Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tales from my youth

Tales from my youth

Onyare was a large , dragon like horned serpent that swam underneath the Great Lakes . It had poisonous breath and could overturn canoes and devour men . Only God with powers over Thunder , storms etc could be invoked to save you from the serpent . Many tried to spare themselves by making offerings to the great horned snake to show it respect . I mention this because it has been some time since I have seen any news stories about lake monster sightings in the lakes . I wonder if they are all gone . Maybe it is safe now in the fall for Danke to travel on the waters in Oct and Nov ?
    Do something Danke

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Stone Coats were a race of Giants with rock hard scales that covered the body about twice as tall as a man . They would hunt and eat a human in the lean winter months if they could . The hard skin protected them from arrows .
    Last edited by oyarde; 10-24-2017 at 04:26 PM.

It makes me wonder why humans became the "apex" species. I watched the PBS "Vietnam" series and what one of the fellas said stuck with me. I'm paraphrasing here but it was along the lines of..."They called us baby killers. They said boot camped washed away our humanity. The truth was that boot camp was just a finishing school."

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Onyare was a large , dragon like horned serpent that swam underneath the Great Lakes . It had poisonous breath and could overturn canoes and devour men . Only God with powers over Thunder , storms etc could be invoked to save you from the serpent . Many tried to spare themselves by making offerings to the great horned snake to show it respect . I mention this because it has been some time since I have seen any news stories about lake monster sightings in the lakes . I wonder if they are all gone . Maybe it is safe now in the fall for Danke to travel on the waters in Oct and Nov ?
    It's never safe for Danke outside by himself. That Wendiago has his scent and I fear he'd never make on the boat.

I've also noticed there hasn't been any recent Bigfoot news. I hope he's okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

ONYARE
    Branching, jagged antlers line this ink-black salamander’s back from head to tail. Acrid fumes pour from its mouth between rows of needle-like teeth.
    Onyare CR 5
    XP 1,600
    CE Large outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)
    Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +6
    Defense
    AC 18, touch 11, flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +7 natural, –1 size)
    hp 51 (6d10+18)
    Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +6
    DR 5/cold iron or good; Immune electricity, poison; Resist acid 10, cold 10, fire 10; SR 16
    Offense
    Speed 30 ft., swim 30 ft.
    Melee bite +10 (1d8+5), gore +10 (1d8+5 plus horn seeds)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
    Special Attacks breath weapon (every 1d4 rounds, 15 ft. cone, 6d6 acid damage, Reflex half DC 15)
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 6th, concentration +7)
    At will—greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), scare (DC 13)
    1/day—haunting mists (Ultimate Magic, DC 13), summon (level 3, 1d3 dretches at 40%)
    Statistics
    Str 20, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 12
    Base Atk +6; CMB +12; CMD 24 (cannot be tripped)
    Feats Improved Initiative, Lunge, Power Attack
    Skills Perception +10, Sense Motive +10, Stealth +11, Survival +7, Swim +19; Racial Modifiers +4 Stealth, +8 Swim
    Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic; telepathy 100 ft.
    SQ aquatic adaptation
    Ecology
    Environment abyss
    Organization solitary or pair
    Treasure standard
    Special Abilities
    Aquatic Adaptation (Ex) An onyare can breathe underwater indefinitely and can freely use its breath weapon and other abilities while underwater.
    Horn Seeds (Ex) When an onyare hits a creature with its gore attack, tips of its antlers break off and begin growing in the target’s body as bony, antler-like nodules. Damage caused by the horn seeds cannot be magically or naturally healed until the bony growths are removed, which requires a DC 15 Heal check and deals 3d8 points of damage to the target. For every 5 by which the Heal check exceeds the DC, reduce the damage by 1d8 (minimum 0). Outsiders with the chaotic subtype are immune to this effect. This is a disease effect. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Horn Seeds (Ex) Gore—injury; save Fort DC 15, onset 1 day, frequency 1 day, effect 1d4 Dex and 1 Con damage, cure 2 consecutive saves.
    Cunning and cruel, onyares are horned demons that lurk in the lakes and tarns of abyssal swamplands. Constantly adapting to the needs of their environment, Onyares grow and shed primitive, gaunt limbs in a matter of minutes – effective for overland travel between mires, but too weak for combat. Onyares instead rely on their needle-sharp teeth and corrosive breath, but their most infamous weapon is their antlers, which break off into victims and form horn-like growths that impede movement and drain vitality. Each antler is a fast-growing shard of primordial chaos that consumes normal flesh and sprouts new branches. An onyare constantly sheds damaged or dead antlers, using the broken points to decorate its lair and mark the edges of its territory.
    An onyare is between 8 and 11 feet long, weigh roughly 400 pounds, and can possess up to 5 primitive limbs at any given time. They form from mortal souls who thrived in mass hysteria, exploiting panic and tragedy for entertainment or personal gain. They delight in using their spell-like abilities to frighten intruders, giving chase as they flee in terror. They are often summoned to the Material Plane to serve as guardians for hidden lairs and vaults within the marshes, though their restless, chaotic nature often leads them to abandon their posts and stalk the wilderness for mortals to torment.
    Written by Nicholas Wasko
    Artwork by Zul Fadhli Kamarrudin
    Edited by William Ward
    https://outlandentertainment.com/cre...icholas-wasko/

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by shakey1 View Post
    Reminds me of a Sleestack. Maybe they're biologically related.

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

The Jogah were little people , knee high to four feet and very strong , a race of nature spirits . They liked tobacco . Mostly seen by children .

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It's never safe for Danke outside by himself. That Wendiago has his scent and I fear he'd never make on the boat.

I've also noticed there hasn't been any recent Bigfoot news. I hope he's okay.
    According to the Official Bigfoot Poll in Hot Topics , nearly 60 percent know of Bigfoot .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Jogah were little people , knee high to four feet and very strong , a race of nature spirits . They liked tobacco . Mostly seen by children .

The Audion Zoo in New Orleans has a "swamp monster" on display that is their crappy version of the Loup-Garou. It stuck in my head from childhood.

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Danke has been working in Asia . Only reason I mention it is that kid has kind of the same gleam in the eye as Danke .

Danke has been working in Asia . Only reason I mention it is that kid has kind of the same gleam in the eye as Danke .
    I'm sure there are lots of little Dankes running around Asia.

The Flying Heads are the large heads of the undead , with fiery eyes and long , tangled hair , they can appear in Whirlwinds in the fall and winter and will chase after humans to devour . Wendigos may transform themselves into a Flying Head .

The Flying Heads are the large heads of the undead , with fiery eyes and long , tangled hair , they can appear in Whirlwinds in the fall and winter and will chase after humans to devour . Wendigos may transform themselves into a Flying Head .
    Sounds like a few of my neighbors...

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Nice sunny day today . Maybe Danke could paddle across Lake Michigan today .

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One brother was a fan of Big Foot and Sasquatch. I wasn't sure what the difference was but I thought he was a dumb ass. Turns out, I was right.

My second oldest brother, thought angels were visiting him at night when he was a kid. My mother told him it was just car lights coming through the fancy new mini blinds she put all over the house but he didn't believe her. She thought taking them out of his room would shut him up but he still talks about those angels when he's explaining his version of the impending apocalypse. I think she regrets buying those mini blinds because she gets pissed off every time he mention the mini blind angels. I thought he was a crazy ass. Turns out, I was right.

I would stay up late on the weekends and watch scary movies even though I wasn't suppose to. I was deathly afraid a vampire was going to get me so I started sleeping with covers bunched up around my neck. I wanted a garlic necklace to sleep in but my mom wouldn't let me have one. (I also wanted a wheelchair and she she wouldn't let me have one of those either) Then I saw a movie where the vampire sucked the blood out of a girls feet. That disturbed me on many levels because I not only hate vampires, I also hate having my feet touched. I started wearing dirty socks to bed. The neck covers and dirty sock tricks worked because I never got snacked on by a vampire. To this day, I still wear socks to bed. Even in the summer. Vampires seem to be more active in the winter months (I've never seen a vampire beach movie) but you can never be too careful.

Even in the summer. Vampires seem to be more active in the winter months (I've never seen a vampire beach movie) but you can never be too careful.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Damn, I suspected there were beach vampires out there but never saw one on late night tv. Good thing I stayed viglient all the years.

I suspect beach vampires are the nutty vampires none of the other vampires want to hang out with which makes them especially dangerous. What kind of self respecting vampire would use QT because that's the only thing that can make skin turn that orange.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post

I remember an old Cree I would hunt with from when I was young when I was way up North . Late at night by the fire he told me of a Giant Stiff Legged Bear called Man Eater . He said it was 9 1/2 feet tall .

Beside satellite TV, I doubt much has changed on Oyarde's reservation since his youth.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Beside satellite TV, I doubt much has changed on Oyarde's reservation since his youth.
    When I was young , at the end of Oct was of course the time to stalk the creek banks for Wood Ducks that were down from Canada . Sometimes near gravel & sand bars there would be muscle shell middens in places where I was the only man to ever be as they were too difficult to reach. There would be no trace of any man . It is said these were left by Bigfoot . One can never tell , maybe they were left there by vikings who wandered South , as unskilled hunters shellfish would have been a common food for them in the americas I think .
    Last edited by oyarde; 11-14-2017 at 10:25 PM.

I'm sure there are lots of little Dankes running around Asia.
    Danke will not let his kid smoke in the truck , he is anal like that .

I remember once at the end of Oct , I was jump shooting Wood Ducks on the Creek and I had two down , one on the other side and one in the middle . The water was deep and the current swift so I swam for the one in the middle first . I got it , got the one on the other side and while swimming back I swam into a very sharp stick that pierced my lung . The bank was high and steep and I had difficulty getting back up gasping for air . Long walk back but I was OK once I finally caught my breath and could regulate my breathing , for a few minutes before I felt like a fish looks out of the water .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some of the fundamentals I learned as a youngster were a deep love for the land and respect for the gifts of the Creator . It is time I think for @Danke to learn these things I can teach him. It is customary he bring a gift to the great Sagamore . Today I bought a Smith & Wesson .38 so some boxes of ammo would be an appropriate gift .

Some of the fundamentals I learned as a youngster were a deep love for the land and respect for the gifts of the Creator . It is time I think for @Danke to learn these things I can teach him. It is customary he bring a gift to the great Sagamore . Today I bought a Smith & Wesson .38 so some boxes of ammo would be an appropriate gift .
    How many beads did that set you back?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    How many beads did that set you back?
    I got a box and a half , the revolver and an extra set of grips for 185 FRN's about , because I traded an About Uncirculated 1893 Morgan silver dollar and he gave me the gun , ammo and 40 FRNs. I think I gave 225 FRN's for that dollar at one time .

I could use a holster too . I prefer leather .

I could use a holster too . I prefer leather .
    Don't you have some buffalo hides laying around you could use to make one?
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Don't you have some buffalo hides laying around you could use to make one?
    Yeah but I sleep in it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast