Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amash to run for Libertarian Party nomination?

Amash to run for Libertarian Party nomination?

This is just speculation, but some of Justin's recent tweets are interesting. He has a pinned tweet on the top of his page which simply says "soon," and in one of his tweets today he said "a party is a tool for identifying & organizing people w/ similar political views. It's not a substitute for morals, principles, or judgment." This could all just mean that he's planning on making a formal endorsement of the Libertarian Party nominee, not actually running himself. But, some of his tweets seem to suggest that it's at least a possibility that he could be thinking of running for President himself in the LP.

https://twitter.com/justinamash?lang=en

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    This is just speculation, but some of Justin's recent tweets are interesting. He has a pinned tweet on the top of his page which simply says "soon," and in one of his tweets today he said "a party is a tool for identifying & organizing people w/ similar political views. It's not a substitute for morals, principles, or judgment." This could all just mean that he's planning on making a formal endorsement of the Libertarian Party nominee, not actually running himself. But, some of his tweets seem to suggest that it's at least a possibility that he could be thinking of running for President himself in the LP.

If he could manage to do it without losing his House seat, I'd be 100% behind him.

I doubt it, but it would be a game changer if he did.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I doubt it, but it would be a game changer if he did.
    If he did Johnson, McAfee and Petersen should just stand aside. Honestly. Amash could easily get the LP 15-20% by the time the election came around.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    If he could manage to do it without losing his House seat, I'd be 100% behind him.
    What are the laws in Michigan regarding that? Can you run for two offices at the same time in Michigan?

What are the laws in Michigan regarding that? Can you run for two offices at the same time in Michigan?
    Good question, I have no idea.

Fly my Googlers, fly!

So, he endorses Teddy "Trans Pacific Partnership/North American Union" Cruz, but since it looks like Trump is going to win the nomination, he wants to run against him to do his part to ensure that Hillary wins?
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    So, he endorses Teddy "Trans Pacific Partnership/North American Union" Cruz, but since it looks like Trump is going to win the nomination, he wants to run against him to do his part to ensure that Hillary wins?
    Yea...

You nailed it...

The whole liberty movement and all actual libertarians are just a conspiracy to prevent Dear Leader from making 'Murica Great Again!

Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 05-05-2016 at 08:28 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yea...

You nailed it...

The whole liberty movement and all actual libertarians are just a conspiracy to prevent Dear Leader from making 'Murica Great Again!
    I don't think Amash speaks for the entire liberty movement, any more than you do.

But, I do find it odd that he would endorse Ted Cruz and then do this. Very odd.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

I don't think Amash speaks for the entire liberty movement, any more than you do.

But, I do find it odd that he would endorse Ted Cruz and then do this. Very odd.
    Amash is a libertarian.

There's nothing odd about a libertarian endorsing Cruz over Trump, as Cruz is somewhat libertarian-ish, while Trump is a progressive Democrat.

Nor would there be anything odd in a libertarian running against Trump.

What's odd is a "libertarian" supporting Trump.

There is nothing in that twitter feed that would even remotely suggest that Amash is considering running for the LP presidential nomination. At most he might say he won't support Trump. Big whoop.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    There is nothing in that twitter feed that would even remotely suggest that Amash is considering running for the LP presidential nomination. At most he might say he won't support Trump. Big whoop.
    and this. ^^^

Honestly, it would be just as likely that he might run for the Constitution Party.

It's all just speculation. Of course, the OP opened stating this.

Amash is a libertarian.

There's nothing odd about a libertarian endorsing Cruz over Trump, as Cruz is somewhat libertarian-ish, while Trump is a progressive Democrat.

Nor would there be anything odd in a libertarian running against Trump.

What's odd is a "libertarian" supporting Trump.
    Cruz is about as close to a libertarian as a hole in the head. Unless you are saying all libertarians are globalists, who would sell their country down the river economically, placing international ruling bodies above our own Congress.
    ================

Unless you are saying all libertarians are globalists, who would sell their country down the river economically, placing international ruling bodies above our own Congress.
    You must be new here. In my time here, that is exactly what I've learned most libertarians are and support. One of the many reasons I won't identify as one of them.

You must be new here. In my time here, that is exactly what I've learned most libertarians are and support. One of the many reasons I won't identify as one of them.
    Yeah, I keep hoping. Because Ron Paul isn't like that.
    ================

Trump is a far worse candidate than Cruz was, and will make a horrible President if he wins. It's not at all surprising that Amash endorsed Cruz but could make a 3rd party run against Trump and Hillary.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't agree that there's nothing in his twitter feed to suggest that, but I did put a question mark at the end of my sentence and said it was just speculation.

Trump is a far worse candidate than Cruz was, and will make a horrible President if he wins. It's not at all surprising that Amash endorsed Cruz but could make a 3rd party run against Trump and Hillary.
    Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, Cruz is a flat out traitor.
    ================

Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree. In my opinion, Cruz is a flat out traitor.
    In my opinion Trump is worse than Cruz on everything except for foreign policy. I do like a few of his foreign policy views like asking that our allies pay us for defending them. But, for me that just doesn't trump all of his liberal/progressive positions on domestic issues. He also changes positions constantly and doesn't have any kind of consistent worldview. He just believes in promoting himself.

At most he might say he won't support Trump. Big whoop.
    That's a fairly large whoop, actually.

What would be odd about it? Both are moves to stop Trump. It's perfectly consistent.

And really, what alternative does he have? To just sit back and let Trump become president?

In my opinion Trump is worse than Cruz on everything except for foreign policy. I do like a few of his foreign policy views like asking that our allies pay us for defending them. But, for me that just doesn't trump all of his liberal/progressive positions on domestic issues. He also changes positions constantly and doesn't have any kind of consistent worldview. He just believes in promoting himself.
    I'm not convinced that Trump is better than Cruz on foreign policy.

Cruz is about as close to a libertarian as a hole in the head.
    Non-exhaustive list of anti-libertarian policies which Trump supports and Cruz does not:
    -QE
    -stimulus spending
    -bank bailouts
    -auto bailouts
    -socialized medicine
    -eminent domain
    -45% tax on imports
    -assault weapons ban
    -Libya War
    -Iraq War

Unless you are saying all libertarians are globalists, who would sell their country down the river economically, placing international ruling bodies above our own Congress.
    Yea, totally, only a globalist would oppose the aforementioned policies, amiright?
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 05-05-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Non-exhaustive list of anti-libertarian policies which Trump supports and Cruz does not:
    -QE
    -stimulus spending
    -bank bailouts
    -auto bailouts
    -socialized medicine
    -eminent domain
    -45% tax on imports
    -assault weapons ban
    -Libya War
    -Iraq War

Yea, totally, only a globalist would oppose the aforementioned policies, amiright?
    That might be true if your list was accurate; but it is not. Oh, and "amiright" is not a word.
    ================

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh goody. This must be the new thread everybody goes to to snipe at each other.
    "The Patriarch"

You like the idea of the Trans Pacific Partnership? I think you might want to research that a bit more.
    ================

That might be true if your list was accurate; but it is not.
    Oh? Which of those policies did Trump not support? Or which did Cruz support?

Cruz flip flopped to a more draconian position on rounding up illegals than Trump's & profiling arabs. Then Amash endorsed him.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

You like the idea of the Trans Pacific Partnership? I think you might want to research that a bit more.
    I like the idea of lower tariffs between countries. I understand the TPP is thousands of pages of unnecessary rules and regulations, and I can understand why libertarians would be opposed to it for that reason. But, if you had a trade agreement that was simply one page long that said, "all tariffs between the United States and the other nations in this agreement are now repealed," then there certainly wouldn't be any reason to oppose it. Lowering tariffs is as much a pro liberty concept as is lowering taxes.

Brett is coming from the vantage point of a Ron Paul supporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast