Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rand Paul Calls for Article V Convention

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    All of the founders hated standing armies - or so they said. I don't quite believe it, considering the current US army traces its roots back to before the formation of the US as a country, and whether or not that's technically true, it IS technically true that the current US Army was created prior to the adoption of the Constitution.

They put language in the Constitution that was supposed to disband any army after 2 years, they put language in the Constitution that named the militia explicitly as the tool that would defend the country, and yet here we are, never having not had a standing army.

If the current army goes back to 1784, and the 1789 constitution stated that specific army was not to have funding that lasted more than 2 years, then in at least one respect, the US Constitution failed the second it was ratified.
    Don't, can't, disagree.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Don't, can't, disagree.
    I think a good many of the remnants here understand that it was a CONstitution. The only redeeming factor was the anti-feds inclusion of the "Bill of Rights." Fer Christ's sake, the Feds wanted a Constitutional Monarchy and invited the gay debauched prince of Austria to be our monarch. That's how $#@!ing desperate the Federalists were.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Yeah he's called for this before and he's dead wrong. I love Rand but no one in their right mind would want the dumbasses who run our current state legislatures to have the chance to screw with the Bill of Rights.
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Why is that worse than standing idly by while the corrupt animals in Washington ignore it and pass legislation which violates it?

Who said anything about letting them write the changes?
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Why is that worse than standing idly by while the corrupt animals in Washington ignore it and pass legislation which violates it?
    False choice, I support nullification.

Who said anything about letting them write the changes?
    Look at who's supporting an article V convention. And explain to me your plan for how the Liberty Movement can take over something bigger than the 2012 RNC where we failed to nominate Ron Paul, even when we were at our high water mark point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I haven't heard any CC proponent float the idea of using the convention to simply dissolve the compact and letting the states be states.
    And the reason for that is 95% of the CC people are at best TeoCons. They support changing the constitution because they consider secession and nullification to be treason. In their minds a BBA will automatically stop reckless spending, they are delusional and poorly informed.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

~Resident Badgiraffe

Well, there are ways to test the waters and see how state legislators would act without conventions. Raimondo has an interesting article up on the Bricker Amendment:

Section 1. A provision of a treaty which conflicts with this Constitution shall not be of any force or effect.

Section 2. A treaty shall become effective as internal law in the United States only through legislation which would be valid in the absence of treaty.

Section 3. Congress shall have power to regulate all executive and other agreements with any foreign power or international organization. All such agreements shall be subject to the limitations imposed on treaties by this article.

Section 4. The congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
    This thing is written. We could lobby state legislators to enact it just like it stands.

Well, there are ways to test the waters and see how state legislators would act without conventions. Raimondo has an interesting article up on the Bricker Amendment:

This thing is written. We could lobby state legislators to enact it just like it stands.
    Going through the normal amendment process is a much better idea and that is a very good amendment.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Going through the normal amendment process is a much better idea and that is a very good amendment.
    I doubt Congress would pass it through the "normal" process.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I doubt Congress would pass it through the "normal" process.
    It is even less likely that our current politicians would leave the Bill of Rights intact at an A5 convention.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

It is even less likely that our current politicians would leave the Bill of Rights intact at an A5 convention.
    Much less likely the federal Congress would do so. Thus the strategy of going through the states.

I, for one, have had enough of the federal government. It will never police itself. State governments are much more directly accountable to voters, and it's much more expensive to buy state legislative elections just because there are so many of them.

There's more than one way to amend the Constitution, and I believe it's time to take the road less traveled. It's more likely to work, and there's a lot to be said for reminding people that it's possible. Why would anyone want to have anything to do with the "normal" process at all? When was the last time it produced an amendment worthy of the Constitution? The eighteenth century?
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-27-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Ooooooooooookay.
    Not a sInCeRe pOstEr.
    Last edited by Danke; 03-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.

I support the convention if only I , most sincere of all Americans , get to vote .

I can't seriously expect a new CC to produce more freedom, instead of less, not in today's political climate.

Having said that, the current Constitution isn't the law of the land any more any way, but rather is US Inc. corporation bylaws that are to be honored when possible. In that light, it seems to me that A CC today would be a redrafting of new corporation bylaws (as is done after a corporation emerges from bankruptcy and reorganizes), not re-establishing the common law rights of the Republic.

The CFL opposes a new CC. Curious why Rand is supporting it. Probably because Rand, as Senator, is aware of the bigger picture situation regarding the bankruptcy of US Inc while CFL staff probably isn't.
    Last edited by devil21; 03-28-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

A Constitutional reorganization could be beneficial, but rewriting the Bill of Rights with bold-faced type won't accomplish anything.

You need to understand why this system failed in the first place.

It had little or nothing to do with the language or style of the document.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 03-28-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12