Thread: Should small businesses be allowed to discriminate?

Should small businesses be allowed to discriminate?

In an effort to discourage frivolous lawsuits against small businesses, I think it would be a good idea to allow small businesses (less than 500 people according to US gov) to discriminate. It is hard to argue the impact of such a "discrimination" would be significant for anybody as they would always have an option of going to a bigger business where they would be guaranteed not to be discriminated against.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only if the business is owned, employed, or caters to people of color or any entity other than caucasian.

You lose me at "allowed."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You lose me at "allowed."
    /thread
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    /thread
    If it only were so simple.

Discrimination is an everyday thing. If you run a restaurant you will want to discriminate against against rotten botulism ridden food, so that your customers don't all croak, sue you, or just leave.

Same with people, throw the rotten ones out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Should women be allowed to discriminate against who they sleep with
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Last edited by timosman; 07-15-2018 at 05:48 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    It really is that simple.
    If you're asking "should we allow X", there are two possible answers: "Yes", or "That's a stupid question".

Should we allow people to have 5 gallon flush toilets?
    Yes.

Should we allow murder?
    That's a stupid question.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    It really is that simple.
    If you're asking "should we allow X", there are two possible answers: "Yes", or "That's a stupid question".

Should we allow people to have 5 gallon flush toilets?
    Yes.

Should we allow murder?
    That's a stupid question.
    What he said. (!!!)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fisharmor again.

What he said. (!!!)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fisharmor again.
    That's what the government thinks.

I doubt the government would give fisharmour any rep but I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Then the government is right for a change - I really do have to spread some reputation around before giving it to fisharmor again.

Then the government is right for a change - I really do have to spread some reputation around before giving it to fisharmor again.
    For those unaware of the situation the government does not agree with libertarians on this one. #bakethecake

For those unaware of the situation the government does not agree with libertarians on this one. #bakethecake
    And??? &&&???

For those unaware of the situation the government is just as likely to agree with the proposal in the OP as it is to agree with the libertarians!!!

Even less so,,, when you account for the influence of the government'''s big-business cronies who aren'''t going to put up with remaining susceptible to discrimination laws///lawsuits while their smaller competitors do not ... ... ... (((and who don'''t have the PR stones to support the idea that they should be allowed to discriminate,,, too ... ... ...)))

###ridetheunicorn

And??? &&&???

For those unaware of the situation the government is just as likely to agree with the proposal in the OP as it is to agree with the libertarians!!!

Even less so,,, when you account for the influence of the government'''s big-business cronies who aren'''t going to put up with remaining susceptible to discrimination laws///lawsuits while their smaller competitors do not ... ... ... (((and who don'''t have the PR stones to support the idea that they should be allowed to discriminate,,, too ... ... ...)))

###ridetheunicorn
    Looks like we are in a violent agreement.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This will never be allowed, if it ever were possible it would be possible to restore the affected right to everyone.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Why do they want to discriminate? Like booting out Sarah Sanders from a restaurant?

Or just the standard stuff like No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service?

Certainly the Walmartians show they still have a place to shop.

In an effort to discourage frivolous lawsuits against small businesses, I think it would be a good idea to allow small businesses (less than 500 people according to US gov) to discriminate. It is hard to argue the impact of such a "discrimination" would be significant for anybody as they would always have an option of going to a bigger business where they would be guaranteed not to be discriminated against.
    Why only small businesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Why only small businesses?
    It'd be easier to push it through. The big behemoths could join if they wanted but they probably couldn't given how dependent they are on sucking the government tit.

Why must it be less than 500 people?

If by "discriminate", you mean "withhold one's goods and services from another", then I think that nobody is entitled to someone else's labor. Outlawing discrimination is legalizing slavery. By outlawing discrimination, you are saying that someone else has a higher claim on my property than I do, which is a slippery slope when you consider that one's own life is his property.
    I believe the free market protects against discrimination because business owners want as many patrons as possible for larger profits and would also face societal retaliation and pressure against any discriminatory policies.
    If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
    Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by not.your.average.joe View Post
    If by "discriminate", you mean "withhold one's goods and services from another", then I think that nobody is entitled to someone else's labor. Outlawing discrimination is legalizing slavery. By outlawing discrimination, you are saying that someone else has a higher claim on my property than I do, which is a slippery slope when you consider that one's own life is his property.
    I believe the free market protects against discrimination because business owners want as many patrons as possible for larger profits and would also face societal retaliation and pressure against any discriminatory policies.
    Never mind, I agree. I read it wrong.
    Last edited by Madison320; 07-07-2018 at 07:34 PM.

It'd be easier to push it through. The big behemoths could join if they wanted but they probably couldn't given how dependent they are on sucking the government tit.
    I think that "equality under the law" overrides "bad law". For example I wouldn't favor legalizing drugs for government employees (but not the for general population), even if legalizing drugs is a good thing.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    How does withholding one's goods and services say that someone else has a higher claim on my property? In a free society exchanging good and services is voluntary. Forcible exchange is a trait of a totalitarian societies.
    I think he is saying the opposite of what you understood him to be saying.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment