water to deal with- either from rain or snow melt. Not sure if they could come up with some sort of insert to place over the hole until it could be repaired. Maybe some huge sheets of metal?
    As I understand it (and I could be wrong) there isn't a crack in the emergency spillway. AFAIK they were worried about the ground eroding from the overages at the emergency spillway causing a structural failure. The article you posted makes it seem like they are plugging a hole in the wall but I think it is actually them adding the bags of stone to a hole in the ground to add structural support to the spillway.

I think even just adding boulders to the hole in the main spillway would prevent the water from crashing down so hard to help reduce further erosion. And just having the boulders in the hole would reduce the amount of water that would flow down the hole (instead running down the path it should).
    Last edited by P3ter_Griffin; 02-12-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    As I understand it (and I could be wrong) there isn't a crack in the emergency spillway. AFAIK they were worried about the ground eroding from the overages at the emergency spillway causing a structural failure. The article you posted makes it seem like they are plugging a hole in the wall but I think it is actually them adding the bags of stone to a hole in the ground to add structural support to the spillway.
    You are right. The crack is not in the emergency spillway itself.

a crevice was developing near the lower edge of the emergency spillway

Los Angeles, CA

Let this dusty old libtard Jerry Brown swim in this waste sewer. God punishes this liberal nanny state.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    Let this dusty old libtard Jerry Brown swim in this waste sewer. God punishes this liberal nanny state.
    Is that why you choose to live there (according to your avitar)?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast